main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate The 2016 General Presidential Election

Discussion in 'Community' started by Point Given , Jul 28, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    [​IMG]

2. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
  3. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003

I caught them on Dan Pfeiffer's feed, but the data he pulls from is here:

http://www.statisticbrain.com/voting-statistics/

Lots of interesting numbers there, actually. Highest voter turnout was in Minnesota - nearly 75%. Lowest was in Utah, just over 51%.

4. Darth Basin

Darth Basin Jedi Master star 5

Aug 15, 2015

I'm like Utah. I disliked both candidates.

5. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    Not hard to believe, neither of them are good candidates compare to what we've had before.

6. JediMaster_Jen

JediMaster_Jen Force Ghost star 4

Jun 3, 2002
    I think there's is enough opposition to Trump from the Congressional leadership that things won't be as easy to do as he thinks they will be.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  7. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    It's not just US, but the right wing is start to rise among the Western world, it's a bit scary if it goes wrong.

Ezio Skywalker likes this.
  8. KissMeImARebel

KissMeImARebel Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    Plus, Dems can filibuster.

9. JediMaster_Jen

JediMaster_Jen Force Ghost star 4

Jun 3, 2002
    Exactly. I don't believe the GOP holds a filibuster-proof majority.

10. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I'm tempted to make a thread called "What should the Democrats read aloud when filibustering?"

11. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    They'll be doing away with the filibuster, so I wouldn't count on that. Of course, someday the Democrats will have the Senate again, and then they too will be able to work without it.

12. Dagobahsystem

Dagobahsystem Chosen One star 10

Sep 25, 2015
    I'm still in shock. I guess fear, divisiveness and hatred trumps all. Still can't believe there are so many ignorant people in this country. And the millenials who support trump? What happened to you? How ******* stupid.

13. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Just for those curious, the respondent polls have breakdowns of second-choice of Johnson voters and Stein voters to be essentially the same:

25% Clinton
    15% Trump
    55% Not Vote

So Clinton would have netted 10% of Johnson/Stein voters which is really only enough to flip MI, and not anywhere else.

So, yes, this really is on nationalistic, racist, rural white folk and whichever minorities didn't believe that Donald Trump would do exactly what he said he would and voted for him in larger numbers than Mitt Romney.

Rew and Ezio Skywalker like this.
  14. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    also, ya know, democrats having a terrible, uninspiring candidate that depressed democratic turnout because Pragmatism

Bowen, Abadacus, Rew and 7 others like this.
  15. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Bernie Sanders has popped up on my Facebook feed (well, his staff. He's like 104, he surely can't use social media himself) with a message regarding The Orange One's ascent.

He congratulates Mr Trump and vows to work with him to end corruption and special interest and inequality.

He vows to resist Mr Trump in misogyny, xenophobia and homophobia.

Predictably, this has lead to the "if Bernie was the candidate, he would have defeated Trump" comments and memes.

This is idiotic thinking, but nicely emblematic of the problem that lead to Trump's rise in the first place.

Sanders, like Trump, is a populist. Yes, once scapegoats vulnerable people and one scapegoats bankers. The point is both tap into a nascent anger to suggest its elites that are at fault for current pain.

So the entire campaign would have been a cauldron of simmering anger between slightly left of centre, and firmly right wing.

Higher stakes.

Harsher rhetoric.

Greater violence?

In any event, America would be more divided as the rhetoric intensified the battle and pitched an us vs them mentality on both sides.

Against an establishment Republican, Sanders would have won and mostly because of his despicable support for gun laws. He's pro- that and they can't scaremonger on guns.

Against a populist Republican, a populist Democrat would have been poisonous. The election was a referendum on the established political history of modern America. It needed a candidate to stand for the status quo, and one to challenge it.

My feeling is either populist will, if they remain populist, bring the system down. Bernie would have been more of a mercy.

Don't fool yourselves into believing Sanders v Trump was a better option. That's the denial stage of grief at best, utter folly at worst.

16. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

Or not, as the case may be. You're welcome to your opinion. Bernie would have been roflstomped, and there wasn't anyone else except Lincoln Chafee!

17. Ezio Skywalker

Ezio Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2013

Interesting. Obviously my own findings (different from yours) are from preliminary data. Where did you obtain the updated information (since I'm too lazy to look it up anymore)?

18. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Or he could have assured the Rust Belt and connected with the electorate, riding the wave of popular anti-establishment feeling but with a positive, constructive outcome as an alternative to Trump's Hitlerism. We'll never know!

19. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    I doubt it, for reasons articulated above.

20. KissMeImARebel

KissMeImARebel Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I don't think it's that simple. Michael Moore called it: the working class who feel betrayed by Dems turned out for an eff you vote. As soon as I saw WI and MI going red I knew he had nailed it. These are blue states -- same with PA (people call it a swing state but it hasn't voted red since 1988).

21. Vaderize03

Vaderize03 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 25, 1999
    Would you give that a rest? The causes you believe in are about to get buried under conservative legislation and jurisprudence for the better part of the next 10-20 years. While gloating may fill an emotional need, it doesn't change the fact that the progressive movement has just been rendered completely powerless. Whatever the reason, wherever the blame goes, the important thing now is unity. We need a strategy, not recriminations.

Just a thought.

@RogueTen

22. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    We'll never now! because of reasons articulated in the Podesta emails

23. Dagobahsystem

Dagobahsystem Chosen One star 10

Sep 25, 2015
    So, incredibly ignorant people who are controlled by fear and hatred of the "other." Pathetic.

24. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    What evidence do you have of this? Clinton only really did well in areas that were already traditionally solidly Democratic. The relative Democratic "firewall" states where she struggled are the ones where Sanders performed strongly and had wide appeal. While Clinton was being involuntarily forced on us, part of the sale you guys tried to make was that she would bring a lot of extra enthusiasm or interest to the table, but the reality is that she lost even white women. So how couldn't another Democrat have managed the same performance? When African-American outreach sunk to the level of sending the Obamas out to beg votes as a personal favor, how couldn't they have made the same argument for any person on Earth? It would've been different if she had expanded her campaign beyond Not Trump, but that's never really what happened.

Setting that aside, however, your point is still deeply misleading. There are many others that were strongly considering Presidential runs, including Joe Biden and Andrew Cuomo. They all stayed out because Clinton was allowed to freeze out competitors for donor and institutional support for her Pragmatic and unbeatable campaign. Which turned out wonderfully.

Abadacus, Rew, Darth Nerdling and 3 others like this.
  25. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    I'll give you a Podesta email in a moment.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.