main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph The 2015 Box Office Bloodbath (And the winner is...)

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Sep 20, 2013.

1. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Looking at 2016's movies, especially relating to this subject of big box office slayers, there's nothing I'm anticipating seeing in theaters except Rogue One and I guess Star Trek Beyond.

2. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    it managed to make 93 million in the u.s. compared to 56 for FF4, so not nearly as bad a flop.

and as for Tron 3 if they were at all sure of it's performance they'd make it. it's not Disney isn't raking in the money. if anything they'll probably make even more on TFA than they thought they would.

i'm looking forward to Cap 3 and X-Men.

3. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    No, why is it "kinda cool"?

4. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    People like landmarks, G!

Leave people alone!

5. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    "We're lost!"

"No. I can see Jurassic World's domestic gross from here."

tom and Juliet316 like this.
  6. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005

Hell, they'll probably get the $4 Billion back they paid Lucas on TFA alone.

Jedi Merkurian and PCCViking like this.
  7. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Gross? No. Combined with merchandise? Possibly already done. And yet their stock keeps dropping because of the ESPN albatross. One imagines Bob Iger trapped in a glass case of emotion.

8. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Rylo Ken and Juliet316 like this.
  9. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Technically he was correct about that...

[​IMG]

BigAl6ft6 and Juliet316 like this.
  10. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    Right now, yes... but not for long, it seems. Unless the money it makes in 2016 doesn't count, even though the movie was a 2015 release.

11. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

No, it's already way past the best-grossing movie of 2015 -- but it didn't do it until 2016... so he was still technically correct. :p

BigAl6ft6 and EHT like this.
  12. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    First off, he's Rylo Ken now

Second, it's only passed the predicted flop that is Jurassic World.

Rylo Ken, Juliet316 and EHT like this.
  13. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    Ah OK, thanks for that. And yeah, it hasn't passed all of the other 2015 movies yet, but if 2016 takes can count it will pretty soon.

Diggy likes this.
  14. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

No, it passed everyone on Friday (on January 1) because Jurassic World was the previous tops.

15. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    Domestic, yes... but the chart I was referring to was for Worldwide.

16. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    FTFY

DarthIntegral and dp4m like this.
  17. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015

If I had the gift of prophecy, which I so obviously do, I would have said that TFA would never have the 30-70 domestic-foreign split of movies like Titanic, Avatar, Furious 7, etc., that it would be a lot closer to 50-50, probably 45-55 at best. And it turns out I did say that.

Even a blind squirrel is right twice a day.

BigAl6ft6 and EHT like this.
  18. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    So, what he said was true, from a certain point of view.

BigAl6ft6 and Juliet316 like this.
  19. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999

Regardless of how it's done, it's good all the same. About damn time Spaceman Dances With Wolves and Blue Pocahontas got knocked off that undeserved pedestal. It will be a day long remembered, etc. etc.

Sarge and AmySolo like this.
  20. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Eh, I'm a Cameron fan so while it wasn't his best I appreciated what it was trying to do. Going through the deleted and unfinished scenes I think it becomes apparent that a lot of the more interesting or original subplots got shaved off for runtime concerns- and when you're left with the barebones core of the story, the similarities to DWW just become more noticeable than they would be otherwise in a full 3.6 hour long version.

Rylo Ken likes this.
  21. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    TFA has now passed 900 domestic and should be hitting 2 billion worldwide shortly, if it hasn't yet already.

AmySolo and Ghost like this.
  22. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Yeah good way to win bar bets is "what was the highest grossing domestic movie released in 2015?" and someone will say "Star Wars!" and you'll say "WRONG! Jurassic World!" because literally by December 31st grosses were counted, Jurassic World had 250,000 ish more than Force Awakens. Less than half a million. Passed it on January 1st. Phrasing is key here, the highest grossing movie of 2015 is Force Awakens but the highest grossing domestic movie in 2015 is Jurassic World.

Also speaking of 2015 movies tearing it up in 2016, freakin' The Revenant almost at 300 million worldwide!

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=main&id=revenant.htm

I love the movie so yay but, damn, if you had asked me two months ago how much this flick would make worldwide I honestly woulda pegged it at, like, 50 million, tops. Total. Proof that every once in awhile, an original oddity can actually make it. Probably because it has DiCaprio and violence, I'd wager.

23. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Oh and also here's LionsGate blaming Mockingjay Part 2's haul (650 million. Apparently, that's bad. Hell, Amazing Spider-Man 2 made 700 million and they mothballed the whole ASM universe). They wanted at least 100 million more. Not blaming franchise fatigue, since they had 4 movies in a row of a single storyline every year. They blame terrorism and Star Wars. no, really.

http://movieweb.com/star-wars-hunger-games-mockingjay-2-box-office/

They also confirmed that they are aiming for overall lower film costs. The studio plans to focus on 'discipline production spends and a diverse portfolio'.

While this was seen as good news by most, the underperformance of The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 2 loomed large throughout the meeting, and how this loss affected the final quarter of 2015. Lionsgate executives claim that the terrorist attacks in Europe were largely to blame for The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 2's poor performance at the box office.

The film opened worldwide just one week after the Paris attacks. It's believed that many people were staying away from the theater out of fear. And that cost the movie quite a bit of money. And then came Star Wars: The Force Awakens, which opened on December 18. Even though there was almost a month's gap between the release of the two movies, Lionsgate claims that the LucasFilm and Disney blockbuster shut The Hunger Games climax down, and canceled out any more interest in the movie.

Lionsgate's co-chairman of the Motion Picture Group Rob Friedman had this to say. "I think the combination of circumstances was unique between the terrorist attack in Europe and Star Wars. [The box office over-performance of Star Wars] hit our numbers by somewhere between $50M and $100M.

" Some industry insiders are already raising their eyebrows at that big number. And it might just be fast talk from Lionsgate. The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 2 failed to surpass the Chinese box office of The Last Witch Hunter, which wasn't necessarily a hit in the states.

Lionsgate CEO John Feltheimer simply blames the date and competition that his movie faced at the end of 2015. "[It was] all sandwiched together between The Martian and Spectre and we couldn't get the screens. We were disappointed in Mockingjay's performance in [China], especially since we did our first China premiere there."

Lionsgate says that 2016 was always considered a low contributor year due to the heavy production costs of The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 2.

24. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    It's bad by comparison within the series as that's the lowest gross for the series. ASM was mothballed (among other reasons) because Sony wanted Avengers/Iron Man/Dark Knight-levels of performance increase over the modest ASM performance (or at least SM3 numbers) as they had invested heavily into it as the launchpad for the Spider-Man mini-universe they wanted.