main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Challenge The 2012 Calendar Challenge - Military Appreciation in March! - adjusted timeline for "The Move"

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by LexiLupin, Jan 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thumper09

Thumper09 Force Ghost star 4

Dec 9, 2001
    Wow, thank you! [face_blush] And congratulations, Ceillean! I really enjoyed reading all the entries. :)

2. LexiLupin

LexiLupin Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 27, 2011
    Your February Challenge is:

?Leap? Day

Oh, the possibilities?

2012 is one of those years that you have to love? if you were born on February 29th. If you weren?t, you probably don?t care all that much about the fact that there are 366 days in the year instead of 365- but let?s all show our support to those poor souls who only have the opportunity to celebrate a birthday every four years, and get creative!

?When in doubt, make a fool of yourself. There is a microscopically thin line between being brilliantly creative and acting like the most gigantic idiot on earth. So what the hell, leap.?
    -Cynthia Heimel

[image=http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-7Ejf3Acq-zI/TXU55axFISI/AAAAAAAAARU/nE9e9tIHZQo/s1600/tigger.jpg]

Take it literally and show us just why someone is jumping about like a crazy fool; take it in the intended spirit of the holiday and show us something that only occurs every so often, be it clockwork like the calendar or spontaneous.

[image=http://www.cometzone.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/halleys-comet.jpg]
    (that's Halley's comet, fyi... [face_laugh])

Better yet, if you?re feeling really gutsy, Irish legend has it that Leap Day is the day when women are allowed to propose to men- something that I just know a lot of the strong women in Star Wars (not to mention us female writers) would find horribly sexist (I mean, does anyone REALLY think Leia didn't propose to Han anyway? :p) - so let?s see some romantic shenanigans (PG-13 and below, if you please) from those of you who want to tap into the Valentine?s Day spirit while you?re at it.

[image=http://www.stockphotopro.com/photo-thumbs-2/AW81P0.jpg]

Some other fun Leap Day traditions to spur your muse:

-In Scotland, it is considered by some to be unlucky to be born on February 29th.
    -Also in Scotland, the Irish tradition eventually become more commonplace- with the added bonus that, if a man turned down the proposing woman, he faced a fine of anything from a kiss to a silk dress for the spurned lady.
    -In Greece, it is bad luck to be married during a leap year- supposedly resulting in 1 in 5 couples planning their weddings to specifically avoid those years. Guess there will be a decrease in Greek nuptials in 2012.

?Without leaps of imagination, or dreaming, we lose the excitement of possibilities. Dreaming, after all, is a form of planning.?
    - Gloria Steinem

Reminder that responses are due by the 21st.

NOTE: In the event of "the move" happening in February, the schedule will be adjusted accordingly for this month and the next when we're back online.

3. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Yum! Lexi, yum! Mush lover! that I am - oh yes, L/M lovers - get ready. Woohoo!

[face_dancing]

Jinkeehaw about the move. Yes!

=D= =D= =D=

Mesa ready!

[face_laugh]

4. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    ACK!! :_| Darn it! If I waited two days I could have submitted my fic Null Aboard. That had Luke leaping about. Ah well, I guess I will have to think of something else to write about.

5. LoriLynn

LoriLynn Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 13, 2011
    Congrats to Ceillean and Thumper09!!

*~~~*~~~*~~~*

I'm so excited for February. I have two ideas leaping around my head for this prompt (yeah I know--that was lame :p ). I'm going to have to decide which one to write. Maybe I should just write both and then pick?

Decisions, decisions....[face_thinking]

6. Ceillean

Ceillean Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 13, 2001
    Congrats Thumper! And thanks to all those who voted for us. :) All the entries were really fun to read.

And for this challenge...I already have a wonderful, non-mushy idea. :p

7. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
  8. Thumper09

Dec 9, 2001
    My February entry is posted, the continuation of "Finders Keepers". Link. It's the second story post.

9. Ceillean

Nov 13, 2001
    I finally got started on my entry but I now realize that it might turn out to be too long for just one post. *sighs* And I don't want to cut it in half because I like the flow of the story as it is right now.

Is it okay to have two posts for the entry?

