main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph The 2015 Box Office Bloodbath (And the winner is...)

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Sep 20, 2013.

1. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Which is quite the difference.

2. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    Technically, the Magic Mike audience is 73% female and 27% other.

3. JoshieHewls

JoshieHewls Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 16, 2013
    "Who left the 'fridge open?"

BigAl6ft6, Juliet316 and Ramza like this.
  4. vnu

vnu Jedi Master star 3

Sep 8, 2012
    Personally, as someone who doesn't like Disney buying SW and the way they're handling things (outside of Rebels) I'm hoping JW beats Episode VII. I could see JW holding off Episode VII because, let's be honest, SW just isn't popular to the general audience. We're lumped in with the Trekkies as being for geeks only. Even before superhero movies became big, the general audience liked Spider-Man, Batman, Superman, and to a lesser extent Wolverine, which is what we got for superhero movies first. Unless SW gets an actor like Robert Downey Jr or Leonardo DiCaprio (see AotC rumors lol), the general audience is just going to say lol the prequels were bad and RotJ wasn't even that good. It's also why Furious 7 is beating both AoU and JW. Bigger general audience.

JW is doing as good as it is because it is entertaining. It's also very nostalgic which is what I think fans liked too.

SateleNovelist11 likes this.
  5. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015

Well, I just saw Terminator Genysis. I thought it was fantastic. I enjoyed it as much as T1 and T2. I think we can just ignore T3 and Salvation...at long last. Lol. Alan Taylor directed it, and I must say I enjoyed a lot more than his last film, Thor: The Dark World, a story with good characters and actors, but a bit of a thin script outside of the Loki situation.

Well, I don't know what's up with Jabba's box office speculation. It's hard to quantify that. In regard to any film, it's always interesting to see the percentages of how audiences responded and how much money was made. But trying to calculate that before the film comes out takes some prophetic abilities. Don't get me wrong, Jabba. I like some of the things you've said on other threads, but I'm just confused about this. No biggie. Lol. ;)

Anyway, I agree with you, Wmu'14. I don't like what Disney is doing with SW. I think they are messing up the EU in many cases and I doubt the new trilogy will be anything above a C-level franchise. I'd like to be wrong and I hope they're good movies, but even if they are, I prefer a lot of the EU that was developed in the '90s and 2000s. So, yeah. I mostly agree with that sentiment. I liked Jurassic World about as much as the first one and The Lost World. It's fairly anti-corporatist in some ways, and it's entertaining inasmuch as it warns about dangers of humans trying to pervert and mutilate science and products.

"You bred raptors?"
    "You're damn right I did."

"You created a dinosaur that kills for sport like humans kill for sport?"
    "Oh, crap. I did!"

Well, back to your point. I do think that it's unfortunate that we Star Warriors are labeled geeks like the Trekkies, but all the fans of superhero films, those anger-management films (Furious films?), and other franchises are not considered geeks. As far as I can tell, in our postmodern world, if you're a fan of anything fictional or even real stuff like, say, history, literature, or some soft or hard science, you're a geek or a nerd. Lots of people have narrow and intense interests related to one thing or another. So, it's sad that the general population doesn't get that. However, I would say that Star Wars was popular and beloved by many people around the world. The bad writing of the prequel films did damage to the credibility of Star Wars as a serious franchise that could be considered deep like, say, some iterations of X-Men or Star Trek. But the movies, with some exceptions like TESB and ROTJ, tend to be quite dumb, and it's not like the EU novels, TCW, and Star Wars Rebels could all save Star Wars. It's the job of the movies to do that, and they haven't been well executed for some time. But that's how I see it. (I can't say I'm a total prequel basher, since I like some ideas in the films even though I am not fond of how they turned out as a whole.) At any rate, let's enjoy reading and liking what we as individuals like.

6. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    MMXXL and T5 did 2.4 & 2.3 respectively on their tues advance screenings. Seems T5 is actually opening on more screens than was thought as well.

With word of mouth on T5 likely to be very poor (saw it last night- and while it is ok at parts, it's only marginally better than T3 but with less story. It certainly won't engage audiences as much as Salvation did, which is saying something) it'll be interesting to see if a sheer lack of demographic alternatives combined with screen exposure will overcome the film's quality.

EDIT- Tues/wed totals: 9.3 vs 8.9 in favor of MMXXL. So 6.9 vs 6.6 wed.

7. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    Magic Mike 2 beating Terminator will hopefully kill that stupid robot franchise for good, or at least head off the next reboot attempt for another decade. Cameron Terminator was fine, but he's moved on, and so should we.

Is anyone going to complain if I declare Pixels a flop? The R.I.P.D. of 2015?

I feel like I'm not stepping out on a limb with this one. 1) It's Adam Sandler and 2) I've now been in a theater three times with this trailer, and I've yet to hear anyone laugh.

Here's my bold statement: Pixels is not the next Ghostbusters.

EHT likes this.
  8. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    I think there's no way you could wrangle a chuckle out of anyone considering the mindnumbingly stupid premise of that movie. And this comes from a gaming child of the 80's. Only Adam Sandler could lead that disaster.

DarthBane93 likes this.
  9. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I can't say it won't flop but it doesn't look anywhere near as bad as RIPD which just looked like an outright misfire from the start.

