main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph The 2016 Box Office Bloodshower

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Nov 29, 2015.

1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Seems both Conjuring 2 & Warcraft are performing slightly better than initial estimates so far. C2 aiming for about $38m & WC about $27m (though it's at $145m in China after 4 days, $277 international total so far).

2. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Weekend Estimates:

1: C2 $40.3m
    2: WC $24.3
    3: NYSM2 $23
    4: TMNT6: $14.8
    5: XMA: 10.0

C2's take is just slightly under the original's and its worldwide total is already more than double its budget.

WC's China take is apparently the fastest import film to reach 1 billion of the local currency, surpassing Furious 7 (also a Wan film).

Turtles sit at 116 worldwide and XMA at 478 and passed The Wolverine domestically.

3. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
  4. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    there's a reason Furious 7 is the 6th biggest movie of all time

5. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    1.4B people - who knew?

6. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    Just out of interest I can't find any figures for how London has Fallen did at the box office worldwide.

7. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    62.5 domestic, 133.2 international, 195.7 worldwide. 60 budget.

8. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    two interesting write-ups re. warcraft and china / international markets

http://www.indiewire.com/2016/06/hollywood-warcraft-china-box-office-jackie-chan-1201688696/

Why North America should still be important, as theatre owners note the film releases should diversify more to have movies that would work better in a North American market and also have films that translate overseas. (Which I'm actually okay with. I loves me some blockbusters but movies that play well in North America could also bring in cash and not have to be overseas crushers)

Also in China

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/jackie-chan-warcraft-success-china-901868

The real interesting note is the Chinesse box office is on track to surpass North America by 2017.

9. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    I rented London Has Fallen - really the perfectly-engineered movie. It's terrible, sure, but it cost $60 million to make, earned more than 3x its budget in global box office, and is likely a strong rental choice for people like me who need something testosterotastic and empty-headed to watch while working out.

It's hard to argue with an action movie comfortable enough in its own limitations to have a modest but still workable budget for its effects.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  10. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I really do hope we see more mid-budget films return to favor.

BigAl6ft6 and Rylo Ken like this.
  11. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    I think it's hard when we are installing DBOX, recliners and VIP seating into theaters. It will get harder and harder to justify that $20+ ticket price on those types of films. I have two auditoriums in my 18 screen building (plus a real IMAX) with DBOX seats and those seats run just under $21 here in the Pittsburgh market. I can't fathom what markets like New York or LA are now. We're not building huge megaplex's anymore. So we now have less room with new buildings. We're building 12 screen complexes with reserved seating and lower seat counts to maximize occupancy. I'm not saying that there are not places for mid budget movies but it is harder and harder for them to compete for space in our buildings especially now with the 12 month release schedule. There used to be times of the year like February and September where those movies excelled but now we have big movies around the year.

12. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Well, I'd fully expect bigger films to take up premium auditoriums but it strikes me that there's still plenty of room pre-April and post-mid-August/pre-November. You get the occasional big-big film in there but for the most part box office performance is generally more limited in those windows so more reasonable budgets would seem a better match.

13. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Studios can only chase that franchise dragon so much. Eventually, cream rises (Lucasfilm, Marvel, Fast & Furious, Pixar) and the continued attempt to build a freakin' movie universe outta "Dracula Untold" ain't exactly gonna play so they'd have to go back to mid-range action-ers, etc. to keep in the black. I'm sure a lot of studios, even Fox itself, is looking at the returns on Deadpool and getting ideas (Highest grossing X-Men movie of all time! Cost, like, 75 million dollars. That's more than half of what Apocalypse cost! Of course, I will think that for Deadpool 2 that budget is going to go to at least 100 million.)

14. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Dory is on her way to breaking TS3's top animated weekend opening. It's Friday took the top animated day record from Shrek 3 with 54.9 million, aiming for 130-145 for the weekend.

15. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Finding Dory made a ton of cake, the 2nd weekend of last week's dropped pretty hard, the most spectacular collapse coming with Warcraft dropping 73%!

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=4199&p=.htm

After a rather dismal opening weekend for the video game adaptation, Warcraft fell 73% on its second weekend, bringing in just $6.5 million, drawing a close comparison to 2005's Doom, which fell 72.7% after an equally disappointing opening. Warcraft's drop is the third largest second weekend drop for a film playing in over 3,000 theaters behind 2009's Friday the 13th (80.4%) and Fifty Shades of Grey (73.9%). The big difference here, however, is Warcraft only opened with $24.1 million while those two other films opened with $40.5 million and $85.1 million respectively, giving them both much further to fall.
    Warcraft did, however, bring in another $41.2 million internationally this weekend as its global cume now climbs to $377.6 million, more than $200 million of which comes from China.

It's domestic / International difference is insane, 10% North America, 90% worldwide! It'll probably clear 400 million at least which seems very doable for a sequel, I'm wondering if it does happen, will the sequel even get a theatrical release in North America?

Looking to next week, even Box Office Mojo is confused about the potential for Independence Day: Resurgence, pegging it anywhere in between 45 to 90 million. That narrows it down!

16. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Honestly I imagine ID4R will be hit slightly by being released the week before Independence Day when the title suggests otherwise.

As a result I think it's second weekend may be pretty strong (and kill Tarzan as a result of the competition), even against Spielberg (who'll clearly take the weekend anyways).

17. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    So this is interesting. The upcoming Blake Lively vs. Shark flick, "The Shallows" - which, while Ms. Lively is certainly lovely, struck me from the previews as one step above Sharknado - is currently sitting at 92% on RT, and drawing comparisons to (and even earning higher praise than) Jaws. Still quite a few reviews to come in, but the trend is overwhelmingly positive.

Always interesting when this happens. Would amount to a good year for her young family if this critical success amounts to box office success, coming off the heels of Deadpool.

BigAl6ft6 and Rylo Ken like this.
  18. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    The trailer for The Shallows is outstanding. I think it's going to do very well provided people know it's coming out.

19. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    I must have seen an early teaser trailer - looking at the most recent one, you're right. Looks very intense, and good.

20. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I've only seen a couple TV spots, no trailers. But I'll have to keep an eye for it whenever it releases.

21. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I can't imagine a sequel happening for Warcraft, mainly because Terminator Genitalwarts made huge $$ globally, but WB still abandoned plans to make sequels due to bad domestic performance. Then again, different studios.

22. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    T5 also had very little positive reaction either critically (26%) or with audiences (55%). Whereas Warcraft seems to have at least had a pretty positive reaction from the audiences that did see it (80%), even if it fell just as short critically (29%).

Add to that the time pressure of Terminator's rights issues and the more lucrative merchandising for Warcraft and you can see why the scales might tip in Warcraft's favor.

Essentially, there's far more indication that audiences would want more Warcraft films than Terminator films.

23. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    I read this article this morning on World of Warcraft.

There's a Dark Side to the Warcraft Movie's Epic Success in China

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  24. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Not really related, but is Zac Effron desperate for a hit this year? He has three films out this year that I know of. One that tanked (Dirty Grandpa) and one that underperformed (Neighbors 2). Mike and Dave Need Wedding Dates looks wrist slittingly awful, and it's opening alongside Secret Life of Pets. Is he the new Ryan Reynolds?

25. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001