main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate The 2016 U.S. Presidential Election has begun

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ghost, May 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    I've said this a thousand times, but Biden does not have what it takes to run for the presidency. He tried it twice, and both times were resounding failures. Richard Ben Cramer amply documented it in 1992 with "What It Takes," and we have more recent media for 2008.

Superb vice-president, however.

2. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Also, SJ's life-long Republican father would like Biden better because... he's massively to the Right of both President Obama, and moreso Hillary Clinton. :p

3. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    P. S. regarding Carter getting out on the campaign trail... Man, I'm not sure that's a good selling point to a lot of people who know the history of politics or governance in the US.

Jimmy Carter is one of the best people to ever be President... But arguably one of the worst at actually being President. He's right up there with John Quincy Adams, a poor President who later became a senator and fought doggedly for abolition in that role. Carter has wonderful strengths as a man, but not great credentials as a President in the estimation of most historians and analysts.

Just my $0.02 on that.

4. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Wocky, the center point of the evening tonight (other than Bill Clinton) was the "Mothers of the Movement" - Eric Garner, Trayvon Martin, Sandra Bland, Jordan Davis, and other African American mothers. Standing ovation.

I understand what you're trying to say, but it is hard to make the claim that tonight/this Convention has marginalized or slighted African-Americans, or shown a lack of appreciation for their support of HRC. Nearly all of the visible leaders of the convention are African American, and the diversity has been remarkable across the many speakers.

Edit - there was also the "Undercover Hillary" taking down a segregated school in Arkansas story, which was kickass. One of the highlights of the speech.

5. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Honestly, he doesn't know that much about Biden's policies. He just respects Biden as a human. Especially after that fantastic interview with Stephen Colbert (who is so clearly a Biden supporter himself he barely tries to hide it).

KW, I think this would have been a much different campaign for Biden. Because those other times he hadn't just had the experience of being VP for eight years. But the poor man just can't get a break in terms of personal tragedies in his life.

dp4m likes this.
  6. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

He's almost certainly going to be confined to the South, and talk about spirituality and Hillary's innate goodness vs. Trump's inherent badness; it's what he's best on, talking about decency and good works over hatred and bigotry.

Trump's even still only up 2 in GA of all places...

And he haaaaaaaaaaaaates Donald Trump.

7. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001

Carter was better than some think, and we can think Reagan's people (not just his administration, but after he left office) for tarring Carter, partly to elevate themselves. It caught on among others, and so that's part of why he has the standing he does. If the rescue operation had succeeded in 1980, he may well have been re-elected. His main problem was that he was a micromanager as president, which is something Clinton will have to be careful of if she's in office. He also had a poor relationship with Congress, despite having Democratic majorities (something that Clinton would be unlikely to share as a problem).

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  8. Jedi Dragon D

Jedi Dragon D Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2013
    Day 2 Media Report -

CNN - ''You nominated the real one'"
    MSNBC - Hillary makes history, clinches nomination
    ABC - Hillary Is 'Best Darn Change-Maker,' Bill Clinton Tells DNC
    NBC - Bill Clinton Testifies to 'Real' Hillary's Life of Achievements
    CBS - a live video now, but on the right side - Hillary's long march to the Democratic nomination
    PBS - How Hillary Clinton emerged more resilient after turbulent White House years
    FOX News - BILL MAKES HIS CASE TO DEMS Clinton says his wife is 'best darn change-maker' he's ever known

Washington Post - Clinton captures historic nomination

NY Times - Clinton Gets Nomination in Historic Vote

NY Daily News - 'PATH OUT OF THE DARKNESS': Moms of Eric Garner, Trayvon Martin, other 'Mothers of the Movement' tell DNC, 'Hillary Clinton isn't afraid to say that black lives matter'

LA Times - Bill Clinton offers lavish testimonial for Hillary Clinton after her historic nomination

USA Today - Bill Clinton makes a special case to convention: For his wife

Wall Street Journal - Clinton Is First Woman to Win Major Party Nomination

Chicago Sun Times - Dems nominate Hillary - 'best darn change-maker' Bill ever met

Denver Post -

9. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Supposedly, President Clinton's speech was only tangentially related to what was on the teleprompters and he ended up ad-libbing a majority of it. That's... really, really impressive. Wow...

10. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Erick Erickson (Red State, conservative blogger) is now tweeting a defense of the Clintons

And maybe it's because I'm re-reading the Harry Potter book series right now, but the way he described young Hillary kept reminding me of Hermione Granger :p

Here's a picture I'll always find hilarious, of what they once looked like. Damn millennials! :p
    [​IMG]

Vaderize03, Pensivia, Rew and 3 others like this.
  11. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Rogue_Ten, see Ghost's post for how you make more terrible pop culture references that, in effect, make us all worse off.

12. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    I'm absolutely not saying it doesn't count. I'm saying it doesn't have anything to do with a present day agenda, which was otherwise supposed to be important to her 2016 Presidential campaign. Maybe an analogy would help illustrate things.

Female empowerment and gender equality has also been a big part of the Clinton campaign in 2016. What if, in his whole speech, his only present day mention of those aspects was "and to all the women out there concerned about inequality, please remember the terrible suffering of University of Virginia fraternities when they had to face national ridicule for a false rape accusation?"

Do you understand how someone might feel a little bit let down?

13. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
  14. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Eh, he wasn't that popular during his Presidency either. Hence losing pretty big. And you yourself just listed some of the reasons he wasn't effective.

Still, a great guy. And he may well be able to appeal to religious southerners. I can say that the religious aspect is a big reason my parents for instance don't like Trump. Many religious people don't respond well to an uncouth person who's been married three times. And they sure as hell didn't like Trump suggesting we ban people from entry to the US based on their religion. You could see that in the response of people like Lindsay Graham for instance.

15. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

So, by this measure, Bernie Sanders is the worst-performing candidate of any party for dealing with minority issues -- since he hasn't done anything for civil rights since that one picture of him more than 40 years ago? And he intentionally shipped nuclear waste to poor brown people?

I mean, it's a ridiculous assertion, but perfectly accurate under your guidelines.

Ender Sai and Darth Nerdling like this.
  16. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    A couple points:

1. You literally cheered on Elijah Cummings when he gave his "I MET HILLARY CLINTON" speech belittling Bernie Sanders for going to jail as the University of Chicago CORE Preisdent. So yes, this actually is a standard you applied to him before.

2. I expressly said I was not criticizing her past activity, but expressing disappointment in the lack of present day emphasis. They are two separate things.

3. Actually, Bernie's speech last night did talk about fighting for criminal justice reform in the present. He dedicated a whole paragraph to the topic.

17. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    Not that it's relevant to anything, but how many people realize that Carter was born before MLK? Just goes to show that even now, there are people still around from those years.

18. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    You're not a mosaic

Yeah I didn't get the significance of the male presidents and glass breaking until my friend explained it to me. Still a bit awkward, but now it makes sense.

Ender Sai and dp4m like this.
  19. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

And Hillary and the DNC had an entire section today with the Mothers of the Movement. I mean, this is chopped liver to you?

(also, it was John Lewis who said this about Sanders, not Cummings. And I believe I was arguing the point that Hillary Clinton had done much more for minorities, and especially African-Americans, over the course of her career because Bernie's been representing a predominantly white state for 30+ years which people said was false because Bernie Sanders was.the true racial messiah...)

20. slidewhistle

slidewhistle Jedi Knight star 3

Jul 24, 2015
    MLK marched with Bernie

21. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    As far as I know, dp4m is the only mosaic on these boards

22. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    I want to hear what the candidate and her closest surrogates intend to do about these issues as a matter of public policy. Is that an unreasonable request now?

I guess African-Americans should just shut up and be happy with whatever we're given.

23. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

That's moshiach, son!

Rogue_Ten likes this.
  24. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
  25. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Yes. I was mocking Wocky and bad metaphors.

Did you need me to explain satire?

DarthTunick likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.