Pixel's trailers still managed to get laughs in theaters (mostly the Pac Man bit) and has been playing in front of a lot of films for quite awhile.

The real strike against it will be Sandler since he hasn't had much success for awhile.

I don't expect it to be a hit but it has a chance of doing ok- but Ant-Man is going to kill any larger hopes it has by proximity. Could still bomb though.

In either scenario, we'll still have the original short film if the movie is awful.

10. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    There's a reason I don't do this for a living, but I think Pixels could be a bigish hit. The trailers have gotten a really good reaction each time I've seen them with an audience, there's the nostalgia factor for Gen-Xers, it's just different enough from anything else coming out this Summer to really stand out, and too many people in my extended circle (friends, work, family) have said they want to see it. And there's the all important Dinklage factor.

I don't know, this one feels like a sleeper hit to me. I certainly hope it is anyway. More importantly though, I just hope it's good.

11. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    I tried to watch RIPD, but it was one of those movies that willed me to sleep like taking a handful of Motrin. Divergent was like that too. And Twilight.

12. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    Yes Jabba, we know, you're ancient. I know things were different in the roarin' twenties and all this pop culture crap flies over your head but, like the song says, be hip or be square.

Jabbadabbado likes this.
  13. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    What is Picels target audience? That's it biggest issue, Sandler aside (does anyone see or not see a film due to voice talent?) is it people like me and Jabs who grew up with those games? Or kids, who have the probably much better Wreck It Ralph? I just don't see where the audience is. So I say flop.

Jabbadabbado likes this.
  14. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Just watch the "Raiders of the Lost Arcade" segment of the Futurama episode "Anthology of Interest II." It features Pac-Man and Space Invaders, among others.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  15. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    I had an interest in seeing Pixels, and still might, but after seeing the same damned trailer 5-times last month, that interest is rather low now. The Pac-Man joke with its creator has been ruined, among other things.

16. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    The premise of Pixels seems unique (even though it'd be way hard to top Futurama), I generally like watching Peter Dinklage do stuff & that Pac Man joke was gold. Sandler is not the leading factor in the movie's print advertising at least and even in the trailers he seems secondary to the premise.

17. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Contra what the GoT fandom would have you believe, Peter Dinklage is not actually a mainstream box office draw. At least, not enough of one that I expect he can overcome Adam Sandler's horrendous reputation.

18. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I think the studio is attempting to sell this more on the concept than Sandler, he may have turned into box office poison lately but it seems to be selling it more as "high concept sci-fi-ish summer comedy actioner (that has Adam Sandler in the cast)"

19. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    Ramza Yeah, I was actually being facetious with that one :p. I mean, I like the Dink, and doubtless he has a radically different fan base than Sandler, which could modestly bolster the b/o, but he's not really a draw. Heck, if this is a success Sandler likely won't even be its biggest factor. This movie will probably sink or swim on the appeal of its intriguing concept and word of mouth.

And I'm not ready to write Sandler off quite yet. Dude has had a 20 year post SNL career, which is probably 15 years longer than anyone would've predicted. He's certainly had some flops of late, but the success of Grown Ups 2 (2013) and Hotel Transylvania (2012, with a sequel due this year) are proof enough he has some appeal left.

I don't know, I'm not really very objective here. Personally I'm not a Sandler fanboy, though I've enjoyed a few of his films over the years (Including the recent and much maligned That's My Boy!, which puts me in some exclusive company. Like maybe alone), but I have always admired him personally. I'm no expert on the guy, but he's never in the tabloids, is by all accounts a good family man and he used his success to help out dozens of his friends and former cast mates, putting them in his films and in many cases producing theirs. Whatever one may think of his shtick in general, I can't help but like the guy for that and it makes me want to root for him.

20. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    No I don't blame the guy for making movies that people liked, or for making movies that people don't like. But Pixels seems genuinely unfunny. When a comedy can't find anything funny to put in its trailers, you know there's a problem.

And PAC man, donkey kong, Asteroids, etc. ought to be hitting that sweet spot for nostalgia aimed directly at me. But like Diggy wrote, I've already aged out of the core moviegoing demographic, so why bother swinging at my pop culture memories?

21. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    The race for the weekend is on: Inside Out pulled into #1 on thurs with 7.7 with JW on second with 6.8-6.9.

T5 moves ahead of MMXXL with 6.5 vs 5.7.

That puts the 2 day totals (rounding up) so far at:

T5: 15.4
    IO: 15.2
    MMXXL: 15.0
    JW: 12.9

MMXXL's first day also set a demo record of being 96% female.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  22. Hogarth Wrightson

Hogarth Wrightson Jedi Knight star 4

Jul 2, 2015
    In Pixels, I don't understand why Pac Man is HUGE. It makes sense that Donkey Kong and even the Galaga ships are large in size, but Pac Man? Are they trying to convince us that the ghosts would also be that enormous? It doesn't make much sense. Also, why does Pac Man's bite turn flesh to pixels? It doesn't hold together logically. I also think the public can smell stupid and will stay away in droves.

23. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    As per the original short, all of the aliens' attacks turn things into pixels.

24. Hogarth Wrightson

Hogarth Wrightson Jedi Knight star 4

Jul 2, 2015
    Ah. I didn't know there was a short. Hence the title, I guess. It's still kinda dumb.

25. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    They're terraforming...err, pixelforming.