main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate The 2016 General Presidential Election

Discussion in 'Community' started by Point Given , Jul 28, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    So, also in other news, the alt-right is attempting to paint Hillary's later relationship with Robert Byrd as exactly the same as the current KKK leaders (and David Duke specifically) supporting Donald Trump.

And, for some reason, no one's pointing out the obvious: while Robert Byrd was emblematic of everything wrong with Dixiecrat politics from the 50s and 60s, he explicitly recanted everything about that period of his life. He's explicitly said he was wrong on filibustering and voting against the Civil Rights Act. He's said joining the KKK was "the worst mistake I ever made." By the time his last term in the Senate rolled around he was 100% from the NAACP on his voting record, and (because he was the Appropriations macher he was trying to steer massive amounts of money to the MLK Jr. monument and praising MLK).

2. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Isn't there footage of Byrd actually saying how much he regretted it?

Good luck trying to find similar statements from Duke... [face_laugh]

3. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

He spent almost all of his last years making sure people knew it! :p

4. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
  5. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Yes, that's literally what I've just been saying...

6. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    It's my job to provide the pictures.

Master_Rebado likes this.
  7. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    When was Byrd in the Klan? The 20s? And yeah, the Civil Rights Movement was in the 50s and 60s and many if not most Southern Democrats were opposed.

I'll be concerned when someone finds a racist statement that Byrd made in my lifetime.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  8. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

Oh, that's not a good bet. There are plenty. He was still salty and not entirely correct with his language, even after he'd changed. But he was legit attempting to do good with his last remaining years, which counts for a lot. :p (go look up "white <n-words>" from him)

9. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I don't know if it's clear to everyone, but that photo of Byrd in Klan gear is Photoshopped and he quit in the 1950s. He was enough of a right-wing bigoted old coot without us fabricating things.

10. Boba Nekhbet

Boba Nekhbet Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 30, 2014
    Harris County in Texas has a larger population than both Dakotas, Alaska, DC, Vermont, and Wyoming combined.

11. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    @realDonaldTrump:
    Dwayne Wade's cousin was just shot and killed walking her baby in Chicago. Just what I have been saying. African-Americans will VOTE TRUMP!

(He then deleted the tweet, only to put it back up again to correct the spelling [face_plain] )

12. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    Yep. Don Cheadle called Trump a "POS" and then later added he spelt "die in a grease fire" wrong. I don't think Trump's outreach is working as well as he thinks it is.

Also, CNN has reports on Trump's doctor with the Doctor saying he wrote the letter in about 5 minutes as he was in a rush. So this whole Hillary is ill thing might be backfiring on Trump as attention starts shifting more to his health.

13. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    Well, Trump's 120-character idiocy does correctly insinuate that African-Americans are marginalized, ignored, and mistreated by the establishment and Hillary Clinton is not going willingly use up political capital to change that. It would be easy enough to tactfully point out the disproportionate poverty, incarceration rates, violence are tied directly with historical and current institutional racism. That ties into Hillary Clinton evoking the legacy of a man-- her husband-- who gleefully fed the machine. Regarding Dwayne Wade's cousin, it would also be prudent to point out that gun control as proposed by Clinton and other Democrats would not stop Chicago's violence.

But instead of competent criticism, we get a old-man-child flailing and pandering because he barely gives half a **** about anything and Not Trump will sail right into the unimaginatively painted mansion. Sigh.

14. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    There's clearly no issue that Trump actually cares about. Literally the only thing he cares about is himself and what he thinks will help him. I can only imagine how giddy he was to hear about this woman's death. What an opportunity for him!

I really don't think someone could exist with a more despicable personality than Trump. I'm not used to his bs and I never will be, because the frequency of it doesn't make it any less disgusting.

The only silver lining is how repeatedly tone deaf his attempts at opportunism have been. It helps his base, but man he really doesn't understand how to get anyone but angry white people to like him.

