main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate The 2016 U.S. Presidential Election has begun

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ghost, May 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001

Win the presidency? I would wage heavily he doesn't even get the GOP nomination. I still think Walker or Bush nab it.

edit: Also nice to see Sanders gaining more serious media attention. What a dream debate it would be seeing him facing off against a GOP nominee.

Frankly, it might just be enough seeing him face off against Hillary if she'd ever agree to anything. She might have little choice if Sanders keeps gaining momentum.

2. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I meant the former. I just brainfarted.

3. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    Jeb Bush is not getting the Republican nomination. It's Scott Walker's to lose.

4. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    Yeah we've talked of this before. Barring a big stumble, I think Walker is the guy with the most across-the GOP-board appeal. But I'm hedging my certainty by picking a second one. :p

5. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    We don't need another Bush.

SateleNovelist11 likes this.
  6. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015

No, we certainly do not.

I'd say the same thing to him if I were in his face.

Abadacus likes this.
  7. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    I knew he was going to have some trouble when asked if the war in Iraq was the right thing to do and he stumbled all over the place.

8. Ellen Joan Sparling

Ellen Joan Sparling Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 12, 2013
    aren't there equal time laws? If NBC had kept his show, there might have been issues.

9. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004

His rambling incoherent mess of a "speech" probably just made it easier for them.

Juliet316 likes this.
  10. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
  11. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
  12. Bishman

Bishman Jedi Knight star 1

May 28, 2015
    Just when I felt like nothing could possibly bring me any joy on this rotten day, #AskBobby happens. I almost feel sorry for the dope who thought this would be a good idea.

Juliet316 likes this.
  13. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    The bleeding for Trump continues: Macy's has now dumped Trump.

Jedi Merkurian and Yodaminch like this.
  14. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    I honestly believe Trump is a Democrat plant, sent to destroy the GOP and give Hillary an easy path to the White House.

15. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    If that's the case, then he needs to slow down a bit. At this pace, he'll be out of the race by August.

16. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Somebody didn't give Bernie Sanders the memo that Hilary was supposed to have an easy path to the White House.;)

Abadacus likes this.
  17. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    I don't think Clinton expected a clear path. The Democratic Party needs a good primary battle, and this will be good for everyone. If Clinton was taking the approach she did in 2007-08, she would be in trouble. I don't think she's looking at the campaign that way now, unfortunately for Sanders. He's going to make it a good race, without question. She's just not going to be caught off guard this time.

18. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001

He's doing a bad job then as he's succeeded better at destroying his own brand than the GOP.

19. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    I'm not sure what way Clinton is treating it, though. The New York Times reports her e-mail disclosures were still significantly incomplete, even after the huge controversy it stirred. Putting aside everything else, and considering this even from a Machiavellian perspective, what is the point? This has been the single largest controversy of her campaign to date. Why would she do things that would further inflame it? Though I continue to believe there's no underlying criminality, this is the most strategically clumsy handling of the issue imaginable.

20. Fire_Ice_Death

Fire_Ice_Death Force Ghost star 7

Feb 15, 2001

Yeah, I wouldn't coronate her just yet. This has the feel of 2007 all over again where everyone was coronating her early and then Obama swept in and took things away from her. Now it's the old white guy that's doing it because...you know...he's actually speaking a language that people can get behind as opposed to Hillary's corporatist stances. I've never forgiven that harpy for her defense of the financial sector.

21. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    Various people may be coronating her, but unlike in 2007, she's not joining in. Also, Obama did not "sweep in." It was a hard fight, and Obama won because he and his strategists understood the importance of caucuses and other ways of picking up delegates. The latter part of the primary campaign belonged to Clinton, and she routed Obama multiple times, which in hindsight presaged much of the trouble he's gotten from the South and various rural areas.

Jedi Merkurian and Yodaminch like this.
  22. Vaderize03

Vaderize03 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 25, 1999
    I was watching the PBS News Hour this evening and listened to commentary on the just-completed term of the Supreme Court. Most of the discussion centered around whether or not the court was going to swing permanently to the left; the consensus was not only "no", but that we would be sitting here next year talking about just far to the right the Court swung in the (upcoming) term. With cases on voting rights, abortion, affirmative action, and union dues, the general opinion was that Roberts had spent most of this past term setting the legal foundation for making sweeping conservative changes in the coming year.

My question here is: will this help the Dems in the Presidential contest? If the Court ends affirmative action, upholds severe restrictions on abortion, further weakens unions, and increases powers of the states to weaken "one-man, one-vote" (which is what the upcoming case is purported to address), will that galvanize liberal voters and left-leaning independents to get out to the polls?

It certainly gives the Dems a series of strong talking points, not to mention the chance to point out just how important having a Democrat appoint the next 4-8 years of judges will be.

Thoughts?

Peace,

V-03

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  23. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    Wow! WOW! Those Hillary emails…..wow! What the hell was she thinking? Do you realize the controversy this will cause and the problem for her campaign?

Seriously, if she can't accept that Santa isn't real, then her campaign is doomed……DOOMED!

24. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Fine. Do you want to look at it the other way?

Why on earth are you cheerleading for someone to dodge public disclosure rules? Especially one that everyone else in the government, from the President on down was able to comply with. Yet she thought herself so special that she merited a magical exemption? The explanation she offered in public was at best lazy, as everyone else had to deal with the inconvenience of carrying multiple devices at once. It is at worst deeply insincere. All the less so for the fact that, afterwards, she's still not been forthright about what she did, and has in fact seemed resentful of anyone daring to question her.

In what world is this a good leadership quality? If she was half as firm on offering a position about the TPP as she was about flouting public disclosure rules, we would should have expected her to have rewritten the whole thing and had her counter-proposal accepted by all parties. How in the world did you all become wedded to something so awful?

25. Beezer

Beezer Jedi Master star 4

Jul 5, 2013
    Of course she did. She expected a clear path this time just like she did 8 years ago. However, 8 years ago she discovered it is tough to get people excited over an uncharismatic bore. And just like 8 years ago, the democrats are desperate to embrace anyone but her. That is why you see such a strong "Draft Elizabeth Warren" movement, and also Sanders making a stronger-than-expected showing.
    4 years ago, the left wanted us all to believe that Mitt Romney not releasing his tax returns was the end of the world.

Now their candidate appears to have violated various laws and national security matters, and they want people to think there's nothing to see here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.