main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Mod!Challenge The 2009 Dare Challenge: ** Dares posted!! **

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by VaderLVR64, Jan 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    I'm at 2200 words and trying to finish the plot and then pare it down because the person demanded this incredibly complicated plot that I could spend 20,000 words writing properly.

2. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    [face_whistling]

Not sure, but then again it could be me, Ish. I've been thinking mine was too complex for this challenge.

3. JediMasterAmanda

JediMasterAmanda Jedi Master star 5

Sep 7, 2005
    are there going to be anymore dares this year? cause I would like to get a dare to do. I think it might help me with my writing skills...

4. JediNemesis

JediNemesis Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 27, 2003
    Mine's finished. I got all the requirements into the one post but was bitten by major bunnies, so . . . it's the opening of something longer. Obviously only the one post counts for judging purposes :)

This story must have: A Jedi who just happens to be a vampire, a Sith Lord who's been having visions of angels, a young woman named Orpah (no, not Oprah ) who is sentenced to be executed for a crime she didn't commit, and an ancient tomb haunted by the spirits of three vile witches...

Bad Dreams

5. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    So, some insane person gave me this challenge:

Action/Drama in which...

1. Evidence has been presented Han and Lando are traitors to the Rebellion.

Include as yet undiscovered Imperial spy

2. Leia doggedly pursues them with the intent to execute. Luke is with her.

Include lapse in judgment by Leia due the stress of the chase and its origin.

Include a fire fight between the parties

3. A standoff occurs that appears to give Han and Lando no escape.

Include heated argument between Han and Lando.

4. A secret meeting with Leia occurs to broker surrender, but soon breaks down.

Include misunderstood hostage situation

Include phrases: ?You kriffing bastard!?, ?It never occurred to you to ask us??, and ?Hate looks good on you.?

5. Han, Leia, and Lando jump off a cliff.

Include humor about having to swim and being wet.

Supply your own ending.

3115 words later, I had just managed to get all of those requirements written without making it an utterly crappy story. Then I had to pare down 615 words without losing the story. So, here is the @#$(&@#$ thing. Fess up. Who expected that epic to fit into 2500 words?

6. SoA

SoA Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 2, 2008
    Oh man, I feel your pain there, I just finished mine at 3227 words, another similarly long challenge. I've got the afternoon to pair it down. *whips out the red pen*

I swear, the hardest part of this challenge is the word count constraint.

7. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    I made my dare easy--songs can only have so many lyrics.

8. madman007

madman007 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 22, 2007
    Tell me about it! I had to rewrite a three hour musical as a Star Wars epic with only 2500 words. I had so much more planned with it if it wasn't for the limit.

9. KELIA

KELIA Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 26, 2005
    We only do the Dare challenge once a year, however, when the challenge is over, there are usually dares that were issued that were not written that become available to write.

Check back in this thread. Someone may be willing to send you what they got and were not able to do.

10. CloneCaptainRex

CloneCaptainRex Jedi Master star 4

Aug 31, 2008
    QFT.

I have one, if you want it.
    I didn't get around to doing it.

You want it?

11. SoA

SoA Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 2, 2008
  12. Lolly_Tolly

Lolly_Tolly Jedi Master star 4

Apr 12, 2008
    Ok, I'm not going to get mine done within the time, mostly because of computer problems, partly because of procrastination, but it should be up in the next couple of days... I hope. :p

13. JediMasterAmanda

Sep 7, 2005
    sure I'll take it.

14. Seremela

Seremela Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 12, 2008
    Made it!!!! And yes, I agree, darn that word limit[face_frustrated] Did manage to bring it down eventually *wipes brow*

Corellian Flight

15. Alexis_Wingstar

Alexis_Wingstar Jedi Master star 4

Sep 16, 2006
    Okay, I wrote this in about two hours or so, though I've been doing some research for a month for it. Dueling Duets is what I came up with for this dare:

Write a viggie where Dooku and Ventress take on Ani and Obi in a duel. The catch: Dooks and Ventress must be singing a duet. You can use any song you want, but try to find a song that fits the situation. A good idea would to modify to lyrics to make it more funny.

Your choice if Ani/Obi join in on the song or a song of their own.

16. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    I'm still working on it and I'm really going to try but I don't think I'm going to get mine finished before the deadline. :(

I've been so busy (and I'll admit I'm a big procrastinator) but I forgot I had tickets to a dinner theater to night and that took up my planned writing time. But I will get it done soon!

