main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate The 2016 U.S. Presidential Election has begun

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ghost, May 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    MSNBC said they are going to stop with the overtly liberal editorial stuff and just report news. Yet last i heard Maddow was their highest rated show. Like Liberal Radio the liberal crowd already have it down and so feel no need to listen or tune it. The right wing needs to be preached at constantly.

2. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004

Sure, or they might start thinking. God forbid that should happen. :p

3. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    I think the successful model is a mix of both - hard news during the day with the NBC News stable of journalists - Chuck Todd, Andrea Mitchell, Craig Melvin - leading up to a Nightly News program with Brian Williams at 6 PM (just like FOX has with Baier) that signals the end of the news day, and the beginning of the opinion shows.

Matthews at 7, Olbermann at 8, Maddow at 9, and I wish they'd bring Kornacke off of weekends and put him in the Lawrence O'Donnell spot. He's much better at facilitating debate than either Chris Hayes or Lawrence. I think Al Sharpton should be kept on the network for special programming.

That's what I'd do if I were running the show.

Violent Violet Menace likes this.
  4. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    I'd shut it down. No one watches. Seriously, their audience is in the hundreds of thousands. It's awful. Let the audience that is split now between CNN and MSNBC congregate around CNN, which has more credibility than MSNBC does.

5. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    CNN is awful too, though. Except Fareed Zakaria GPS. I like that show.

6. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
  7. Vaderize03

Vaderize03 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 25, 1999
    Anyone think Biden is going to jump in?

Starting to hear rumors of an Obama-backed announcement next week.

Could he rise, and challenge Hillary? I wouldn't call him 'underestimated', but I also don't think he's a total flail, either.

Peace,

V-03

8. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    Haven't heard anything about that. But then again Trump's taking all the oxygen from the room, so to speak at the moment.

9. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    There is certainly room for Joe Biden in this race, I would love to see him jump in.

10. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    Please don't do it, Joe.

11. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Speaking of jumping in, former Virginia Governor Jim Gilmore has filed to become the 17th GOP Candidate in the race for the GOP nomination.

12. jabberwalkie

jabberwalkie Jedi Master star 4

Dec 2, 2014
    If he does jump in, I wonder how much that will split the vote in the primaries between him and Hillary.

13. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
  14. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001

Jim Gilmore jumped in today. The ripple it caused did not disturb the fauna next to him in the pond.

Jedi Merkurian and Vaderize03 like this.
  15. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Yeah, but that's because the GOP field is so bloated at this point and Gilmore's been out of the political spotlight since 2008 (the last time he tried a Presidential run). Not to mention Trump's taking all the screentime away from any and all GOP candidates (unless they say something absurd and offensive like Huckabee).

Biden's still very much relavant to the Democratic party (and the national political field as a whole), and despite there being others, at this point the race on the Democratic side is pretty much between Hilary and Bernie. Biden running would have an immediate impact on the race on the Democratic side.

16. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    Who? :p

KnightWriter likes this.
  17. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    My reaction to Gilmore is something akin to this: (profanity warning)

[​IMG]

18. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    [face_laugh]

God Lucas was right! It's all cat videos!

And I don't care…funny as hell.

Juliet316 likes this.
  19. Violent Violet Menace

Aug 11, 2004
    Maybe my not really following your domestic politics and being distanced from it all as a foreigner makes my assessment a bit flawed, but I don't foresee Biden generating much excitement.

I don't know; Sanders is a fresh voice, apart from the establishment. Hillary has the novelty of being the first woman president if elected, and seems to be the one with the most momentum behind her at the moment. She also seems to be positioning herself as the champion of minorities and progressive domestic causes going forward. Biden doesn't stand out to me in any way, but maybe that will change.

20. Violent Violet Menace

Aug 11, 2004
    I lost my train of thought as I was writing the previous post. Bottom line, I feel like what sets apart Sanders is that he's an actual progressive, and the only thing Clinton has going for her is that she would be the first female president, whereas Biden has none of these, so he has nothing. He's business as usual, which is not exciting enough to stand out.

21. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

Except that Sanders is totally and completely awful on gun control. Like, part of the worst gun legislation the country has ever seen.

So he doesn't have all of the progressive positions locked up.

However, interestingly, VT is high on gun ownership and the lowest death rates (both in total and per capita) in the country.

22. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    A couple things make him stand out. First off, he would a credible continuation of the Obama legacy. Clinton's behavior makes her seem pretty roundly insincere about all her present positions, besides the fact that she was dramatically more conservative about them in her last campaign and during her Senate tenure. Having campaigned so sparsely and cautiously, its not even clear what she represents at all, aside from a promotion for Hillary Clinton. In that void, we can only sort of fill in the fact that she has experience and has the confidence of the establishment. Biden already has both of those, and in terms of the former, is actually more impressive.

Where does this leave Clinton? She seems to be odd person out, in my eyes.

23. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    Culture, culture, culture. [face_hypnotized]

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  24. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    [​IMG]

I wish this.

25. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    Too Northeastern. Bernie should pick someone from the West or battleground states.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.