main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph The 2015 Box Office Bloodbath (And the winner is...)

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Sep 20, 2013.

1. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    it's more feasible to swap spouses for a weekend.

2. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I wonder how the Poltergeist remake is going to do? It's coming out the same weekend as Tomorrowland.

3. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    I have to root for the original sci fi/fantasy adventure over the remake. I can tell you for sure that the Poltergeist trailer is awful. Not a single ounce of scary or interesting in it - looks every bit as terrible as I want it to be. The director has never made a financially successful movie, though Monster House was a modest critical success though completely unremarkable in my opinion.

4. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    The most famous scene doesn't even make sense anymore. TV's are digital; there's no static except on models that simulate it for humans who are easily frightened of change. And networks don't sign off anymore. Is the poltergeist going to appear in the TV during a slap chop infomercial?

Darth Punk , Jabbadabbado and EHT like this.
  5. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    It will be in the HBO logo.

Darth Punk likes this.
  6. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I'm genuinely curious to see how MM does- it has positive reviews and good trailers going for it, but it doesn't seem to have a very high level of interest or awareness outside the movie geek community.

However, if it can tap the F&F crowd partially with its vehicular carnage as well as the "old enough to be nostalgia for some viewers but old enough that this might as well be an original film to others" factor, it could do rather well.

7. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    Mad Max has a guaranteed audience in the U.S./UK/Australia, but maybe not so much anywhere else. But you could be right about it riding the coattails of Furious 7 in China.

8. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    Fury Road is a nostalgic ode to The Road Warrior that actually is every bit as much fun as The Road Warrior, but with by far the best music I've heard at the movies in more than a year.

But there were pretty clearly more people out for the Thursday night late showing of Pitch Perfect 2. If I had to guess, then I'd say Mad Max is going to come in second this weekend.

9. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    According to Variety, AOU will cross $1 billion today.

Disney-Marvel’s “Avengers: Age of Ultron” will hit the $1 billion box office milestone on Friday, its 24th day of global release.

“Ultron” is becoming Marvel Studios’ third billion-dollar film following “The Avengers” in 2012 and “Iron Man 3.” It’s also the eighth Disney release to surpass this threshold.

“Avengers: Age of Ultron” will become the highest grossing film of 2015 domestically during this weekend, surpassing Universal’s “Furious 7″ at $339 million.

The “Avengers” sequel began opening internationally on April 22. Top markets are South Korea at $76 million, China at $69 million, the U.K. at $63 million and Mexico at $41 million.

The tentpole scored the biggest opening weekend ever in Brazil, Mexico, Hong Kong, Ecuador, Bolivia and the Philippines. It opened to $34 million in China on May 12 — Disney/Marvel’s biggest opening day ever in that market and the highest non-weekend opening day ever.

10. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    That's longer than the 17 days Furious 7 took to reach $1 billion worldwide. AOU has been playing for 23 days worldwide, although only 15 days in the U.S.

11. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    Looks like Pitch Perfect 2 is going to have a ~$65 million weekend, and Fury Road is going to have a ~$40 million weekend. Max may have a hard time breaking even on its theatrical run.

Audiences don't seem very excited about Mad Max. B+ Cinemascore.

12. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    People should be seeing Mad Max, not a chick flick

13. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    People see what they want to see. Fury Road is very clearly not everyone's cup of tea.

14. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    And I don't know why.

15. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    i see these women out there promoting Pitch Perfect, they're all around 30 or above, and the movie is about college kids?

16. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Take it to the misogyny thread.

Jabbadabbado likes this.
  17. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Really?

18. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    You know, I take that back, cause I'm basically going to be dragged to the theatre to see it on Tuesday

19. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    I'm going to PP2 with the whole family tomorrow.

20. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    The films have opposite core demographic appeal- I doubt very many people are choosing one over the other.

It was pretty clear that, despite word of mouth, there wasn't much audience anticipation for the film going into the weekend, so Max was never going to have a massive opening. However, that might translate into some legs over the next couple weeks.

21. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    $44.4 million for Fury Road vs. $70 million for PP2, looks like we're looking at now.

22. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    That's apparently dead-on with what Max was expected to make over the past couple months- though the glowing reviews raised some hope that they might elevate it higher. But at least the studio can be happy that it isn't performing under expectations.

23. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I would most certainly be game for another Mad Max film.

24. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    Pitch Perfect 2 makes more money opening weekend than the original's entire domestic run. I hate to say it but Mad Max will probably have a pretty steep drop next weekend. Only B+ cinemascore.

Pitch Perfect 2 should have a great second weekend - still will be great counterprogramming against Poltergeist and Tomorrowland.

25. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    $65 million for Fury Road internationally, for a total of $109.4 million, which is actually a nose ahead of Pitch Perfect's $108.4.