main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph The 2016 Box Office Bloodshower

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Nov 29, 2015.

1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    We kinda agree there- I meant to convey that I didn't think the first looked that good in its trailers (it was more of a "it might be decent" looking film) but I found the trailers for Glass to be positive.

But that could just be cause of the White Rabbit song which can make alot of things look better ;). However, I was digging the darker, vaguely "Return to Oz" approach to the story that they were conveying.

Rylo Ken likes this.
  2. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    The Alice films hold little appeal to me beyond what bit of outlandish vfx Burton can conjure up.

My vote for biggest fail this Summer has to be Tarzan. It just looks dreary. Yates' movies have the color palette of an ashtray.

Rylo Ken likes this.
  3. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    Alice and Xcrapolypse seem to have somewhat restrained production budgets relative to recent summer tentpoles, which should limit the damage.

Legend of Tarzan looks to be the most expensive Tarzan movie ever made, so strong potential for major commercial disaster.

ShaneP likes this.
  4. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004

Yeah, that's what I said last year. William Wyler's Ben Hur is the quintessential Bible epic and one of the highest pinnacles of the golden age of Hollywood, so, no. Just no. No.

Sarge, ShaneP and soitscometothis like this.
  5. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001

I agree. Wyler's Ben Hur is still a standard for Biblical epics and this remake just looks like it doesn't add anything to what has already been done.

6. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Unless it's Disney-branded live action remake of one of their cartoons, anything dipping into the "classics" seems doomed to fail. But I think Tarzan will do worse than Ben Hur if only because I'd wager Tarzan cost more $ to make.

As for X-Men beating Alice, I figured as much but there's a part of me that wondered if Alice 2 would suddenly have this huge opening because of the last one but I guess people collectively realized they only went to see the first one because we as audiences were coming down from Avatar and were hungry for another 3D spectacle, which has worn off as a hook by now.

I haven't read any reviews of Apocalypse yet, most I saw was a headline of Drew McWeeny at HitFix giving it a B-, which honestly doesn't sound too bad. I thought both First Class and Days of Future Past are really, really good, I'd find it hard to think they'd just completely swing and miss on a third outing considering it's basically the same crew. Although First Class had Matthew Vaughn / Cold War twist and DoFP had a nifty time travel hook to keep it going. Still, the cast is pretty great in this series, which is a huge aspect of having a good X-Men movie.

7. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Ender Sai have you noticed how easy it is to ignore his awful posts without the ignore feature?

Ender Sai likes this.
  8. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    You mean the weakness blanket?

Diggy likes this.
  9. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    I can't believe the Australian government destroyed Johnny Depp's marriage with Amber Heard over a dog. Australia should be ashamed of itself.

10. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    A pretty craptastic Memorial Day weekend at the box office. I don't know how well the top ten did overall relative to last year, but X-Men will be a disappointing $80 ish million over the 4 day holiday, and Alice will be something like $34 million.

11. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Last year's Memorial Day top ten totaled about $143m for the 3-day weekend. This year is estimating around $148m, so a very minor increase over last year.

I was commenting in another thread how Memorial Day weekend has definitively lost prestige and performance over the last 10+ years. In the late 90's to early naughts, it used to be the real launch of the summer movie season and was only second to July 4th weekend in terms of top release dates (think of films like Lost World setting then-opening weekend records. It's been at least 10 years, if not longer, since that last happened I think).

I think the main effect has been the summer movie season really kicking off earlier every year. Now Marvel weekend is the big summer debut every year and, as a result, Memorial Day has become much more hit and miss as those releases, besides now no longer being the top dog release for the month, tend to get overshadowed by being sandwiched between that early May release and the early/mid June releases (the latter of which has the benefit of launching when most schools are finally out for the summer).

It's still a big release date, it's just been a lot less consistent- plus there have been a lot of misfires released in that slot lately (T4, Prince of Persia, Tomorrowland, Epic, MIB3, Hangover III, now Alice 2, etc) even if a few of them still managed to be hits (Indy 4, X3).

Rylo Ken likes this.
  12. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    Excited about seeing South Korean horror hit "Goksung"/"The Wailing" in Chicago tonight.

yes. I'm genuinely excited to see a movie.

13. Darthmaul208

Darthmaul208 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 29, 2013
    Can anyone explain the deal with Alice: Through the looking glass?

How much was Tim Burton involved? He didn't direct it did he?
    Was it actually popular?
    I saw it on DVD, it was okay I guess. The highlight being Anne Hathaway (yes I'm a fan of hers).

What actually is it?

14. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    You saw a film that's been out a week on DVD?

Are you mixing up films?

15. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    He's pirating! He's a pirate!

16. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
    Baned

17. Darthmaul208

Darthmaul208 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 29, 2013
    Yeah, I meant the first one.

18. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Can you prove it?

19. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    sorry, but I Are The Internets is right. Once you've textually confessed to watching a DVD of the movie now out in theaters, the procedural rules of evidence for the JCC require you to demonstrate by a preponderance of the evidence that you in fact intended a different movie. It's not looking good for you.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  20. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    I think it's time Coruscant made another tribunal thread since it's been almost a year. We have your victim.

21. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    This is correct. Darthmaul208 the burden is upon you to prove you do not own a pirated DVD of Through the Looking Glass.

EHT and Rylo Ken like this.
  22. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    We will not allow a Johnny Depp film to be tainted by piracy.

23. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Yes, it divorces us all from the discussion at hand.

24. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    The2ndQuest likes this.
  25. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    Warcraft!

an unsurprising 18% RT score with nearly 50 reviews in.

I guess this movie was dropped into the path of Finding Dory and Independence Day: Resurgence as some kind of sacrifice. Seems more like the kind of thing that should have been punted to February, but if it's 100% critic proof I suppose it will be fine. It's hard to tell, since I wouldn't watch this movie even if were free and on the back of an airplane seat in hour 5 of a 9 hour transatlantic flight.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.