main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph The 2015 Box Office Bloodbath (And the winner is...)

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Sep 20, 2013.

1. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    You can't be serious. I can possibly understand that feeling about Ratatouille since rats are repulsive animals no matter how cute they're drawn. But The Incredibles? Possibly the most fun and best Fantastic Four adaptation that will ever be made? "Worst" is simply an adjective that is universally NOT associated with this one movie.

2. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    someone's gotta be the .1% outlier of opinion on those movies. Might as well be you, Loyal Imperial

WriterMan and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  3. Mustafar_66

Mustafar_66 Force Ghost star 6

May 20, 2005
    I didn't like The Incredible, but then I thought it'd be a comedy like other Pixar movies up to that point so ended up pretty disappointed.

4. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Are any Pixar films straight-up comedies? I would describe them more as family-oriented "dramadies." I mean, I haven't seen the Cars merchandising juggernauts, so I could be wrong.

Jabbadabbado likes this.
  5. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    I never thought of it that's way, but I think you're right.

Looks like Tomorrowland, Pitch Perfect 2 and Poltergeist were neck and neck Friday with about $9.5 million each, followed by Fury Road and AOU.

If Star War: The Force Awakens had been opening this weekend it would have earned more than those four movies combined.

6. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Five, even.

Jabbadabbado likes this.
  7. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    As someone with the misfortune of experiencing Cars 2 that one was basically just a comedy. There's some token issue of Larry the Cable Guy the Car not feeling appreciated by his best friend Owen Wilson the Car but it's an excuse to set up a super spy pastiche featuring Michael Caine the Car.

EHT likes this.
  8. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    [​IMG]

9. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    i liked both, i don't know how anyone can't like The Incredibles.

10. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I'm voting with Aloha this weekend instead of San Andreas because Cameron Crowe has done good things before and I want to look at Emma Stone and I think this is the only time in 2015 I'll be able to look at Emma Stone in a movie theatre so, yes, Aloha.

My guess is San Andreas will clear at least a 50 mil opening and Aloha .... erm, 15? I think it's the only romantic comedy out there and has been, and will be, the only romantic comedy option for awhile. Maybe could do better considering Pitch Perfect 2 took a dive in the 2nd weekend and the only other options are explosions and earthquakes and robots.

11. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    Interesting that there are no reviews up on RT for either movie. It will be sad if next weekend is just as much a box office bloodbath as the Memorial Day weekend.

Reviews are of course beside the point for a disaster movie starring the Rock, but not so for Aloha.

12. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Aloha is odd to me, because -- as far as I can tell -- Emma Stone (the whitest ginger in Hawaii) is playing a character with the surname of "Ng"

I know absolutely nothing of the movie, plot, whether she was married previously... but Ng is a very, very specific suname and it left a bad-taste in my mouth to hear about it.

13. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    I have a friend who grew up in Honolulu with a Japanese surname. Her father was half Japanese-American. It would be hard to tell anything about her ethnic background. She's not a redhead, but then again neither is Emma Stone.

14. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    San Andreas actually has two reviews up, which isn;t enough to show a score yet. But the score is 50/50.

15. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

And it may be totally innocuous in the film too, I'm just saying it left a bad taste in my mouth from the commercial with all of the white-washing going around these days...

16. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    It would be nice to have a cast in a movie set in Hawaii that reflects the actual demographics of the population.

Darth Guy likes this.
  17. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I'm more curious how next weekend will look.

18. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    Furious 7 hits $1.5 billion worldwide today, just a few million shy of Avengers 1.

Age of Ultron is going to fall short of that with no more than $450 million in the U.S. and probably just shy of or right around $1 billion outside the U.S.

And TFA is unlikely to hit Furious 7 numbers abroad, so it's an easy call now for Furious 7 as the number one movie of 2015.

19. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Memorial Day weekend has become a lot more unreliable as a tent pole release date in recent years- it used to be the second biggest weekend after July 4th.

Now it seems like "Marvel Day" weekend had taken over that position and pulled audiences away from Memorial Day- and the calibre of film tends to be much more unreliable than it used to as a result.

I mean, the X-Men, Pirates & F&F movies have done well there but it seems more films have underperformed or bombed there recently than have done well (let alone set records like how films like The Lost World did back 15-20 years ago)- Prince of Persia, Epic, Tomorrowland, MIB3, Terminator 4, etc.

20. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    It's not the weekend, it's the movies thrown into that slot. Last year it was the Adam Sandler flop "Blended" and the dull X:Men days of future past.

If TFA had opened on Friday it would have made $200 million.

21. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    DOFP was one of the few films to perform like a traditional Memorial Day release though- opened with 110 for the weekend.

22. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    lucky too it got that slot, since Memorial day weekend accounted for nearly half its domestic box office gross.

23. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    [​IMG]

I don't understand this argument. Six out of the last ten Memorial Days, preceeding this year's stinker, have given us 100 mil+ films.

24. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    Just another reminder to Hollywood not to open anything but big budget sequels on holiday weekends. The Tomorrowland flop is bad news for everybody.

25. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I'd say that a 50-60% success ratio (lower once you factor in the multiple releases or factor out the three franchises I mentioned) is "unreliable".