main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate The 2016 General Presidential Election

Discussion in 'Community' started by Point Given , Jul 28, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    While I'd agree the "30 years of bad experience" comment was a great line, a great soundbyte, I fail to see how anything about the Trump campaign could be mistaken for "caring".

Also, Jim Jefferies remains on point:

Sigh.

It's such a pity we don't have butcher's paper and crayons addons for these forums, to explain economics to the Trumptards in a fashion they'll [still not] understand.

2. ThisHurricane

ThisHurricane Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 9, 2015
    Ender Sai Clinton supporter being hostile?

3. jabberwalkie

jabberwalkie Jedi Master star 4

Dec 2, 2014
    He's Australian, so he's always hostile and wishes that the British Empire would reclaim the colonies.

:p

4. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001

Oh no, he does not. He is glad we broke away from the realm. The less chance of us to spoil the rest of the anglosphere.

5. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I don't think he's a Clinton supporter either.

But he is correct in that those jobs are not coming back. We do not live in an industrial society anymore, and globalization is a reality (and not a bad one).

Rew likes this.
  6. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014

my dad Is a retired FDA worker he hates Reagan because when he was President the GOV got a major pay cut.

7. jabberwalkie

jabberwalkie Jedi Master star 4

Dec 2, 2014
    Shane, but if we had stayed as part of the Empire we wouldn't have even had the chance. ;)

8. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001

Well, if we had reconciled during the Revolution, there is a high probability that we would have had some sort of self-governing dominion akin to the mother country, crown in parliament and all(like Canada in the late nineteenth century). So, tethered to the Empire by the English crown but not their Parliament.

9. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    I'm not really a Clinton supporter sorry. And thankfully, I'm not American.

It's just that basically, and I'm sorry but I am not interesting in couching my frustration in nice, cuddly terms - a number of very stupid and destructive things have been said by Trump and a number of people are so mind-numbingly stupid and destructive as to believe them repeat them. In this day and age of Google and the ability to research, believing that Trump - a businessman who makes his money through lawsuits after people point out his failures - could somehow bring back manufacturing is offensive in its idiocy.

The jobs left for a good reason. They didn't leave because of bad governance. They left because consumers, i.e. anyone who spends a ****ing dollar in the economy, want goods that are consistently better and cheaper over time. Innovation is supposed to decrease costs and increase efficiencies. As such, the component cost that can be best controlled is labour, which is why it's going to countries with cheaper wages. Those wages provide a good base to build the economy of those countries whilst being competitive in their outputs (see also: PPP).

American manufacturing is not a byword for quality. If you were paying $500 for a washing machine before, you'll pay $700-800 for it when it's made in Murica. And it won't be better, because the labour laws and trades union movement make these jobs protected, so it costs more and it's crap. Like buying any American car (and dear god you make some that should have the designers shot) over a Japanese or Korean equivalent.

Instead of accepting this reality, Trumptards look to the romantic past and assume that what Murica needs to be the best again is blue collar workers. If I were to slowclap at a pace relative to the merits of this thinking, it'd be one clap per 12,000,000 years.

America will never be "great" again. History is a great guideline to the cyclic nature of Empires. The American Empire is dying, and will never be resurrected. Instead of transitioning to the new world, sure, elect an orange idiot who's as stupid as you are, because it feels gratifying to know inmates can take control of an asylum.

Simply put, I don't know you, but I'm judging you as a bit ignorant simply because you support Trump. And I'm right to do it.

10. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    Rubelutionaries.

11. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    Can somebody with ties to the American government please make sure ES' last post gets hardcopied onto the brains of every likely Trump voter in America?
    Okay thanks.

12. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001

They would cry government conspiracy to implant NWO globalism into their brains.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  13. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/sep/27/donald-trump-blew-it-presidential-debate

In any case, as the GOP nominee put it, he’s just a lot better at this whole president thing than Hillary Clinton. At least, that’s what it sounded like. The following comes from the transcript, which captures the moment in all its unfathomable detail.
    “I have better judgment than she does,” Trump said. “There’s no question about that. I also have a much better temperament than she has, you know? I have a much better – she spent – let me tell you – she spent hundreds of millions of dollars on an advertising – you know, they get Madison Avenue into a room, they put names – oh, temperament, let’s go after – I think my strongest asset, maybe by far, is my temperament. I have a winning temperament. I know how to win. She does not have a...”
    This is the kind of stream of consciousness that does not reassure psychoanalysts, campaign strategists, or grammar teachers.
    “Whew, OK,” said Clinton, when Trump’s rambling came to an abrupt end.

Rew and CT-867-5309 like this.
  14. Blue_Jedi33

Blue_Jedi33 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 12, 2003
    How Australians attempt to make American friends on a forum :p

15. SuperWatto

Sep 19, 2000
    America fell when "Whew, okay" was considered a good retort in a Presidential debate.

16. NotSoScruffyLooking

NotSoScruffyLooking Jedi Master star 3

Mar 20, 2009
    America is still a leading economic and military power, so I would say it is still "great".

17. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012

To be fair, did that particular stretch of Trumps stream of consciousness nonsense babbling deserve anything more?

Darth Nerdling and Rew like this.
  18. SuperWatto

Sep 19, 2000
  19. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Yes, but its influence is dwindling and will not be recovered.

The simple facts are that America is no longer what it once was, i.e. America's peak in terms of prestige and influence are behind it.

America is now Britain in the period 1945-1948.

20. NotSoScruffyLooking

NotSoScruffyLooking Jedi Master star 3

Mar 20, 2009
    The world is moving towards a global economy so no single nation will be what it once was. It doesn't make America any less "great", it just makes it different. Much like Britain is still a respected nation, even though it is not the #1 empire.

21. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Yes but let's not pretend Trump's "Maek MURICA gr8 again" nonsense is about anything less than dominance. Hence the complaints about losing to China.

America needs to learn to transition away from unipolarity where it could do as it wants. Hence why Obama's even handed policy approaches internationally have been so critical, given the mouth-breathing idiocy of the last Republican administration.

22. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    So do you think is now America in the period 1945-1948?

23. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Many of us have no problem with Ender.

24. Sepra

Sepra Force Ghost star 5

Jan 14, 2016
    From my perspective as a woman in business, something about it harkened back to every meeting I've been in when some blowhard is taking up all the meeting time with nonsense and he finally stops so the rest of us can get on with it.

While I suppose it would be nice to have a "You're no Jack Kennedy" type moment, I thought it spoke to a target market she needs in a really solid way, but of course MMV.

25. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Was that meant to ask who I think is America in that period?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.