main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph The 2016 Box Office Bloodshower

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Nov 29, 2015.

1. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I Saw the last two divergent's but gonna go with 10 Cloverfield Lane instead. I Do like looking at Shaline Woodley, though, and I think she manages to put in decent performances even in something as .... let's go with "unique" as this. And I didn't hate the 2nd movie! Decent scenery chewing by Kate Winslet helps a lot. Still think the 4th movie is going to happen just because of sheer franchise momentum.

Zootopia (Which is awesome) will probably win again this weekend, I'd wager maybe 40ish, unless Cloverfield Lane turns out to have a big opening.

2. AmySolo

AmySolo Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 12, 2016
    I see zero momentum for Divergent continuing; literally no one's talking about watching it except for you.

That's a toughy. I see Cloverfield taking the weekend IF enough people got word of it. The surprise trailer outta nowhere and such a short (comparatively) ad campaign may hurt it. Really interested to see.

3. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    whoops, my bad, Divergent: More Divergent-ing is out next weekend. It'll do fine. Last one made 52 million opening weekend so franchise fatigue factor, blah blah blah, probably 45 million opening. But I can see it crossing 100 million North America and probably double overseas.

AmySolo likes this.
  4. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    You're disgusting.

5. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    Not Cloverfield 2 is at 92% on RT with 95 reviews. Not bad at all.

Unfortunately, my wife is going out tonight "with her friends" or so she tells me, so I'll have to wait until Sunday to see it (without her). Age Group State swim championship tomorrow.

Guess I'll invite a "friend" too.

AmySolo likes this.
  6. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    I'd see it with you, if we didn't have 951 miles between us.

Rylo Ken likes this.
  7. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    who says long distance relationships don't work,

...though it would be great if more of you JCC misfits lived in or around Chicago.

8. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

You remind me so much of my fraternity brother out in that area, except he's a particle physics guy and I think his wife is not Austrian. :p

9. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    I'm almost the exact opposite of a particle physics guy. I have siblings in NYC though, so I'm always up for a Manhattan meetup in the four or five times a year I'm out there.

dp4m likes this.
  10. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Word of mouth for Cloverfield 2.OrWhatever is pretty good so far from what I've read.

11. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    I will find out for you tonight. Turns out my wife is going out next Friday, not this Friday. Here's to Alone at the Movies. I'll try to wear a trenchcoat and sit in the back row.

AmySolo likes this.
  12. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Best seats in the house are flying solo. Also you aren't supposed to talk when you're at the movies. I really don't know why people insist upon going with "someone". Just freakin' go already!

Anyway, that aside, here's a fun list of Highest Grossing Movie Franchises (worldwide is the number I'm looking at)

http://www.the-numbers.com/movies/franchises/sort/World

top 5 are MCU (9 billion), Potter (7.7 billion), Bond (7.0), Star Wars (6.6) & Jackson's Hobbit/LOTR (5.8). Be interesting to see this list in 3 years or so. Also, in fairness, they should make a DCEU category.

13. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Those Star Wars numbers look legit.

14. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    Midnight Special, one of the most highly anticipated sci fi movies of the year, by me, starts a limited theatrical run on Friday. Don't know when or if it will open wide.

Michael Shannon, one of the Few Good Things about Man of Steel, stars with Kirsten Dunst.

Midnight Special auteur Jeff Nichols wrote/directed Take Shelter, one of my favorite movies of 2011, also starring Michael Shannon about a man desperately prepping for some kind of impending disaster that may or may not be a figment of his own psychosis. Not sure why I identified so completely with this character and movie.

15. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Interesting read re. LionsGate coming to terms with Divergent 3: Moar Divergent-ing poor box office performance (and about to be curbstomped by BvS - which is tracking for 160 mil North America, 300+ million worldside). Also YA adaptation drop off, happened to Hunger Games 4 as well but not as considerably a divebomb. Yet they're STILL making that 4th freakin Divergent movie!

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/lionsgate-slash-ascendant-budget-as-877141

16. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I imagine the franchise is worth more, long term, if completed than left unfinished.

17. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    yeah but I would assume that the 4th flick is probably gonna lose money as well, unless they suddenly somehow make it for 10 million (but that's still like, what, 50 mil at least in advertising?). Are Divergent Box Sets / selling the 4 movie series to digital and cable outlets gonna recoup them taking a bath on the 3rd & 4th flicks? I'd say cut bait now. How would they make that money back?

speaking of franchise-ing, Batman v Superman made 27 mil in Thursday night shows and good ole boxofficemojo is saying a 160 weekend. That's a hellova lot of cake! Maybe not Star Wars or Jurassic World or the first Avengers level cake but certainly a lot! I'd wager 2nd weekend Batman v Superman probably makes .... 90 million, at least? Seeing how much it drops will be interesting (I'ma seeing it tomorrow anyway)

18. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I'm thinking it's not so much box sets as lower interest in "Oh, they never finished the story/series" products by the audience factoring into secondary market sales like streaming and cable.

19. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
  20. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    Disney is firing on all cylinders.

Jungle Book: 95% RT
    The Force Awakens: 92% RT

21. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Civil War is looking to end up in that range as well.

Rylo Ken likes this.
  22. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    that figures

23. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I was sad that Hardcore Henry wasn't a hit, but after seeing it yesterday, I can understand why.

24. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, it's a shame as it was fun experience but the plot just didn't have the depth needed to elevate it above a fun experiment.

25. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    Jungle Book has blown past estimates with a $32 million Friday. Huge weekend ahead. Not Furious 7 numbers, but possibly takes out Captain American Winter Soldier's April opening.