main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph The 2015 Box Office Bloodbath (And the winner is...)

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Sep 20, 2013.

1. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Oh really? Well that doesn't really change anything. Isn't WoW decreasing in popularity due to the rise of Elder Scrolls Online and League of Legends?

2. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

No. WoW is decreasing in popularity because of WoW. Nothing else has really dented it.

However, there's still basically 9 million people guaranteed to buy a ticket across the globe which, by itself, isn't a lot -- but that's only a theoretical minimum...

3. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    I haven't played WOW in like 2 years but the game still has a player base of about 7-9 million people last time I checked. That's an instant audience. Heck I know I'll be dragging my wife to see it.

I screened Gravity in 3D this morning at work. It was awesome! Good story, very good acting and amazing visuals. Best looking 3D movie I have seen since Avatar. I can't wait to take my wife to see if again. It's that type of movie.

4. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    They did. They rolled out an R-rated sequel/blockbuster. That sucked tremendously.

I think they took the wrong lesson somewhere, but who knows?

5. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Forgot about District 9. And I guess post-Kill Bill Tarantino is also an exception.

6. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    I don't think Elysium sucked tremendously. It was bland and uninspired, with a storyline that was hopelessly trite, but "sucked tremendously" just seems like the kind of thing I would say about a Marvel movie.

CT-867-5309 likes this.
  7. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    Not a sequel.

And Elysium was made for 3-4 times as much as District 9, though in comparison with other blockbusters isn't nearly as costly.

Elysium was disappointing. All of Blomkamp's visual style and flair was there, but he probably shouldn't be put in charge of story anymore.

8. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    ^ That. The reason why WoW has decreased in any popularity at all is because of Diablo III. There was an article about that a couple of months ago, would have no idea where to find it now though.

As far as LoL....that has nothing to do with WoW's competition because it's a completely different style of game. Dota is LoL's competition, and that's not run by Blizz. Elder Scrolls is like any other of the 500 million MMO's to come out...even if it's amazing and awesome, there's too much that WoW has against it. Mostly stability, time put in, near flawless game mechanics because they already made all the mistakes when there wasn't much competition years ago. Even if ESO is a kick ass game (and I'll totally play it), it would have to do something reallyyyyyy different as an MMO to take down WoW. Rift, LOTR, FF haven't done anything to WoW's sales and those are the more successful of the mmos out right now.

9. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    I'd be more game for a Diablo movie than Warcraft.

10. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    I'd see a Diablo movie if the whole thing was shot from the same isometric view.

11. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    Considering the type of film that dominates the 2015 Summer schedule, that's actually great counter-programming. I didn't think Ted was all that great my self (Flash Gordon/Sam Jones stuff aside), but it made a boatload of money and my friends and co-workers were pretty unanimous in their love for it. I'd say it's one of the safest bets of '15.

12. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    2015 is gonna be crazy

Juliet316 likes this.
  13. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    It seemed to think it had something profound to say about immigration, but it didn't think through a single consequence of its ending. Everyone now has access to medical care that is going to enable them to live decades past a normal life span when the earth is already overpopulated and nearly out of resources. Plus, now that everyone's a Legal, the police force CAN'T ARREST ANYONE. And then that actor who played Spider gave one of the worst performances I've ever seen. God, he was awful.

But this isn't the Elysium thread. And, yeah, it isn't a sequel. Don't know why I said that. :oops:

14. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    The more I think about Elysium, the stupider the movie is and teh stupuder i becam,

15. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999

**** Diablo or WoW. Where the frak is my HALO movie?!?!:p

Seriously though, Hollywood has to implode now, and it looks like the 2015 Bloodbath will be its last hurrah (hopefully). Nothing really motivates me to go to the movies lately considering how 95% of the stuff released is garbage.

16. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    How can we tell what anything looks like, honestly? 2015 is still a over a year away. The summer of 2015 is closer to two years away.

17. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Didn't Alan Moore once say that Hollywood has become so desperate that they'd probably make a movie with Johnny Depp as Cap'n Crunch? That's probably going to be a reality.

18. Coruscant

Feb 15, 2004
    I think you guys are 2012'ing 2015, making it out be some apocalyptic year for Hollywood. Things will probably remain the same, more or less, in the years afterward.

darthcaedus1138 likes this.
  19. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    I dunno. 2011 was a dreadful year, and this year seems to be following suit. 2012 on the other hand was a freak success. I guess we'll see how 2014 turns out.

20. Coruscant

Feb 15, 2004
    What's coming out in 2014, anyway? Let's see...

300 sequel
    Captain American sequel
    Rio 2
    Spider-Man sequel
    X-Men: Days of Future Past
    Maleficent
    22 Jump Street
    How To Train Your Dragon 2
    Transformers 4
    Fast and Furious 7
    Dawn of the Planet of the Apes
    Hercules
    Fifty Shades of Grey
    Guardians of the Galaxy
    TMNT
    Expendables 3
    The Giver
    Sin City movie
    Interstellar
    Mockingjay, Part 1
    Exodus
    Hobbit movie
    Night at the Museum 3

Honestly, judging by that list, 2014 looks to be far more of a potentially disastrous year for Hollywood than 2015 could ever be. The only ones I'm interested in: Days of Future Past, Dawn of the Planet of the Apes, Interstellar, and the final Hobbit movie. Movies like the Captain American sequel and FF7 will be moderately enjoyable, but I really don't have any expectations for them at all.

21. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Spider-Man should do well, Transformers can be the worst thing ever made and it will still make big money.

300 was very popular so the sequel should attract people.

Most of the rest should be meh apart from Hobbit part 3, I liked the Night at the Museum movies but I don't really see where they can go with another one. It could ruin what fun there was in the first 2

22. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    I thought FF7 was coming out in 2015? When's the release date for that one? May?

23. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Final Fantasy VII came out in the mid-1990's. Jeez.

24. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Agreed- counterprogramming to summer action fare is what made the first one a success. It's still yet another big name sequel that needs to find some room, however.

That's actually not as bad as it seems. Keeping in mind that's both spread out over an entire year and involving a lot of moderately budgeted titles.

Stuff like 300 and Jump Street will probably be in the spring months. Stuff like Night at the Musuem will almost certainly be holiday family fare. Apes, Guardians, Expendables will all be August. Sin City will probably be fall.

That thins the herd for whats left for summer considerably- down to typical lineup size. With about 3-6 AAA mega-budget franchise installments for May-July. Compared to 2015, where that number is at least 10.

25. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    I'd totally take that over another POTC sequel.

Mmm-hmm. Definitely going to be one of those Summers where movies open big on their first weekend out and then plummet %55-60 the following weekend as the next big thing opens.