main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph The 2016 Box Office Bloodshower

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Nov 29, 2015.

1. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    The Disney/Marvel brand is now powerful enough to launch D list superhero franchises like Ant-Man and Dr. Strange. I've finally learned my lesson about predicting the flopping of these third-tier characters.

2. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    Don't forget to mention Guardians of the Galaxy, which were probably E or F list superheroes.

I do think super hero fatigue is setting in with the general audience. I watched Civil War again for a Saturday matinee and there was probably only 20 other people in the theater with me. I was surprised by the low turn out.

I'm thinking X-Men: Apocalypse will probably one below $100 million. I'm thinking $85-$90 million for opening weekend.

3. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    XMA's performance will have less to do with any possible overall fatigue with the genre than it will with the overall quality of the movie, the muted hype/anticipation for it and its proximity to well-reviewed, super-hyped Civil War which it's bound to draw comparison to (and, in fact, already has-most of the negative reviews cited CW's complexity as a contrast to XMA's supposedly more familiar nature).

4. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Civil War didn't open as big as an Avengers movie. It got real close and may have more legs but didn't quite pop as much. I do think that's a factor in measuring if there's any "audience fatigue". I mean, it's going to make buckets of cash and more than BVS already / probably be the third highest grossing MCU film. But you'd figure eventually these movies have to start topping what Avengers did years ago. I think the superhero genre is going to do just fine but audiences may start to get more selective about which ones make bank. Interesting twists on the formula like Deadpool or the good old standby sturdy brand of the MCU.

I don't think the genre will ever, ever go away, it may wax and wane in number of installments. It keeps getting compared to Westerns in popularity and the bubble eventually bursting but, y'know what? They STILL make Westerns! Every year! Sometimes more than one!

5. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I think that might be a flawed assumption. Avengers had a lot of unique factors going for it, not the least of which bring the first shared universe team up movie of this nature.

The second Avengers waned because of the reaction to film being slightly more mixed than the love thrown at the original. Cap 3 did almost as good as the second Avengers despite that reaction and despite being only a year since that Avengers movie. I think those are more than reasonable/typical box office factors to explain the slight discrepancy.

But I don't think we have to assume these films must top A1. Only JW & TFA have topped A1's opening weekend. I think most agree JW was a strange as hell blip while TFA had a generational event hype that neither Rogue One nor Episode VIII are likely to match.

I wouldn't expect another MCU or comic film to top A1's opening until Infinity War- between both the culmination hype and the all-IMAX boost.

Beyond that? It won't happen with the MCU outside of whatever inevitable ticket price inflation that allows it.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  6. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    90% RT score for The Nice Guys. Not sure that will give it a leg up over Neighbors 2, and it's definitely going to lose out to Angry Birds.

7. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    The Nice Guys's RT score feels very inflated- the film is fine but mostly harmless. Competent and kinda fun but nothing particularly memorable.

Cap 3 topped BVS's domestic total on Sat night, taking only 16 days to do so.

Weekend came in at:
    -Angry Birds: $39m
    -Cap 3: $33.1
    -Neighbors 2: $21.7
    -Nice Guys: $11.2
    -JB: $11.0
    -Money Monster: $7.0

8. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Also, Captain America: Civil War cracked Batman v. Superman's domestic top-out (approx. $327MM USD) -- over 45 days -- in one-third that time (15 days). It should pass Deadpool at some point this week. Though X-Men: Apocalypse should be taking some of the money out of everyone else's pockets.

9. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    should hit $1.2 billion worldwide, or come very close.

10. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    Will $1.2 billion worldwide be considered a success or a film with below box office expectations?

I saw the X-Men Apocalypse has made about $100 in foreign ticket sales.

11. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    That's nearly five times it't budget, I don't think it's close to being below expectations.

Rylo Ken likes this.
  12. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    CA3 is a huge success by any standard, including Marvel's.

ShaneP and Diggy like this.
  13. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I really wish nice guys had made at least 20 million opening weekend, it's a pretty awesome flick and buddy action comedies are getting progressively more homogenized so it's nice to see one with some bite.

14. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
  15. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    What's going to be the biggest flop of the summer? My money is on either Tarzan or Ben Hur.

16. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    Why would you remake Ben-Hur? After the colour version, I mean. Because it's not like we're making epics better than we were back then, on the contrary.

17. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Those will both flop, but Ghostbusters will take the crown.

18. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015

Live action Tarzan has mostly been a disaster over the last 30 years. The only studio I'd trust to make money on it would be Disney doing a direct live action remake of its own feature length cartoon version. I have a soft spot for the Disney Tarzan. It was the first movie I took the now 20 year old to see.

19. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I'm sorry! I was really really drunk.

Sarge, BigAl6ft6 and soitscometothis like this.
  20. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    Looks like Batman vs. Superman is not yet going to lose its crown as the worst-reviewed superhero movie of 2016. Exema Acropolis looks like a turd, but a slightly better turd.

21. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    XMA is apparently tracking towards an $80-100m opening, or around what DOFP did (and XMA cost almost $25m less to make). It already pulled in over $100m overseas last weekend:

Alice is apparently tracking a $55-60m opening.

22. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    Alice through the Looking Glass is getting terrible reviews. It may well be Disney's Lone Ranger of 2016. Disney has had a good run for the last 6 months though, and Finding Dory is extremely unlikely to fail.

Xpocalypse may make $525 million worldwide
    Alice may make about $450 million worldwide.

23. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    That's a shame- Looking Glass was looking much better than the first did in its previews.

24. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    I thought the first one was terrible too, but I'm a bitter old man unable to extract joy from any experience.

25. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    That's why we love you.

EHT and Rylo Ken like this.