*goes back to writing*

17. Alexis_Wingstar

Sep 16, 2006
    I get the feeling the dare I gave isn't gonna be written... again. Though I must say, the one I sent in this year is much more... um... insanely evil than the one I sent in last year. Whoever received it is probably sticking needles into a doll that has a remarkable resemblance to me right as I'm typing this post.

Ouch! For some reason I've a splitting headache all of a sudden.
    :p

18. Lolly_Tolly

Lolly_Tolly Jedi Master star 4

Apr 12, 2008
    Oh my gosh! I actually got it done! Yayness! Here it is: http://boards.theforce.net/the_saga/b10476/29894555/r29894558/

'Tis called Visiting Day, and it was really hard. :p

19. Commander-DWH

Commander-DWH Manager Emeritus star 4

Nov 3, 2003
    Awww, nuts. There's no way I'm getting this done in time- life had conspired to keep me too busy to write... but I do like the story, and I'll finish it once I a) have less company, and b) have finished unpacking. :p

20. Obi-Gon_Skywalker

Obi-Gon_Skywalker Jedi Knight star 1

May 25, 2008
    And with two minutes to spare, I posted my response to the challenge on Before the Saga: May I Take Your Order?

Requirements:
    1. Write exactly 2,499 words (thus keeping it one word under the 2500 limit).
    2. Must start the story with "Before a long time ago...."
    3. Must end the story with "...in a galaxy far, far, away."
    4. Must use the followings words: Mustard, ketchup, pickles, onions, relish, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, sesame seed bread (separately and not in the same sentence or paragraph).
    5. Make up a Star Wars themed fast food restaurant.

Notes: Many thanks to the person who issued this dare: you've defintely kept me up late at night stricken with writer's block, but desperate to complete the challenge. And thanks to TheMacUnleashed who inspired me to take on the Dare challenge in the first place.

21. Bri_Windstar

Bri_Windstar Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 27, 2002
    I swear I live for the chance to slip in just under the wire. :p

The Dare: In Buffy the Vampire Slayer, the town of Sunnydale is preyed upon by a demon named Sweet. Throughout one day, they sing and they cannot sing anything but the truth. This is something that causes a lot of angst and humor. In 2500 words or less, write a song for each of the main characters set during the plot of The Empire Strikes Back along these same lines--each song you may not have them conceal anything. That means that you have to have a song of any length for Luke, Leia, Han, Yoda, Vader and Lando. It must rhyme and must include one duet.

Once More, With Feeling

I'm late to the game, so I haven't had the chance to read everyone else's responses yet, but I'm going to tomorrow/Mon. I can't wait to see what everyone came up with! :D

22. Alexis_Wingstar

Sep 16, 2006
    My story's title is listed wrong in the first post index. It says "Dueling Dare" when it's supposed to be "Dueling Duets".

23. p_stotts

p_stotts Jedi Master star 4

Jan 21, 2001
    :( Whoever got the dare I submitted evidently didn't get it in on time. *sigh* It wasn't particularly challenging either, and I was so looking forward to reading what someone did with it. *double sigh*

24. KELIA

KELIA Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 26, 2005
    Fixed [face_blush] [face_blush]

25. JediMasterAmanda

Sep 7, 2005
    ok well Rex sent me the challenge he had gotten, but hadn't gotten to writing it. so I read it and thought 'I cannot do this' and I can't. I know too little about the characters from the movies they are from. anyway he said I can just post it here since it's so impossible to see if anyone else could pull it off. Good luck to anyone who attempts! [face_peace]

Write a multi-crossover story with Severious Snape of the Harry Potter series as the Emperor Palpatine, Tom Bombadill from the Lord of the Rings novels as Obi-wan Kenobi, Speed Racer from doh! Speed Racer as Luke, Bowser from Mario Bros fame as Darth Vader, Pippi Longstocking as Leia, Toto from "Wizard of Oz" as Chewbacca, Wacko Warner from the "Animaniacs" as Han Solo, Calvin from "Calvin and Hobbes" as Yoda, and James Bond as Lando Calrissian. On top of that, use the following quotes:

"Black, white, green, red, can I take my friend to bed?" ~~from the Beatles'"All Together Now"
    "I'm not afraid of death, I just don't want to be there when it happens." ~~Woody Allen
    "Martyrdom is out of style." ~~from "Yoidore Tenshi"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.