main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The 2008 US Elections: Discussion, Opinion, Predictions

Discussion in 'Archive: The Senate Floor' started by Vaderize03, Nov 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    You're right. Which is why, given that we've spent decades trying to 'end' racism, and even today there were protests in D.C. that it hasn't been done, we should give up on that one too. North Korea has been trying to have nukes and oppress its people for decades, we should just let that happen. I mean, they probably won't try to retake South Korea, right?

Simply, I don't think we're in a hole. I think going into Iraq was a mistake, and more importantly, it was poorly executed, but I don't think that is the same as an unwinable solution.

2. Jediflyer

Jediflyer Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 5, 2001
    So do you believe than every situation must have a solution?

Do you think if we hadn't withdrawn in Vietnam, we would have won?

3. Blue_Jedi33

Blue_Jedi33 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 12, 2003
    Just for Fun

http://thecrossedpond.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/07/obiron.jpg

[face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

4. jamesdrax

jamesdrax Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 30, 2000
    I think we better get indoors. The Democrats may be startled, but they'll soon be back... and in greater numbers too.

5. Blue_Jedi33

Aug 12, 2003
    If you really think Ron Paul has no chance in NH, consider the following. In other news microtrends are interesting, see comments below.*

New Hampshire Straw Poll Results - 2008 Presidential Election
    Veteran's Park Straw Poll
    9/16/07
    N=?
    Source
    Candidate %
    Ron Paul 66
    Fred Thompson 10
    Rudy Giuliani 9
    Mike Huckabee 7
    Mitt Romney 3
    Tom Tancredo 2
    John Cox 2
    John McCain 1
    Sam Brownback 1

Strafford County (NH) Republican Party
    8/18/07
    N=288
    Source
    Candidate %
    Ron Paul 73
    Mitt Romney 9
    Mike Huckabee 7
    Tom Tancredo 3
    John McCain 2
    John Cox 2
    Duncan Hunter 2
    Fred Thompson 2
    Rudy Giuliani 1
    Sam Brownback 0

9th Annual CNHT Family Reunion Picnic
    7/7/07
    N=294
    Source
    Candidate Votes
    Ron Paul 182
    Rudy Giuliani 22
    Daniel Gilbert 20
    Mitt Romney 13
    Mike Huckabee 10
    Tommy Thompson 9
    Sam Brownback 8
    Duncan Hunter 6
    Newt Gingrich 5
    John Cox 4
    Fred Thompson 4
    Tom Tancredo 3
    Robert Haines 2
    George Phillies 2
    John McCain 1
    Barack Obama 1
    Dennis Kucinich 1
    Mickey Mouse 1

Mickey Mouse[face_laugh]

Taken from usaelectionpolls

From *'Microtrends: The Small Forces Behind Tomorrow's Big Changes'

"Microtrends is based on the idea that the most powerful forces in our society are the emerging, counterintuitive trends that are shaping tomorrow right before us...
    The power of individual choice has never been greater, and the reasons and patterns for those choices never harder to understand and analyze. The skill of microtargeting ? identifying small, intense subgroups and communicating with them about their individual needs and wants -- has never been more critical in marketing or in political campaigns. The one-size-fits-all approach to the world is dead."

My observations of the Ron Paul movement, is we are observing a microtrend, will it catch on, I don't really know, but it's interesting to watch anyways.

6. Espaldapalabras

Espaldapalabras Jedi Master star 5

Aug 25, 2005
    [face_beatup] <--- How basic reasoning skills feel when you post straw polls.

Yes Ron Paul is a microtrend, along with wanna be snipers. Doesn't mean he is going to get elected or we are going to have a country full of snipers.

7. Blue_Jedi33

Aug 12, 2003
    Actually after thinking about it, I've changed my mind I agree with everybody who say straw polls are useless for the general election however I disagree for the primaries, people who vote in straw polls are motivated more than the average voter, the person who votes in a primary is the same type of person. In 2004 the primaries for the GOP had very very low turn outs, nobody really cared. In 2008 the primary turnout will be huge for the GOP.

8. Lane_Winree

Lane_Winree Jedi Master star 4

Mar 30, 2006
    KK had a decent explanation concerning the worthlessness of straw polls on the old thread. I'd recommend reading it over.

9. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Rogue Ten
    Yeah. Who needs "Human Rights" anyways?! Most of the world seems to be getting along just fine without them.

It was a great question and Dodd's answer was especially good following Richardson's where he basically said he'd dictate to Pakistan everything from judicial system reform to seperation of powers.

The fact is, the two are NEVER mutually exclusive.

You mean like our historical and current relationship with China? How about Egypt? Saudi Arabia? Russia? Georgia? Turkey?

You have little "facts" based in actual reality.

10. Espaldapalabras

Espaldapalabras Jedi Master star 5

Aug 25, 2005
    The 2004 GOP primary had very low turnouts because GWB had no opponent. Please go study basic statistics 101. I did, and now I can tell the difference between totally stupid polls and more scientific oens. I am no mathmatician, all I did was take one class in college, and from that I can tell you that unless your sample is somehow representative of the group you are trying to study, there is no way you can tell anything from your sample, no matter how big it may be. (Unless of course it is so big it covers the entire population)

All it really does is tell us that that 1-2% of support Ron Paul has, is full of crazy people who have nothing better to do with their time than spam anything that even mentions Ron Paul. So if the election is held the day of the apocalypse, yes Ron Paul will win because they will face nuclear radiation and zombies so they can vote for Ron Paul. [face_flag]

11. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    Well, that depends. Do the zombies have a candidate? [face_thinking]

12. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    Do the zombies have a candidate?

Yes, Guiliani and Clinton.

13. FIDoAlmighty

FIDoAlmighty Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 31, 2006
    Talk about a low blow. But I agree with that assessment. However, it's an insult to zombies.

14. Mr44

Mr44 VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 21, 2002
  15. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    I wonder if Ron Paul fans see themselves as we see them? ;)

E_S

16. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    I wonder if Ron Paul fans see themselves as we see them?

For people who largely think individual liberty is eroding, and our national sovereignty is at risk, I doubt the JC Senate criticism keeps them up at night.

The black helicopters maybe, but not this place.

[face_alien_1]

17. JMJacenSolo

JMJacenSolo Jedi Master star 4

May 21, 2006
    I wonder how quickly the Ron Paul Revolution will evaporate if he finishes in single digits in New Hampshire.

18. FIDoAlmighty

FIDoAlmighty Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 31, 2006
    I believe that as well, but I don't think the Keebler Elf is the answer.

19. Blue_Jedi33

Aug 12, 2003
    Ok I am not voting for Ron Paul, nor am I encourging other poeple to vote for him, my point is simply this, people keep saying it's impossible for him to win and he is crazy, thats where my dispute comes into play. I don't think he is crazy, and I don't think it is impossible for him to win. His idea's are not politically correct because they take America back to the founding fathers of America, unless you think they were crazy too, oh they were crazy to think they could break away from the world power of their time, but they did it anyway. Crazy stuff has happens.

This video sums it up
    http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=nMP3rkDNlQk

20. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    He is crazy for suggesting it makes sense to roll back several centuries of the development of federal government over the course of, at best, 8 years, to a point so minimalist it is not observed in any modern government at all.

21. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    You guys are so cute with your man love for talk of liberty. Most people in the world will take security over liberty and the current US would be more more liberal than anything they get. But you know, I guess the world needs idealists. :p ;)

E_S

22. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    In your opinion.

23. Raven

Raven Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998

Ron Paul interests me, simply because his supporters seem to be somewhat fanatical, and because I hadn't heard squat about him before recently. I had heard the name once or twice. And then I saw that he was a major contender for Man of the Year. Baffled me. Maybe it comes from living in Canada, not being exposed to the American media machine too directly. But honestly, his support seems concentrated among some very strong supporters, with the vast majority of the population apathetic towards him. His followers make up for lack of numbers by sheer volume, so far as I can see.

24. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Well Vivec you keep dodging requests to provide yours, so...

E_S

25. Jansons_Funny_Twin

Jansons_Funny_Twin Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 31, 2002
    Being an avid watcher of American politics (I focused on the international variety, but national politics were a close second), I'd never heard of him before either, so I doubt being a Canuckistani had anything to do with it.

But like you said, they're fanatics, and fanatics always make more noise than their numbers would have you believe.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.