main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph The 2016 Box Office Bloodshower

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Nov 29, 2015.

1. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    You complete me.

Edit: Bringing rich back around to Tom.

2. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    Meanwhile, everyone seems convinced that Suicide Squad will have the largest opening weekend ever in August. Will Smith is back! Where are the reviews? If this is a hit, Margot Robbie is going to become the next big female superstar in exactly the kind of way that appearing with Will Smith in Focus didn't make her that. Also, we could have told her that The Legend of Tarzan wasn't going to help.

3. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I think it'd be awesome if Suicide Squad opened bigger than BvS, although that might not make it there. However, for some reason, I think it'll outgross BvS in North America.

4. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Let's not forget about Fantastic Beasts and Where to Put Your Money. It's got a solid month before RO comes out, and I'm sure it'll beat at least The Jungle Book.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  5. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Everyone...being those that track pre-sales? I'd say that's a fair metric. And typically reviews come out on the Tuesday before release. If there are none out by tomorrow, FairPlay. But don't knee jerk just yet.

6. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015

unless it's really, really, awful, it's going to be huge. Young moviegoers who aren't all about taking little kids to see cartoons have been waiting all summer for something big big big.

7. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    We have been waiting for Will Smith. And he is about to arrive.

Rylo Ken and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  8. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
  9. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Review embargo is down in 8 minutes.

Rylo Ken likes this.
  10. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    There's really nothing interesting coming out this month besides SS. Pete's Dragon might makes some money, but the trailers weren't interesting. I haven't seen a single trailer or TV spot for Ben Hur.

11. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    Chicago Tribune: Suicide Squad an incoherent, awful mess not saved by the commanding and welcome presence of Smith, Robbie and Davis.

The Wrap: Suicide Squad an incoherent, awful mess not saved by the commanding and welcome presence of Smith, Robbie and Davis.

RT score = 0%

Note to Jabba-wocky - Will Smith is blameless.

And, obviously, critics won't have the slightest impact on opening weekend.

12. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Suicide Squad broke the August opening record with $135.1 million, topping Guardian's 94.3. It also takes the August record for top Thursday previews and top opening day. Its worldiwde opening totals also edged out Deadpool's by about 3 million. The reviews and rankings are slightly better than BVS's, but not by much, so it could be aiming for a similar drop off next weekend (BOM also points out that BVS's domestic multiplier of 1.99 is currently the worst for any movie opening above $100 million, which I found interesting- I wonder how much of that was the film/word of mouth and how much was the release window?).

This was also the first time this calendar weekend topped 190 (it actually cracked 200 too), though SS, Bourne and Trek have been canablizing each other apparently.Also, Dory hit #8 on the domestic all time list and is about to surpass TPM for the #7 slot.

SS: 135.1
    Bourne: 22.7
    Bad Moms: 14.2
    Pets: 11.5
    Trek: 10.2
    Lights Out: 6
    Nerve: 4.9
    GBATC: 4.8
    Ice Age: 4.3

13. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    So Suicide Squad has now topped the Box Office for three straight weeks. Not bad.

Passed X-Men: Apocalypse in worldwide gross for this year with $575 million, and domestic gross of $262 million places it above Cap 1/2, both Thor movies, all X-Men movies, and the two Garfield Spidey movies.

Don't think it'll make it to Deadpool, but a great rake in for WB.

14. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    They picked the perfect time to release that film. Everything else has underperformed horribly this month. Especially Ben Hur Derp.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  15. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    I wish I could have been at the studio meeting when they decided that remaking Ben Hur again was a good idea.

16. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    For reference, the weekend numbers were:

1) Suicide Squad: 20.8
    2) Sausage Party: 15.4
    3) War Dogs: 14.6
    4) Kubo: 12.6
    5) Pete's Dragon: 11.3
    6) Ben-Hur: 11.2

17. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    It's like I said all along: Don't underestimate Will Smith.

18. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    One film I'm looking forward to (new trailer released this week) in November is Manchester by the Sea, with Casey Affleck and Michelle Williams.

Cast is absolutely outstanding, top to bottom (Kyle Chandler, Matthew Broderick), and the premise of the story looks great. The trailer itself is very powerful. Hopefully a contender for an Academy Award next year.

Trailer:

Rylo Ken likes this.
  19. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    reading girl on a train right now. Hope the movie is good.

20. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    Arrival and La La Land getting good reviews at the Venice Film Festival.

Good fall/winter for sci fi:

looking forward to Morgan, Arrival, Rogue One and Passengers.

21. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    La La Land was originally scheduled to come out, like, last month but it was pushed back (to December! In limited release, probably) because Oscar hype. Which legitimately bothers me 1) I need more Emma Stone now. All she had last year was Irrational Man fer crissakes. 2) how alot of good movies get pushed back because Oscar Hype. Check the scoreboard, people, a best picture winner hasn't been released in December in over 10 years, I believe.

Rylo Ken likes this.
  22. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    Emma's a talent, and I'm glad to see her career bouncing back from the "Aloha" debacle.

Meanwhile, Morgan has landed below 50% on RT, but I'm going to see it anyway, because sci fi, and because Ridley Scott's son and because Anya Taylor-Joy

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  23. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Saw Morgan, I really liked it. Sort of skirts being an Ex Machina remake at times but basically becomes a thriller / horror flick (if of the two horror movies out now, Don't Breathe and Morgan I would recommend Morgan). Nifty revelations in the closing moments. Luke Scott has definitely inherited his dad's sense of slow burn pretty dread that goes all violent-y in the finale.

This clip really sums up the entirety of Paul Giamatti's contributions to the film and it's kind of amazing.

Rylo Ken likes this.
  24. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Anyway, speaking of Morgan and box office bloodshowers, better hurry up and see it folks it debuted in 17th(!) place making it one of the worst wide openings of all time, ahhhh!!

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=4220&p=.htm

The other new wide release of the weekend was Fox's sci-fi thriller Morgan. Directed by Luke Scott, son of Ridley Scott, the R-rated feature finished in 17th position with an estimated $1.96 million opening weekend from 2,020 theaters. This is the seventh worst opening all-time for a film opening in more than 2,000 theaters, just behind last year's box office bust We are Your Friends. Budgeted at just $8 million, expectation heading into the weekend was for a four-day haul around $6 million, right now it's looking to finish around $2.4 million at best. Demographic information was not immediately available, but opening day audiences didn't seem to take to it, scoring the film with a "C+" CinemaScore, which doesn't bode well for its future prospects.

25. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I think the lack of marketing hurt it. I never saw a trailer outside of that viral video that showed reaction videos by two different robots that were shown the trailer.