Gerrymandering is without a doubt a massive issue, and a bigger one than term limits. But I still think unchecked lobbying edges it out. But both things should be incredibly illegal.

15. McLaren

McLaren Jedi Grand Master star 3

May 1, 2002
    The House was 244 R - 184 D. The bill passed with 237 R and 47 D voting yea on February 6, 1947.

The Senate was 51 R - 45 D. The bill passed with 45 R and 13 D voting yea on March 12, 1947. It was then proposed to the states on March 24, 1947.

It was ratified by the requisite number of states (36 of 48) on February 27, 1951. The following shows the alignment of state legislatures during that time:

Year - D - R - Split
    1946 - 17 - 25 - 4
    1948 - 19 - 16 - 11
    1950 - 19 - 21 - 6
    1952 - 16 - 26 - 4

The 22nd Amendment was introduced by the Republicans but, had to have bipartisan support not only in Congress but also the States to be ratified.

From a politician's point of view, term limits can be a good thing as it's impossible to take the reins if the old guy/gal never gets out of the saddle. Of course, as soon as they are elected, term limits become a horrible, terrible, no good idea.

16. Boba Nekhbet

Boba Nekhbet Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 30, 2014
    I went to check out the tweet and noticed that after the tweet Ghost quoted there was a standard "thoughts and prayers" tweet. Like his social media manager had to go in afterwards and add sympathy as an afterthought. Awful.

solojones likes this.
  17. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    "Hey Donald, you can't do that."

"Why not? African Americans WILL vote for me. That's what we're discussing here. The fact that I am right."

"Uh, no. What we're discussing here is standard protocol for a politician when someone dies. You offer thoughts and prayers to the family."

"I have to do that? Damn pansy-ass PC police in this country. No one wants it told like it is anymore. Except my supporters. They like it when I tell it like it is. And I'm telling it like it is--I am right."

"You need more supporters. The polls are supporting Clinton."

*throws large expensive object and smashes it into the wall* "Alright, send the damn thoughts and prayers tweet. Anything else?"

18. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001

Don't you remember the "white n-word" controversy? Sometime in the W Bush years. He got into quite a bit of trouble for that. I remember it clearly because it was a reminder that you don't always rid yourself of those sentiments even if you are more tolerant in actions.

19. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I don't, and I'll concede that point.

I still think the Trump campaign has no room to pursue any Clinton/Byrd friendship as a controversy when he has been endorsed by David Duke.

20. KissMeImARebel

KissMeImARebel Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    He was in the Klan during the 40s. He also was a part of the Southern Dems who opposed desegregation. But I concur with dp4m that Byrd was pretty vocal later in his career about how these were mistakes. He frequently stated that joining the KKK was the biggest mistake he ever made and he discouraged others from joining. IIRC someone once asked him what was his advice for young people who wanted to go into politics and he said "Don't join the KKK!" He could have tried to hide his past or gotten angry when it was brought up, but instead he took ownership of it. That doesn't mean that he doesn't deserve to be criticized for what wrongs he did -- and I have no problem with anyone who wants to completely condemn him for it either -- but it's dishonest to use his early life to smear someone who knew him later in his career after he had disavowed that past. If he were still alive today he would be out there in public fuming over this.

21. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002

This one seems appropriate. Trump really does act 6 years old and I do think his campaign must panic every time he tweets:

[​IMG]

22. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
  23. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    The Iraq War wasn't "reckless" in Wolfowitz's estimation. The man isn't exactly self-aware.

24. Vaderize03

Vaderize03 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 25, 1999
    What amuses me about Trump trying to link Clinton to Byrd is that he's using two African-American sisters who are supporting his campaign to do it. It reminds me of a rally last year when he had a middle-aged Hispanic woman stand up and say something along the lines of "I'm Hispanic, and I'm voting for Trump! It's okay, vote for Trump!!"

Does he really believe this is going to convince anyone, or that it's a viable way forward for him?

25. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    I don't know.

I have a black friend.

Let me ask him.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.