main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate The 2016 U.S. Presidential Election has begun

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ghost, May 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. grd4

grd4 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 11, 2013
    dp4m: Oh, I don't buy the conceit that progressives constitute any "far-left", even in modern America. The descriptive is just a smear employed by the hacks in the corporate media.

The truth is, the majority of Americans, while moderate/conservative on a number of social issues, are progressive on economics. They support universal health care, a sharp increase in the minimum wage, and increased taxation on the wealthy. (And if Obama had exploited this in the honeymoon phase of his presidency, particularly by allowing his Justice Dept. to prosecute the gangsters on Wall Street, he would have found himself as popular as FDR. Evidently, the schmuck was never intending to be a transformative president.)

2. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    Obama passed a massive recovery act during his initial time in office. That stood in the way of many things, as Republicans believed he had already done too much.

Also, Obama was always going to be a relatively centrist Democratic president. Surely you understood that going in, right?

Darth Nerdling likes this.
  3. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001

Oh Trump would bring outreach to the world…at the tip of a bomb.

Vietnam and Cuba are both successes for the president pivoting away from previous stances.

4. Vaderize03

Vaderize03 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 25, 1999
    This is a substantive and well-thought out post.

Thank you.

Rylo Ken likes this.
  5. grd4

grd4 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 11, 2013
    KnightWriter: Yes, I was painfully aware that Obama was very much a New Democrat (one only needed to look at his advisors and financiers in the run-up)--which is why I didn't vote for him. However, there was a brief time in '08-09 when I was curious whether he'd seize a historical opportunity--one that presidents are usually afforded once, if they're lucky--and become a great leader. Sadly, he chose to follow the path of Carter and Clinton, applying band-aids to our gaping wounds. Such a waste.

6. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Obama did a lot in his first year in office. He should have done more, but he did do a lot.

Including raising the minimum wage (which used to be $5) and passing the Lily Ledbetter Equal Pay Act. (And if the Lily Ledbetter Act wasn't really equal pay for equal work, then what law are they trying to pass now? One criticism/question I have of that current push in the Democratic Party).

And maybe a majority of Americans want universal healthcare. But they also want themselves to pay lower taxes, or at least not a tax raise... but single-payer basically requires higher taxes on the middle class too.

Also, when Barack Obama did diverge from Hillary Clinton on the issues in 2008, he was to her right (except on Iraq) and one of his own campaign slogans was a direct rejection of John Edwards' campaign theme of income inequality and "two America's". Edwards was the most progressive of the 3 "mainstream" politicians in the 2008 primary. Then Hillary. Then Obama.
    (There were also Gravel and Kucinich, but they had as much popularity as Senator Dodd.)

Obama wanted to be a transformative President. But never in the same way that Bernie Sanders is saying he wants to be. He wanted to return to pragmatism (instead of Bush's ideological crusades), and he wanted the Democrats to become the big-tent party, and win the majority of moderates who were more likely to support the GOP before or be almost evenly-split. Obama even campaigned on bringing evangelicals into the Democratic Party back then. It was part of his appeal, he said he could appeal to moderates and the right, while Hillary and Edwards were too hated by them.

And if anyone learned anything from the Obama years, it's that you need a willing Congress to get almost anything substantial done on domestic policy. What has stopped Obama from pursuing more progressive legislation for the last 6-7 years will definitely be there to block Sanders.

But despite all that, like I wrote in another thread a few months ago, Obama did accomplish a lot:

Like I just said above, it's not because of his advisors/financers, it's what he actually campaigned on.

And he did seize on plenty of historical opportunities. And he has been a great leader. Maybe not as far as you'd like, but don't take President Obama's accomplishments for granted. Too many people do. These things weren't inevitable. And they still aren't secure if a GOP President comes in.

7. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
  8. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    "So what?" says Sanders, on if his supporters make the convention "messy"

https://www.yahoo.com/news/sanders-democratic-convention-could-messy-230537903--election.html
    'Open the doors, let chaos reign' is supposed to actually persuade the Dem establishment into doing it?

Does he really wonder why the same people aren't supporting him?

He would have been so horrible working with Congress if he did become President, even a Democratic-majority Congress.

I understand the need for debate... but the main debate was the primaries. Hillary got millions of more votes. The people have spoken.

Darth Nerdling likes this.
  9. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    Yeah all twelve of them.

Michael Briggs, a spokesman for the Sanders campaign, called the draft plan “totally irrelevant.”
    “We are focused on winning the Democratic nomination,” Mr. Briggs said in an email. “This document is something that neither the senator nor anyone he works with has seen. We have no idea who wrote it. We could care less about the document.”

Sounds like he still has some Sander's faithful and volunteers at odds.

10. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Also, bad grammar by the spokesman. They could care less? :p

Violent Violet Menace likes this.
  11. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    It's almost as if I didn't post....

12. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Ted Cruz basically releases his first 2020 TV ad...

"To Be Continued"

(it also includes the guy he fired for no reason, lol)

13. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    God the ego on that ****.

Ghost and anakinfansince1983 like this.
  14. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001

Oh that happens all the time. He does care then! He cares! :p

Ghost, what a bunch of windbaggery from Cruz. He needs to go away.

Ghost likes this.
  15. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    dp4m, I just watched some of a Hillary speech to some union.

She rallied against outsourcing.

What. Why.

16. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011
    She is a politician making a speech to a union. She didn't want to get booed.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  17. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    I get that.

It is still unacceptable.

18. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011
    Congratulations Ender you have discovered that Hillary is dishonest and will do anything to get some votes.

10 Points to you old man.

This is why I don't like her.

Violent Violet Menace likes this.
  19. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    The hilarious part of that post is that Ender seemed to expect the Usurper would either A) do the right thing or B) have genuine beliefs to stand up for in the first place.

20. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

Well, that's normal. I'm against outsourcing willy-nilly too. I'm also for free trade. It's one thing to say "I'd prefer these jobs not go away if they don't have to" and "Those jobs that went away, I'll bring them back!"

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  21. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I'm fine with outsourcing under circumstances such as "We want customer service phone lines and websites maintained 24/7 and it's easier to find someone on the other side of the world to work when the sun is up than it is to find an American to work at 2 am."

I'm against it under circumstances such as "I don't WANNA pay an American eight dollars an hour! I don't WANNA pay American corporate taxes!"

22. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

Stephen Colbert reads the new Dr. Seuss book "Run, Ralph, Run..."

23. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    Sanders is requesting a recanvassing of the KY vote.

24. AstroDroid88

AstroDroid88 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2016
    Disagree, Cruz should stick around. He's one of the few good senators that the GOP has. I have no regrets from supporting his campaign. That was a great video. Nice tribute :)

25. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.