main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate The 2016 General Presidential Election

Discussion in 'Community' started by Point Given , Jul 28, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    Perhaps it's time for Hillary to issue an apology and retraction for her ill-considered comments about Trump's children at the second debate.

2. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    No.

That was in response to Basin's question.

Rylo Ken likes this.
  3. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    There is nothing wrong with small whatevers, you sexist pig!

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  4. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    I am convinced that response was a tactical maneuver. I said it before but that comment was a warning shot to Trump that family is off limits. Hillary steered clear of ever attacking Melania, Trump's multiple marriages, His sons' hunting and many of their comments. It's not like they didn't give her plenty of material. But she believes family is off limits and that was the message she not so subtly sent after Trump went and brought Bill's accusers to the second debate. She drew that line in the sand as a reminder.

Valairy Scot, solojones, EHT and 3 others like this.
  5. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    I agree with you, particularly where Chelsea is concerned. Bill Clinton on the other hand will always be a public figure. His sexual misconduct is baked into American history along with his achievements as governor and president.

Jedi Merkurian and Yodaminch like this.
  6. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
  7. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    Remember how for the last 8 years racism has made a "comeback" under the cover of criticizing the president? Same thing about to happen with sexism.

8. Vaderize03

Vaderize03 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 25, 1999
    Ugh, that's just nauseating.

I really hope the GOP loses the Senate, because it's going to take that kind of walloping to get the idiots out of the party.

Jedi Merkurian , EHT, Ghost and 2 others like this.
  9. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    Illinois is going to do its part. Duckworth's victory over Mark Kirk all but certain.

Ghost, Vaderize03 and heels1785 like this.
  10. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Cardinal Dolan was on the Today show this morning, where he revealed his interaction with the two candidates prior to the Al Smith Dinner last night, when he prayed with them both.

Mr. Trump reportedly told Mrs. Clinton: "You know, you are one tough and talented woman. This has been a good experience, as tough as it was."

Mrs. Clinton then told Mr. Trump: "And Donald, whatever happens, we need to work together afterwards."

He went on to describe the dinner as a bit awkward, but in the desolate hell hole of this election cycle, if he is telling the truth, this is a promising sign that some civility still exists.

Valairy Scot, Ghost, Rew and 3 others like this.
  11. Jedi_Kenobi32

Jedi_Kenobi32 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 24, 2005
    What did she say? I didn't really watch the second debate.

12. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

She complimented them...

Rylo Ken likes this.
  13. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015

14. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/clinton-probably-finished-off-trump-last-night/

MARGIN IN POST-DEBATE POLLS
    DEBATE WINNERYEAR1ST DEBATE2ND DEBATE3RD DEBATETOTAL
    Clinton (vs. Trump) 2016 +35 +23 +13 +71
    Obama (vs. McCain) 2008 +13 +24 +27 +64
    Clinton (vs. Bush) 1992 +14 +42 +0 +56
    Kerry (vs. Bush) 2004 +16 +2 +13 +31
    Romney (vs. Obama) 2012 +42 -7 -8 +27
    Bush (vs. Gore) 2000 -7 +13 -2 +4

Man, it's like being a smart, prepared woman makes people not take you as seriously as a man unless you actually look at the numbers...

15. Jedi_Kenobi32

Jul 24, 2005
    dp4m Oh I see.

Rylo Ken I see that your post that I quoted was being sarcastic. My "sarcasm on the internet" detector wasn't on. :p

So she complimented them. Good for her. And unlike Trump himself none of his children have gotten on my bad side with the exception of when Trump Jr. said that women who are harassed at work should just stay home back in 2013.

I respect Ivanka a lot too. I wish she was the one running on the GOP ticket instead of her father. Curse the fact that she is only 34 right now. And obviously it's not her fault that Trump made sleazy comments about her. Her speech during the Republican convention was the only thing I liked about it. Yes she praised/defended her father a lot but she also brought up things that I and many others care about like the gender wage gap.

16. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

They're basically all terrible people. The junior men are not only sport hunters who kill animals on safari for no reason, but also hold terrible views on many, many things similar to their father.

And Ivanka looks and sounds better than her father, but the problem with a campaign like this is everyone does a deep dive: her big thing is "maternity leave and women in the workplace"... and did not have a maternity leave plan at her own company, and employees reported having difficulty even using FMLA (which, y'know, Federal law)... plus she enables her father's behavior by providing cover during the election. I don't judge her for her father's behavior, like people do with Bill for Hillary, but I do judge her based on her own actions in her own life and responses to her father's behavior.

17. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    Ivanka could easily slip into politics if she really wanted. She could probably give De Blasio a formidable opponent in a mayoral race but would need to heavily distance herself from her father to do it. If it were Senate or House though, she might need to go outside of New York. I don't see her winning there.

18. Jedi_Kenobi32

Jul 24, 2005
    dp4m I agree. She should distant herself from her father. Or she should at least say that she doesn't condone Trump's comments about groping women.

And I honestly didn't know that about her company. I just liked the fact that she actually brought up the gender wage gap at a republican convention. Does her company still not have equal pay or was that a past issue there?

Of course she has no political experience either. So as Yodaminch mentioned it would be better for her to start in something local instead of jumping immediately into a presidential election.

As for the rest of his children I despise safari/sport hunting (I only support hunting for food and population control) and I certainly wouldn't support the Trump's other children in politics.

19. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
  20. Rew

Rew Chosen One star 5

Dec 22, 2008
    I've heard it said that, in her own way, Ivanka is actually worse than her father and brothers--because she fully supports and vouches for her father's campaign but does so with a sweet and gentle veneer. Part of the reason Trump is in such a freefall this election is that he can never extract his own foot from his mouth, he can't play the political game, spends time obsessing over perceived insults and cries about rigging. Ivanka would never do these things. She would make Donald's horrible platform palatable and make voting for such a platform even seem respectable.

At least that's one argument I've seen made. Personally, I wouldn't go that far. I honestly think most of Ivanka's support (and her general rapport with her father) is a survival mechanism. I mean, would you be as well-adjusted as she appears to be if your own father or mother had sexually objectified you since adolescence? That, and I'm pretty sure her father would ruin her if she ever stepped out of line (don't tell me he won't!). This doesn't excuse some poor business practices of hers--as highlighted by dp4m--but I think on the whole I sympathize with Ivanka... to an extent anyway.

Darth Nerdling and solojones like this.
  21. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Well, I've heard if you look in the mirror and say Ivanka's five times, a tangerine will appear.

22. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
  23. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
  24. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
    I thought he was going to grab her by the *****.
    Disappoint :(

CT-867-5309 and Ender Sai like this.
  25. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    I got my by mail ballot! Woot. Now I get to start the process of reading the 220 page election guide about all the many, many CA propositions this year. I'll have finished voting in approximately a week :p

Point Given and Rew like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.