main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph The 2015 Box Office Bloodbath (And the winner is...)

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Sep 20, 2013.

1. Bowen

Bowen Force Ghost star 5

Sep 6, 1999

Ok, I won't admire a guy who was a world-class bodybuilder, then an A-list actor, and then a successful politician. You are right, he isn't pretty much all of the greatest things of the American dream. *rolls eyes* I am sorry I actually admire success!

2. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    I can dig not liking a movie, there are a lot of movies I don't like. What I'm not going to allow are remarks about how most women have terrible tastes in movies, nor do I think it's terribly relevant to your point about the movie being awful, to be honest.

Juliet316 likes this.
  3. Bowen

Bowen Force Ghost star 5

Sep 6, 1999
    I apologize then if that offended anyone, Ramza. I was honestly only trying to say that I'm thankful my girlfriend will actually go with me to midnight screenings of Marvel films! As a Star Wars nerd, or film nerd in general, that's a very nice blessing to have! LOL. Not to say I wouldn't be with her if that weren't the case, by any means, but it's just an appreciated bonus not having to go alone :p I'm also thankful I don't get dragged to Pitch Perfect 2 as she told her mom she wouldn't go no matter what. Sometimes, things like that just make you appreciate being with "the right girl" for you, because I know I would not love being dragged to Pitch Perfect or Twilight or whatever else (50 Shades of Grey) comes to mind at the time. I do see my share of action films like The Expendables solo because you can't really ask most girls to see those types of films with you! They're... fun... for what they are. But not great movies.

4. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    The TV ads for Hot Pursuit are all over the place. Desperation?

5. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I love Pitch Perfect and thought it was one of the best movies that came out that year.

I'm straight, as far as I know, but Jabbadabbado thinks I have terrible taste in movies because I like Marvel movies.

jp-30 and Adam of Nuchtern like this.
  6. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    I am with dp4m, and this other person sounds incredibly insecure to me.

jp-30 and Adam of Nuchtern like this.
  7. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    It comes from a place of concern for your health. Those movies will turn your brain to mush faster than a vodka-Redbull addiction, but won't give you nearly as much pleasure.

dp4m likes this.
  8. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    $13.2 million Monday for Age of Ultron. Large drop suggests not such great legs. I think it will take some big hits in its 3d and 4th weekend, and have a fairly steep drop next weekend too despite the lack of competition.

Despite that, AOU will still likely have a domestic total approaching $425-$450 million, much closer to Iron Man 3 than Avengers 1, but top 20 all time.

9. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I would've liked to have made $13.2 million yesterday.

Jabbadabbado likes this.
  10. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    Why do I miss all the crazy stuff?

here's a belated

Darth_Invidious and Juliet316 like this.
  11. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

59.6% drop for Age of Ultron.

Less drop than Man of Steel (64.6%), The Dark Knight Rises (61.4%), and Captain America (60.6%) but more than The Dark Knight (52.5%), The Avengers (50.3%), Captain America: The Winter Soldier (56.6%), both Thors, and Guardians of the Galaxy (55.3%).

12. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    77.2 for the second weekend is actually much better than I expected. I've seen it three times now and, outside of the opening night IMAX showing in NYC (which was sold out far in advance), I've been trying to catch it at a packed showing (trying both a saturday afternoon [for families/kids reactions] and friday evening [for general audiences] showing) and each time was only half full at best, which is mighty perplexing given it's performance and profile.

As far as second weekends go, that apparently tops Avatar's 2nd weekend and is only surpassed by the original Avengers' 2nd weekend.

International has been pretty solid too with another 65 (giving us a worldwide combined total of 875 and change)- and all that without releases in China or Japan yet.

13. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    well there are a lot of movie theater screens now . I mean my local theater has 4 giant screens in the lobby playing it, plus probably a couple other of there 17

14. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    True, but people still have generally predictable viewing/eating/working habits that will still have them congregating more often towards a showtime between 8:30-9:30 pm on a fri/sat night than a showing between 5-8pm, etc which make those showings more likely to fill up.

Likewise, families tend to favor late morning/early afternoon showings vs later showings on a sat, etc, etc.

15. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    Some of the severe weather this weekend may be a factor as well. Plus, Mother's Day weekend.

16. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    It wouldn't have affected the screenings in my area.

17. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    Assuming that number holds when the actual number is reported, it's not bad, and lines the movie up closely with the performance of Iron Man 3. It won't get to $1 billion worldwide as fast as Furious 7, but its final number will likely be similar.

Furious 7 looks poised to pass the Avengers1 worldwide total.

18. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    Gushing reviews posted for Mad Max Fury Road. Mostly positive reviews for Pitch Perfect 2. Both are opening this weekend on a combined total of something close to 7,000 screens in the U.S. Programming and Counterprogramming, headlining what will probably be a $32 million plus third weekend for Age of Ultron.

The trailers for Fury Road make it look like the most ambitious film about vehicular homicide ever made, like Road Warrior on a $200 million budget.

Pitch Perfect 2 has massive video sales/rental and cult status plus hit song of the original movie. It was kind of a marginally more grown up High School Musical, appealing to a slightly older version of exactly that audience.

The lack of crossover between these two audiences could not be more complete--girls and their parents in one theater. the R Rated action movie crowd in another. There's plenty of room for both these movies to do very well. If Fury Road is as fun as the first reviews suggest, it should be one of the most snuck-into movies since 8 Mile, which complicates the box office a bit. Could be the biggest R rated action movie since the Matrix Reloaded.

Also maybe the first R rated movie with a $100 million opening weekend.

19. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

I'm the crossover for these films.

I'm going to wait for mavjade for Pitch Perfect 2 though as we'd prefer to see it together and she doesn't care as much about Max Max -- being a young'un -- as I do (being a decrepit old man).

mavjade likes this.
  20. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    If I was going to see one of the two this weekend, it would be Pitch Perfect 2. The Mrs would choose Mad Max. So if I see a film this weekend, it will be Mad Max.

21. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    Looks like I'm going to see Pitch Perfect 2 this weekend, as the family movie chosen for us by my own Lebensabschnittspartnerin. I would like to put in a request to trade spouses with Diggy.

Diggy likes this.
  22. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Perhaps we can come to an arrangement.

Jabbadabbado likes this.
  23. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    You could always say "no, I'm not seeing that" and put your foot down in the issue.

24. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I thought South Park: Bigger, Longer, and Uncut was the most snuck into movie?

25. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    The positive reviews for MMFR are a great thing. I'm looking forward to seeing it Saturday.