main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph The 2016 Box Office Bloodshower

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Nov 29, 2015.

1. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Based upon that, why exactly would anyone want to see it?

2. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Morgan marketing was not that great. I saw one ad on TV and it made it look more like a possession horror movie (and the trailer flat-out lies about a moment that does not happen in the film). It was only when it popped up in an article online that I saw "oh! Sci-fi movie, neat!"

3. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    Magnificent Seven vs. Storks. Should be a decent box office weekend. Storks is taking the Hotel Transylvania 2 slot. That movie made $48 million on opening weekend and overall grossed nearly 6 x its budget worldwide - the 16th biggest movie of 2015.

4. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I'm curious how badly Tim Burton's latest is going to do. It's coming out the same weekend Deepwater Horizon is. Plus, Girl on the Train comes out the weekend after. Plus the trailer makes it look like a typical post-Sweeny Todd Tim Burton fare aka "I'd rather watch Mars Attacks! again than this POS".

5. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    Magnificent Seven has a 63% on RT. I was hoping that this remake's remake's remake would have faired better with the critics. I guess I'm not surprised. I hope it's actually enjoyable regardless a la Suicide Squad. I may post my review on Thursday morning in the "last movie" thread as I won tickets from my local radio station. #humblebrag

BigAl6ft6 and Rylo Ken like this.
  6. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Suicide Squad, Magnificent Seven and Rogue One. good year for misfits on a mission movies!

7. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    Well, hopefully, the third's time the charm.

Ghost likes this.
  8. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    If you keep watching these terrible movies, what will you become?

9. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    He spoke, from personal experience.

Boba_Fett_2001 likes this.
  10. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    It takes balls to open a character-driven sci fi movie the weekend after Rogue One, but I guess Weinstein/Dimension has enormous confidence in the combined box office power of kersplatt and Jlaw.

Diggy and Amon_Amarth like this.
  11. jabberwalkie

jabberwalkie Jedi Master star 4

Dec 2, 2014
    I have every intention of seeing Passengers in theater, after I see R1 a second time (tentatively). :D

12. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    The aesthetics of Passenger from the trailer are humiliating for the sci fi genre. A sublight colonization ship brimming with unused space. An android/alien/hologram bartender? Every interstellar spaceship needs the bartender from Kubrick's The Shining via Star Trek the Next Generation. Other than that I got some nice "Silent Running/MST3K" vibes, but also some unpleasant "The Black Hole" discomfort in my GI tract.

13. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

It was intentionally moved to the Award Season (specifically, Christmas) after they saw the early cut -- so yes, there is immense confidence in this.

Rylo Ken likes this.
  14. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    I'm sure it's all about the Pratt/Lawrence on screen chemistry, annoying sci fi genre cliches be damned. They're both very likable, bankable emerging stars. There hasn't been an on screen meeting this big since the teaming of Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie in Mr. and Mrs. Smith.

It's probably written into their contract that they're required to have an affair and cause the breakup of Pratt's marriage.

15. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    I don't want to pile on too much here, but given all of its self generated multi-year hype and expectations, it's pretty stunning that BVS will end up outside of the top five grossing films of the year. It wasn't a financial failure of course, but for a film that was clearly gunning for #1 this year, it's disappointing.

16. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    I really wanted Secret Life of Pets to beat it. Close. Very close.

But Independence Day 2 and Star Trek Beyond are two of the year's floppiest flops

17. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Wait, so this is coming out the same weekend Assassin's Creed is, which is all happening the weekend after Rogue One? Goddamn I wanted AC to be the movie that finally breaks the video game to movie curse.

18. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    Chances are good that Assassin's Creed will be moved out of the holiday season and directly to Amazon Prime

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  19. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Only if you limit it to domestic grosses.

STB has only been out for 1.5 weeks in China and has already done $62m, the film will probably end up with another 30-40 from there alone (it also opened in other territories, like Mexico & Brazil, relatively recently as well- not sure if there are still more to come though).

That will put it above ST09 worldwide and above STID foreign, nesting it somewhere in the 2+x multiplier range (by comparison, ST09 & STID had about 2.5x each). So, not a big success but not a money loss either (especially considering the long-term merchandising and video income- which is why ST14 is already a go), despite underperforming domestically compared to the first two.

ID4-2 is sitting at a more-or-less final gross of $387m worldwide, which is a 2.3x modifier. Again, not a total that makes ID4-3 likely* but it wasn't a flop.

*I wouldn't hold my breath but, with these numbers in mind, if they trimmed $20-30m off the budget, they might still be able to make a profitable third film, if only to be able to package the series as a trilogy.

20. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    The most profitable movies of the year:

Deadpool - 13.5 x budget
    Secret Life of Pets - 10.75 x budget
    Me Before You - 10.25 x budget
    Conjuring 2 - 8 x budget

Deadpool - Popular D list superhero plus modest budget
    Secret Life of Pets - popular animation studio and restrained budget
    Me Before You - "Fault in Our Stars" style ill-fated romance plus modest budget
    Conuring 2 - low budget branded horror

Nothing very new this year. Same old lessons of commercial success.

21. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    I feel like this year didn't even deserve its own thread. It's been a total bust. The only good movies (possibly) will be Fantastic Beasts and Rogue One.

22. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    2016 wasn't a total loss. The Lobster. The Witch. Tickled.

Tickled was definitely this year's Room 237 for me.

23. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    In a way, it deserved a thread more than last year- there were far more busts/underperformers/bloodletters than last year when we thought the crowded schedule would result in a lot of cannibalization.

Though for different reasons, summer 2016 actually lived up to the name more than 2015.

24. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Deadpool forgot his guns in the third act because Fox axed the budget, again, before they started filming. True story. And, by forgetting his guns, it made the movie even more profitable.

As for Star Trek 14, hey, I think a budget cut for a Star Trek movie isn't the worst idea. Wrath of Khan had way less the budget of Motion Picture and they got a classic out of it.

But, speaking of box office lack of profit on a decades later sequel, Blair Witch made about 9.5 million it's opening weekend. Blair Witch Project made about 29 million it's first weekend of wide release (for a total of almost 250 million worldwide) in 1999.

But the biggest bona-fide lack of cash earners this summer are probably things like Morgan, Popstar and the genuine no good was Ben Hur (by a lot)

25. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    And made the movie even better than had it had the original shootout sequence.

I don think they'll cut it back much further than Beyond's (185)- at least not for ST14. So long as the films keep bringing in 2-3x their budget, the aforementioned long term profits offset any initial budget concerns (so long as it doesn't go higher). They'll definitely spend more than 150 (ST09). I'm thinking 170-175 is the floor