main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate The 2016 U.S. Presidential Election has begun

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ghost, May 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Yep. And my in-laws (also Italian, but without exclamation points) immigrated legally but were treated as though they were illegal, which is what is now happening to many Latino immigrants just based on their ethnicity. And as much as the Trump crowd claims their opposition is only to "illegals"...any Latino or other immigrant who does not come out in full opposition to "illegals" is considered "one of them."

2. Vaderize03

Vaderize03 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 25, 1999
    This post doesn't make sense. I at no time accused you of lying. dp4m stated exactly what my position was, which is that I don't think anything short of Hillary turning into Bernie could get you to support her. in fact, I said that myself several pages back. You probably don't remember it (and that's okay), but I'm mystified as to why a) you're taking this as a personal attack and b) you're so very angry.

If I want to call you a liar, I'll call you a liar. I don't think you are, though. I think you're just bitter and mad. Not at me, or Hillary, or the Democrats as a whole, but rather at a society which you strongly believe can do much, much better and is instead choosing to drown itself in corruption, hopelessness, oligarchy, crony capitalism, and denialism. I have said numerous times that we're on the same side, we just believe differently in how to get there. Your response has been to hurl accusations, question my sincerely, repeatedly insult me, and plain out try to provoke me into fighting you.

But I won't. Because I'm not angry. Because I'm okay if Hillary were to implode and Bernie become the nominee. Because I sincerely believe that if we can't see that (and I'm quoting the Usurper here) "there is far more which unites us than divides us", then the goals which we are fighting for will be set back for many years. That's it. That's all there is to it. It has nothing to do with trying to "force you" to vote for Hillary, or my attempting to sell you something. All I've done is relay my opinion and beliefs about what I think will happen this fall if Clinton and Sanders supporters are unable to unite. Nobody's going to get 100% of what they want, but at the end of the day, compromise between Democrats is preferable by far to unchallenged rule by Republicans.

And that's what we're going to get if the Democrats lose the White House and the Senate fails to flip. Not scare-mongering, not strong-arming, just a simple fact. Inconvenient, yes, but also the truth.

Peace,

V-03

3. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    "Illegal" immigration exists only because of xenophobia. There's really no other reason. If you look at the history of immigration restrictions in the United States, they go from nonexistent until the late 19th century to insanely racist until the 1960's to less racist today. But at least we can thank racist immigration laws for our strong birthright citizenship tradition, because the plaintiff in the case was a Chinese-American man born in San Francisco who was denied re-entry after travelling abroad.

4. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    You stated you don't believe what I am saying about my own actions and thoughts. That's saying that I'm lying. Holy **** what is wrong with you. This is some next level equivocation. You stated "I don't believe what you are saying." I you don't believe what I am saying about what I will do, then you are saying I'm lying. It's pretty simple. It's pretty egregious of you to sit and talk about how Clinton and Sanders supporters need to unite after all that.

There's going to be no reconciliation because of you, Vaderize.

5. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014

again what makes you think all Hispanic people are here Illegally? and do you think it is OK for Trump and his security force to go door to door and check who is American and who isn't doesn't that sound like Nazi Germany to you? just a little? I know plenty of legal Hispanics. how about we legalize marijuana then if you can buy the stuff legally in a super market why would illegals carry it across the border ergo less illegal immigrants in this country!

6. Leoluca Randisi

Jun 24, 2014

very true Italians and Sicilians in the south were treated like minorities even hanged in many cases, my family from Sicily have dark skin and my dad talks about this often we don't consider us to be white in my family!

thank you so much for bringing this up!!!!!!!!!

is this !!! a lot of exclamation points or does it have to be more then three to be excessive:p

7. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    Beezer looks like this is the world you think you live in.

8. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
  9. Vaderize03

Oct 25, 1999
    Yep. I'm going to be single-handedly responsible for the failure of the Democratic Party to unite this fall. You hit the nail on the head with that one.

And you think there's something wrong with me??

I'm trying really, really hard not to put you on ignore. But I'm not going to try for much longer.

10. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

I did with Hillary's brilliant "Woman Card" fundraising effort.

Of course, Gawker Media is drinking the finest vintage of 2016 Sour Grapes Wine: http://gawker.com/i-cant-deal-with-this-1773883513

But I hadn't heard Liz Warren weigh in yet, so thank ye.

11. Leoluca Randisi

Jun 24, 2014
    my dad tells me that if you look it up the Mexican Migration to the USA is actually non existent that tons of Mexicans are actually going back to Mexico and they are not coming in droves. he read this in the Washington Post. also guess what American President has deported the most Illegals?

Barack Obama...

12. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001

Well obviously because something something something Mexican!!!!!* something something.

*I waited for the exclamation overuse since Point Given erased my brilliant earlier post. :p

13. Leoluca Randisi

Jun 24, 2014

I have to have my calling card !:p

14. LostOnHoth

LostOnHoth Chosen One star 5

Feb 15, 2000
  15. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Obama's crushing all of the candidates at the Correspondent's Dinner it appears... :p

16. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001

Well, he's the president and they're not. I'm sure he doesn't mind reinforcing that point.

Vaderize03 likes this.
  17. Leoluca Randisi

Jun 24, 2014

It Wouldn't be the same around here if I didn't !:p

18. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    That response displays a law of the conservation of exclamation right before our eyes.

Leoluca Randisi likes this.
  19. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    For Wocky, with love.

[​IMG]

From his Correspondents' Dinner routine.

20. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    On a somewhat (but not entirely) different note, is it just me or has H.W.'s old but still-accurate description of supply-side economics as "voodoo economics" seen a marked uptick in usage over the past year or two? I've seen it referenced a number of times over that period, after seemingly not having seen it around much for awhile.

21. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    Way to satelenovelist your way out of this.

22. Vaderize03

Oct 25, 1999
    Lol.

Seriously, though, idealogical purity is fine, but it rarely wins national elections. Which has kinda been my point all along.

Violent Violet Menace likes this.
  23. Leoluca Randisi

Jun 24, 2014
    I love the Quote, If I could vote for Obama for a Third Term I would, I voted for him the last two Elections and I am proud of my choice I think he did a really good Job If Only the Republicans did not fight him on everything He wanted to do may be he could have gotten more done...

24. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
  25. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I wonder if Cruz picked Fiorina in order to keep Trump from doing the same.

I can see both of them interested in playing the "I'm not sexist, I've got a woman running mate!" card.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.