main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph The 2016 Box Office Bloodshower

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Nov 29, 2015.

1. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    What I would do is turn Trek into an animated feature film franchise and make them for the cost of "Secret Lives of Pets" ~$75 million each, starting with Star Trek: The Animated Series: The Motion Picture.

2. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    They should just slash the budget completely and make them all direct-to-DVD Steven Segal action pieces where he's the captain of the Defiant.

Steven Segal is...Into Darkness

Steven Segal is...Beyond

Steven Segal is...Not a Merry Man

BigAl6ft6 and The2ndQuest like this.
  3. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
  4. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    That looks fun. The question is, which of the two characters is the psycho stalker that's triggered and is manipulating events. I'm going with Chris Pratt.

Rylo Ken likes this.
  5. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    It's Autumn bloodshower time!

this week: Ben Affleck does a generic action movie!
    next week: so does Tom Cruise!
    week after that: Tom Hanks is in a race against time opposed by sinister forces aligned in a global conspiracy! For the third time!
    week after that: Bertrand Lumberjack goes slumming with Marvel in exchange for a massive payday [face_plain]

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  6. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    It'll be interesting to see how Reacher does.

7. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    Jack Reacher is one of my favorite non human Harry Potter characters. glad he's getting his own movie!

[​IMG]

8. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Fascinating ending bit in this article re. the distinct lack of box office mojo in the last 3 months:

http://variety.com/2016/film/news/box-office-the-accountant-kevin-hart-what-now-1201889275/

The overall fall season has been a disappointment with “Sully” having emerged as the best performer with $115 million after five weeks. Major titles such as “Deepwater Horizon” and “Storks” have fallen short of expectations, leaving the fall season so far at its lowest level since 2011 with $702 million since the day after Labor Day, according to comScore.
    The 2016 fall season is a hefty 13.3% down from the same period of 2015, which saw strong performances from “Hotel Transylvania” and Matt Damon’s “The Martian.” It’s down 17% from the 2014 fall season at the same point, with “Gone Girl” and “Annabelle” leading the way.
    Paul Dergarabedian, senior media analyst with comScore, said that November and December will see several strong performers such as Warner Bros.’ “Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them” and Disney’s “Doctor Strange” and “Rogue One: A Star Wars Story.”
    “A slow moving fall season, with tough ongoing comparisons to last year’s solidly performing crop of films, continues to drone on with the industry holding its collective and hopeful breath for the next big breakout blockbuster,” he said. “That said, Ben Affleck and Kevin Hart will have nothing to complain about as both of their films will perform as expected and add to a marketplace chock full of options from every genre. Though somewhat light on their ability to generate massive excitement among potential moviegoers, there are many potential hits on the way that could turn this ‘free-fall’ into a holiday season uplift.”
    Year-to-date domestic grosses are 3.1% ahead at $8.82 million.

However, I betcha in the last 3 weeks of December, in the end, 2015 will outgross 2016 in box office yearly total overall. Because there isn't a movie titled "Star Wars: The Force Awakens" released in December. Yes, I know there's Rouge One but, c'mon, it ain't reachin TFA numbers.

9. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    We're getting so very close to the Fall movie every genre fan has been waiting for: Arrival

A sci fi movie for sci fi fans. Guaranteed box office disappointment, but I'll see this one opening night!

10. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    This coming weekend has something for everyone! Three movies out for different audiences, all seem to be getting very solid reviews:

Dr. Strange for the yuuuuge Marvel fanbase of tween boys
    Trolls for the smaller kids and family audience
    Hacksaw Ridge for older audiences and/or anyone who feels there's an unmet demand for WW2 movies and/or anyone who still feels sympathy toward Mel Gibson as a filmmaker.

11. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    And we have Inferno bombing this past weekend- however it's overseas totals are good so the series might still continue if they keep to modestly budgeted entries like Inferno.

The movie itself was rather... familiar, however. Khan's character being the only real standout.

Strange also launched overseas who h strong numbers, topping Guardians and TWS as far as similar openings go.

12. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Inferno the book was godawful. In fact, most of the books written by Dan Brown are horrid. He doesn't understand character development, continuity, or how characters talk. He writes like an overexcited 12 year old boy. He also has a creepy fascination with the word "slender" which he uses to describe most of the female characters.

13. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    I read Da Vinci Code and still feel bad about it.

Arrival really has my hopes up for a true modern science fiction classic. We've had a few small gems and respectable efforts in the past 6 or 7 years, and maybe District 9 stands out as the best mainstream sci fi movie of the past decade, but hopefully Arrival can stand with that at the very least.

14. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    While there are way too many World War II movies I don't think we've hit a quota yet this year and I do dig a good one. So I'll try to check Hacksaw Ridge out. But my first priority this weekend is obviously Doctor Strange.

15. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Not Trolls? I don't think he likes us, Ender Sai :(

Ender Sai likes this.
  16. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Rylo Ken -- Interstellar was pretty good right up until it crapped the bed though...

Juke Skywalker and Rylo Ken like this.
  17. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015

I guess I'd agree with that statement depending on where you set that marker for "crapping the bed."

18. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

Everything until after the tesseract and removing anything Anne Hathaway says about Love being a new universal force / dimension. She's not Captain Planet...

Juke Skywalker and Rylo Ken like this.
  19. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
  20. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    Renowned author Dan Brown gazed admiringly at the pulchritudinous brunette’s blonde tresses, flowing from her head like a stream but made from hair instead of water and without any fish in.

that's more or less exactly how I remember Da Vinci Code.

21. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Thursday preview for DS took in $9.4m, which is more than XMA (8.2), TDW (7.1) & AM1 (6.4) as far as recent Marvel films go (and is dead center for MCU previews in general, ranking #7 out of 14). As a result, estimates are getting raised from the initial 65-70 range to 70+.

22. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    Arrival

100% Rottentomatoes, 72 reviews
    the best sci fi movie of 2016?
    box office: negligible
    <$20 million opening weekend
    <$50 million U.S. box office
    <$100 million worldwide

$50 million production budget?

might do slightly better than Midnight Special, which made $6 million on an $18 million budget

23. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    if a heady sci-fi piece can double it's budget, in these days that's total winning

Rylo Ken likes this.
  24. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
  25. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    "If a science fiction film with a lot of head can double it is plot, in these days that's total winning"

Diggy, I've no idea. Near as I can tell frontier gibberish was plugged into Google Translate and this was the "English" it spat out.

Diggy likes this.