10. LexiLupin

Mar 27, 2011
    Gah, I have to catch up on this month's entries! [face_blush]

And yeah, Ceillean, I don't see why not- just make sure you have both entries done by the 21st since that's when voting starts and you don't want people to only have half a story. ;)

11. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
  12. Ceillean

Nov 13, 2001
  13. LoriLynn

LoriLynn Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 13, 2011
    Yay February's prompt is finally done! Leaping for Joy

And now I'm off to read everyone else's. I've been slacking lol

14. LexiLupin

Mar 27, 2011
    My contribution to the Leap theme - Wingmates

15. LexiLupin

Mar 27, 2011
    Reminder that February responses are due in one week by the 21st!

[:D]

16. LexiLupin

Mar 27, 2011
    It's that time again- VOTING!

Our February "Leap" entries are:

Saga

Finders Keepers (part 2) by Thumper09

Leap of Faith by earlybird-obi-wan

Beyond the Saga

A Leap of Faith by Jade_eyes

Leaping for Joy by LoriLynn

PM your vote to ME, LexiLupin, by 11:59pm board time on February 29th!

Ceillean, did you finish your entry? If you did (and just forgot about us) and can pop it up by the end of today, I'll toss it in here, but since it's part 2 that incorporates the month's theme, I won't otherwise. :(

17. Ceillean

Nov 13, 2001
    I did not finish my entry on time, sadly. Real life got in between big time. But I'm almost done and I hope I can have it up by March 1st.

And now...I shall cast my vote.

BTW, Thumpers' story link is wrong. It leads back to this thread. ;)

18. LexiLupin

Mar 27, 2011
    Ack! Thanks for the catch, Connie- should be fixed now.:) Hope that wasn't a problem for anyone.

19. LexiLupin

Mar 27, 2011
    *Drum roll please*

Aaaaaand our February "Leap" winner is...

LoriLynn!

[image=http://www.lorinbellerblake.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/celebrate2-300x225.jpg]

A big congrats to Lori! Colors should be coming your way soon.
    =D=@};-[face_dancing]

And a huge thanks once again to everyone else who wrote, read, and voted! :D[:D] All of the stories were great and a treat to read. I hope to see you all and more for the March challenge, which will be up sometime later today!

;)

20. LexiLupin

Mar 27, 2011
    Your March challenge is:

Military Appreciation

How important it is for us to recognize and celebrate our heroes and she-roes! ? Maya Angelou

In honor of Hug a GI Day on March 4th, let?s all show our own unique brand of military appreciation- through Star Wars fanfiction!
    This challenge holds a special place in my heart, since my husband is in the Army- and also because March 4th is my birthday, so I guess I get a hug too. ;)

[image=http://nerdcityonline.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/TrapLARGE.jpg]

So come on out and show your appreciation for those fighting men and women of the Star Wars universe, be it Wedge and his merry band of pilots, your favorite squad of clone troopers or stormtroopers, the Jedi generals in the waning days of the Republic? the possibilities are rampant!

[image=http://images.wikia.com/starwars/images/b/b1/ImperialMilitary-BF.jpg]

And don?t forget that appreciation for the uniformed men and women (not to mention the hundreds of other species) can come both on and off the battlefield? and, I suppose, both in and out of uniform? [face_whistling] *bad Lexi* Seriously though, this challenge can be approached from a multitude of angles, be it from the viewpoint of a soldier or pilot on a dangerous mission, an unsung hero who stands up against incredible odds, even the civilians whose lives are affected- even if they don't know how much.

And, of course, the appreciation from friends and family when someone makes it home safe and sound.

[image=http://www.pigazette.com/Pig%20images/Navy-Kiss.jpg]

So have fun, get creative, and don't forget that responses are due by 11:59pm Board time on the 21st!

We have met the enemy and they are ours! ? Commodore Oliver Hazard Perry

(another note that if THE MOVE happens, the schedule will be adjusted when we're back up)

21. Thumper09

Dec 9, 2001
    Congratulations, LoriLynn! =D=

Great stories from everyone in February!

22. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    Congrats LoriLynn=D=

23. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Splentab challenge Lexi & you always get a [:D]

@};-

24. Goodwood

Goodwood Jedi Master star 5

May 11, 2011
    Well, you know...

...this would be a great way to tie into my ongoing Military Fanfic Challenge which, thus far, has received no entries!

Not that it really matters (link in signature).

25. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.