main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph The 2016 Box Office Bloodshower

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Nov 29, 2015.

1. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    A lot of it probably has to do with the issues about Benghazi. Especially since the media and or politicians keep bringing it back up often and using it as a political issue, and basically a lot of people are more than likely burnt out and not wanting to see a movie about it. American Sniper was basically a biofilm about a guy who was a sniper, but the film focused on more than that, such as his family life and such.

Plus, you know there's this little movie called The Force Awakens...

AmySolo likes this.
  2. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Ride-Along 2, Revenant & TFA all did well this weekend w/ 34, 29.5 & 25.1 respectively. That's a pretty good, diverse lineup to draw people away too.

Juliet316 likes this.
  3. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Revenant, including foreign cash, has made back its budget! Surprising!

4. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    Long way to go for profitability, but it had a great weekend with a nice Oscar nomination boost.

5. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    One revision to ease the spring releases a tad- the new Pee-Wee movie is apparently only on Netflix so it won't be a factor at the box office. It has a new teaser trailer out though! :)

6. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    And, looking ahead to the future, it's looks like the delay of Episode 8 to Dec 2017 not only avoids this year's Rogue One from eating into E8 only 6 months later as originally scheduled... but also puts E8 & Avatar 2 head to head in Dec 2017... iiiiiiinteresting...

7. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    Avatar 2 will blink. Star Wars will own Christmas from this day forward. It's the best way to keep the MCU and Star Wars out of each other's hair. No franchise cannibalizing allowed. February and October are for the ****** MCU titles like Deadpool. May is for the big MCU stuff that ties well into Avengers. November for Dr. Whatever and December for Star Wars. Nothing but Star Wars.

8. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Avatar 2 won't blink because Avatar 2 won't be finished. James Cameron here, people, c'mon. I expect Avatar 2 in 2019, 10 years after the original.

9. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Oh, I wouldn't be surprised to see A2 get delayed to Xmas '18. But even that means it goes against Anthology #2 (assuming they maintain the holiday release window for every SW film regardless of it being Episode or Anthology), A3 goes up against Episode IX and A4 goes up against Anthology #3.

Because whenever that first one hits, it's going to be a certainty that they'll hit annually from that point, given how they're being filmed together.

1) Deadpool isn't MCU, it's Foxverse.

2) Second tier (or riskier/unproven) MCU titles tend to end up in late July/early August- Cap 1, Guardians, Ant-Man, etc).

3) I totally agree that this is part of Disney's plan to keep the MCU & SW franchises out of each other's way (not to mention gives them a total lock on two of the top four largest release dates).

I suspect they originally only moved TFA to Dec because the Marvel weekend movie this year was an Avengers film and figured SW would return to the May slots for the years until the next Avengers film.

But now they both can do Avengers-level or higher business at their bookend locations for the blockbuster movie year.

4) Even though Disney doesn't own the Avatar films, they still have a vested interest in their success via the Animal Kingdom theme park expansion. So franchise cannibalizing might be difficult to avoid from that perspective.

The question then becomes "If Fox & Disney decide to move Avatar- where does it go?". Considering how much the Xmas release window & January void played into Avatar's success (and Titanic's before it), it's a fascinating question. I find it difficult for them to move it into the summer where there'd be more competition (though the JW June release would do decently) or Thanksgiving when for that matter. And an earlier Dec release would run it up against SW.

And, given A1's rep is so heavily centered around it's BO records, they're going to want to avoid "negative" "it only performed ok" type of comparisons- something release in a high competition window could potentially escalate.

Juliet316 likes this.
  10. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    AmySolo likes this.
  11. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    It's never going to happen. There is almost no Avatar fanbase anymore, if there ever was one. Let it die.

FatBurt, Sarge, AmySolo and 1 other person like this.
  12. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    I saw the trailer for The Boy. I love Laura Cohan. She's one of the delights of Walking Dead, and she's as beguiling as ever in this trailer...but...the...premise. My sides are aching.

If you take this job, you are a terrible person and you deserve the evil spirit that has it out for you.

Still, it can't be much worse than 5th Wave or Dirty Grandpa, given the RT scores.

AmySolo and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  13. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I really don't think it matters to Cameron. He's going to make 3 movies, Fox won't say no to their highest grossing director & Disney won't let their theme park investment go to waste.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  14. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Really, how big of a fanbase does the Fast/Ampersand/Furious/Arabic Numeral franchise have? Mission Impossible? Star Wars in China-- or anywhere? Even the MCU and what successes DC manages? I really don't think most people who buy overpriced tickets to big-budget spectacles are "fans." People saw Avatar because it was The Thing to See. Maybe Avatar 2 won't have that and will fail dismally, but it won't be because it lacks a fanbase because that's mostly irrelevant. People remember Avatar and that alone may be enough. It's enough for other franchises.

AmySolo likes this.
  15. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Alternatively, since they're positioning these films as a new trilogy, the new premise might be unique enough to entice audiences in regardless of their awareness/recollection of A1.

It's kinda like your example of F&F- going by the box office, there's no way everyone who saw Fast 5, 6 & 7 actually saw all preceding 4 films.

16. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    I never saw Avatar on the big screen, and have only seen parts of it on the small screen. But I'm not 100% against seeing the next ones, assuming they look interesting. But I'm not sure Cameron can do interesting anymore.

17. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    Well, I've been interested in Avatar 2 when I heard reports that Cameron's deep sea expeditions were, in part, research and inspiration for the sequel. And the reports that the sequels have been delayed because Cameron was developing technology for the film. So, from a technical and visual stand point, I'm certainly looking forward to Avatar 2. But, story wise, not so much.

I've seen Avatar twice; once in a theater for the 3D experience and once at home.

18. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    Cameron's pushing a new theater/projection technology where all the audience members put on scuba gear, dive to the bottom of a deep holding tank, and then watch the movie projected onto the insides of their goggles.

19. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    Finally, the weekend of Hail, Caesar and Pride and Prejudice and Zombies has arrived along with $5 million Super Bowl ad spots.

Considering that P&P&Z was one of the worst books I've ever read, a 45% RT score seems like a huge win.

Similarly, it's a shame about the 77% RT for the highly anticipated (by me) Hail, Caesar.

There was a time when Natalie Portman was supposed to be in P&P&Z but she was probably wise to detach if that was ever the to begin with.

20. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Yeah, she took the smart route and stuck with Jane Got A Gun despite all its troubles. It totally paid off.

Rylo Ken likes this.
  21. AmySolo

AmySolo Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 12, 2016
    YES
    Maybe
    Home Viewing
    Nope

Jan: The Hateful Eight (wide release), Kung-Fu Panda 3, The Finest Hours, Ride Along 2, Revenant
    Feb: Hail Caesar!, Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, Deadpool, Zoolander 2, Gods of Egypt
    March: London Has Fallen, Divergent: Progressively Worse Trailers, Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice, My Big Fat Greek Wedding 2
    April: The Jungle Book, The Huntsman: Winter's War, Ratchet & Clank
    May: ****Captain America: Civil War****, The Angry Birds Movie, Neighbors 2, Alice: Through the Looking Glass, X-Men: Apocalypse, The Nice Guys
    June: TMNT: Half Shell, The Conjuring 2: The Enfield Poltergeist, Now You See Me 2, Warcraft, Central Intelligence, Finding Dory, ID4: Resurgence
    July: The BFG, The Purge 3, Tarzan, Ghostbusters, Ice Age: Collision Course, Knights of the Round Table: Star Trek Beyond, Bourne 5
    August: Suicide Squad, Ben-Hur, Pete's Dragon, Sausage Party
    September: The Popeye Movie, The Magnificent Seven
    October: Gambit, Inferno, Underworld: Next Generation, Jack Reacher: Never Go Back
    November: ****Doctor Strange****, Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them, The Great Wall, Moana
    December: ****Rogue One: A Star Wars Story****, Assassin's Creed, Jumanji, Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children

Top 3 are no brainers, with Cap leading the pack namely because I LOVED Winter Soldier. If I'm honest, most of the maybes will end up home viewing mostly because I don't have a lot of time for movies at the cinema anymore ( [face_sigh])

And I've come to the conclusion I just care too much and know too much source to be able to watch BvS or Suicide Squad with an unbiased opinion. About the only thing I've seen so far that I liked is Jeremy Irons, and sadly, he's not enough.

For those interested in ID4: what do you think about Will Smith's character being dead?

22. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    Our lists are exactly alike, with a few edits:

YES
    Maybe
    Home Viewing
    Nope

Jan: The Hateful Eight (wide release), Kung-Fu Panda 3, The Finest Hours, Ride Along 2, Revenant
    Feb: Hail Caesar!, Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, Deadpool, Zoolander 2, Gods of Egypt
    March: London Has Fallen, Divergent: Progressively Worse Trailers, Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice, My Big Fat Greek Wedding 2
    April: The Jungle Book, The Huntsman: Winter's War, Ratchet & Clank
    May: Captain America: Civil War, The Angry Birds Movie, Neighbors 2, Alice: Through the Looking Glass, X-Men: Apocalypse, The Nice Guys
    June: TMNT: Half Shell, The Conjuring 2: The Enfield Poltergeist, Now You See Me 2, Warcraft, Central Intelligence, Finding Dory, ID4: Resurgence
    July: The BFG, The Purge 3, Tarzan, Ghostbusters, Ice Age: Collision Course, Knights of the Round Table:, Star Trek Beyond, Bourne 5, The Space Between Us
    August: Suicide Squad, Ben-Hur, Pete's Dragon, Sausage Party
    September: The Popeye Movie, The Magnificent Seven
    October: Gambit, Inferno, Underworld: Next Generation, Jack Reacher: Never Go Back
    November: Doctor Strange, Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them, Bad Santa 2, The Great Wall, Moana
    December: ****Rogue One: A Star Wars Story****, Assassin's Creed, Jumanji,Passengers, Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children

AmySolo likes this.
  23. AmySolo

AmySolo Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 12, 2016
    Neat, but you crush my heart Rylo Ken. No CA or Strange?

24. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    I should ask you whether Dr. Strange is some kind of update of the old Mandrake the Magician comic. I like Mandrake the Magician. If not I'll wait for Mandrake the Motion Picture.

25. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Nah, not even the slightest hint of gesturing hypnotically.

soitscometothis likes this.