main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph The 2015 Box Office Bloodbath (And the winner is...)

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Sep 20, 2013.

1. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    I should clarify that my ratings are based solely on their awareness with the average moviegoer and not their standing amongst fans, the quality of their titles or even their cinematic potential. But again, playing Devil's advocate, Iron Man was once--very recently in fact---considered a b-lister, and who had ever heard of Guardians of the Galaxy two years ago? These lesser known movies could just as easily be a shot in the arm for the comic book movie genre because they're fresh, different.

I'd love a reboot of The Rocketeer and perhaps a Batman Beyond movie. How about you?

I'll probably see AOU twice, but I'm on the fence with Ant-Man (for sure a rental) and I have no interest whatsoever in Fantastic Four.

2. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    AOU had an $84 million opening day, but including Thursday night, which had many more screenings than Avengers 1. Pretty clear evidence that people aren't more excited about AOU than they were about Avengers.

If AOU's opening day premium over Furious 7 held for its entire domestic run, and the two movies have similar legs, then AOU will earn $437 million in the U.S.

3. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I have a bad feeling Mad Max is going to get its throat slit and family gunned down by Pitch Perfect 2.

4. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    That's why the next Mad Max needs to be a musical.

tom likes this.
  5. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Are they the same audience, though. Do the audience who are baying for blood, who want to watch crazy people commit evil deeds also want to watch Mad Max?

6. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012

7. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    This but unironically.

tom likes this.
  8. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    Ha! No worries.

Not real familiar with Moon Knight, but Green Arrow has certainly gotten some traction with its series. I wonder if they'd do a concurrent film series?

Thanks. Found out I will have Sunday off, so I'll see AOU then. And I just watched the new Ant-Man trailer and I have to say, it looks pretty good, and it has a +1 Paul Rudd factor.

9. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    With the Tweetosphere suggesting AOU may have dropped 30% on Saturday because of competition from the Kentucky Derby and boxing, the movie may have to make $55 million on Sunday to break $200 million for the weekend. It's probably not going to happen.

If AOU's domestic box office gets tamped down to about $400 million, that puts Star Wars in position to become the top grossing movie in the U.S. in 2015. Not sure it can do that globally.

10. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    People were speculating that AOU would have stronger Friday and Sunday performances due to the boxing hit on Saturday. Friday basically did it's part of that theory, so now we'll see if it fully pans out and Sunday does it's part.

Alternatively that could bode well for its second week performance if boxing pushes a lot of people's window of opportunity to see the film to next weekend.

11. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    Tweetosphere. Hard (and maybe a little sad) to believe we live in a world where that is an actual term now.

Jedi Merkurian and Juliet316 like this.
  12. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    It's still better than "blog" and. "blogosphere".

13. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    They're members of the same species, anyhoo.

Juliet316 likes this.
  14. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    It may actually be Twitterverse. Obviously I don't care.

$188 million opening weekend estimate for AOU. That means Robert Downey Jr., Iron Man and Disney/Marvel own all the top three opening weekend spots.

Still, this weekend is down considerably from even the more pessimistic estimates, and my gratitude goes out to all those discerning Americans who did not give their unconditional love to this bombastic nonsense fest of a movie. Mad Max Fury Road looks like a whole lot more of exactly the same, so it should pose some serious competition for AOU in its third weekend.

Meanwhile Furious 7 is up to $1.42 billion worldwide, so "Embrace the Nonsense" is a global phenomenon, perhaps something viral.

15. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    I wonder how Hot Pursuit is going to do this Friday?

16. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    saw a trailer; looks awful. AOU to rule for a second weekend, but with a 60% plus drop to something a bit above $80 million. By the end of next weekend it will be above $750 million worldwide.

17. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    That's what I was thinking too. Hot Pursuit looks like it wants the same success as last year's Neighbors.

18. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    The Heat 2 wannabe

19. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, I've only seen a couple TV spots for it, so advertising has been minimal, but it totally looks like it wants to be The Heat 2, but not coming anywhere close.

Will be interesting to see the finals tomorrow- if any boxing Sunday uptick effect happened, we won't know til then. Still, I don't think it'll be a big enough difference to push it over 200.

Mad Max will take a bite out of AOU in week 3, but not a terribly large one- MM is targeting a much different audience and the over-the-top acting will alienate a wider audience.

20. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    This reminds me that I really want a sequel to The Heat.

Rogue1-and-a-half likes this.
  21. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    Actual opening weekend for AOU revised upward to $191,271,109.

$626 million worldwide.

Furious 7: $1.428 billion worldwide.

22. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    And the game is afoot...

23. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    I think we will see Furious hold, leading to the announcement of the F&F Cinematic Universe.

24. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Too late- they've been talking about developing The Rock's spinoff for awhile now. ;)

That was actually the running joke at the time (since it predated the DCU plans) that we'd get a functional F&FCU before a Wonder Woman movie.

25. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    If Batman v. Colors (also Batman v. Board of Education) disappoints or tanks, that may still be true.