main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph The 2016 Box Office Bloodshower

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Nov 29, 2015.

1. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    Saw the full BFG trailer when I took the 12 year old to Jungle Book this weekend.

It looks phenomenal. The kind of thing that Spielberg can Spielbergify all he wants and only make it better in a way that was not at all true for War of the Worlds. And the kid looks like another fantastic find on the order of a Drew Barrymore and Henry Thomas in E.T.

I read BFG multiple times to both boys, and the trailer felt like the book, delightful and perfect. Do not think there is another movie until Rogue One that I want to see more.

Todd the Jedi likes this.
  2. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    I just don't like Snyder's take on Supes. I loved the Nolan Batman films but disliked Green Lantern and MoS.

How was TJB Rylo Ken? The visuals are getting raves. Most of it was shot in LA on a soundstage.

3. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Also, Batman and Superman are #2 and #3 respectively in superhero draws. I mean, they're both top-tier A-listers, unlike Iron Man, Hulk, Thor, etc.

ShaneP likes this.
  4. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015

In terms of immersive CGI junglescapes, it puts Avatar to shame. You can really see the improvements of nearly a decade in visual effects.

The little boy is outstanding. The animation is fantastic. Mostly though it felt like an homage to the cartoon. I did like Murray's bear. Edgier and more self-serving than the Phil Harris Baloo.

Todd the Jedi and ShaneP like this.
  5. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    See and I loved Avatar's environmental work at the time so this sounds like it could be amazing.
    I've heard the little kid is really good against all that tech. No small feat:

[​IMG]

6. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I liked Jungle Book but didn't have this transcendent magical experience everyone keeps talking about. Definitely the winner for best VFX for 2016 already though.

7. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    You're comparing Iron Man or Thor or CA to a film that has Suoerman and Batman and Wonder Woman.

You're...special.

8. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    Show/sellout numbers for Civil War in various areas seem to head for being decisively bigger than Batman vs Superman while also not being anywhere near the numbers TFA had. I guess this will have a pretty broad range of possibilies for the opening weekend. Somewhere between 185 and 215 million perhaps, depending on how big the walk-on business is.

9. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    Combined Thursday/Friday total makes Captain Revengers 3 the third best-performing Marvel opening day behind Age of Ultron and Avengers.

Given the reviews, it's possible this one has a better Saturday than Age of Ultron. Hard to tell. It was a better movie than the tedious Winter Soldier or the overblown Age of Ultron.

10. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Oh boy! I'm off to theater at this very moment!

tom likes this.
  11. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    i will never understand all the praise winter soldier gets. people said "it's like a 70's thriller", i guess because robert redford is in it?

soitscometothis and Rylo Ken like this.
  12. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I figure most people calling it a 70s political thriller weren't around in the actual 70s.

soitscometothis and tom like this.
  13. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    I think because it's just like All the President's Men. just like.

tom likes this.
  14. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    It's a 70's spy thriller because the villain's plot is over-the-top and makes no sense.

So every MCU film is a 70's spy thriller.

tom likes this.
  15. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    That's even more true of this latest movie. Dear villain, congratulations on your evil plan almost working out exactly as you planned, because there's no reason it should have. None of the things that happened were connected by any logical causative sequence that necessitated them happening. So the fact that it did almost work is a stroke of immense good fortune.

16. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    I liked Winter Soldier because it took a shot at Drone Strikes and extrajudicial killings.

tom likes this.
  17. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    With a $75.2m thurs/fri haul, Cap 3 is is targeting an estimated 175-190 weekend, which should put it into the 5th largest opening ever, just edging out Iron Man 3, but probably won't join A1/JW/TFA in the 200+ club or top AOU in 4th.

18. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Yeah, they're pretty blatant about it. When you watch them both back to back it becomes really obvious that the elevator fighter scene in Winter Soldier is a shot for shot remake of the same sequence in AtPM, with Cap in place of Bernstein. Admittedly it's less impressive when the former uses a shield instead of just throwing Woodward around, but eh, comic books.

BigAl6ft6, Rylo Ken and tom like this.
  19. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Did it? I'm pretty sure at the end of the movie Nick Fury and several others said they were going "off the net" to kill even more people. So the resolution to a film that argued for the necessity of civilian oversight of intelligence programs was that the heroic intelligence officers actually needed less oversight.

20. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    Pretty sure the message was that the government has too much of an agenda to do the required oversight.

21. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    CW came in with a weekend estimate of 181.7 (#5 best opening under AOU but above IM3). It's worldwide sits at 678.3

Disney also claimed the second slot with Jungle Book pulling in another 21.8. It stands at 284.9/776.1.

Disney also has the #7 slot with Zootopia's 2.6, putting it at 327.6/956.4.

BVS managed to pull in another 1 and hang onto the #10 slot, bringing its domestic total to 327.2, 865.4 worldwide.

22. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Disney repeated this weekend with Cap 3 in 1st & Jungle Book in 2nd. Money Monster performed above expectations with 15 in 3rd & The Darkness opened 4th with 5.1

Cap 3 pulled in 72.5, one of the top ten 2nd weekends of all time, with a drop similar to AOU. It's domestic sits at 295 and is on track for an estimated 430 domestic finish. It's global total stabs at 940.

As a result, the MCU's combined global total crossed the $10 billion mark, with CW currently 4th globally so far.

JB pulled in 17.7 to cross the 300 domestic mark- Disney's second to do so after Zooptopia (with CW soon to follow).

The Lobster also had a high per theater average to be the best opening for a specialty release this year so far: 4 screens averaging 47k.

23. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    The Lobster has a Chicago screening this week. Am trying to talk the wife into going.

24. Yoda's_Roomate

Yoda's_Roomate Chosen One star 5

Feb 8, 2000
    I think Civl War's drop is bigger than expected. Superhero movie fatigue maybe? We will see when X-Men opens up soon.

If its true it should not affect Doctor Strange, because it comes out in November. Then again, a lot of people don't even know who Doctor Strange is, so its box office could be something like Ant-Man's, which opened with 50-something million, right?

25. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

It's almost identical to Iron Man 3 which I don't think anyone minds.

It's passed Batman v. Superman's worldwide gross of 52 days in about a week. Again, I don't think anyone minds...