main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate The 2016 U.S. Presidential Election has begun

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ghost, May 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

Just one caution -- PA is one of the very, very few states where two things are happening:

1) Rural areas are growing more than urban areas (which I am defining as "not Philly and suburb, or not Pittsburgh or suburbs"), and
    2) The rural areas are swinging more red.

I still think the analysis is correct: win Philly + suburbs at any appreciable margin and you win the state. But it's worth noting why PA is so much more hotly contested than thought.

Darth Nerdling and Vaderize03 like this.
  2. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    YES :(

Ghost likes this.
  3. darth-calvin

darth-calvin Jedi Grand Master star 2

Dec 10, 2002
    Bless you for coming back, JRod. Now the Sanders and Clinton supporters can quit beating up each other and focus on you again! ;)

It is a real service you do for the senate, my friend.

4. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    If not treason, that's pretty close.

5. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    Russia clearly has significant financial investments in Trump. Trump keeps saying that he doesn't have business in Russia, but that's not what people are asking and concerned about. He keeps dodging those questions, and so it's clear that there's a problem there.

It's a bit ironic that the party that was rabidly against all things Russian for decades may be about to get a man with deep ties with Russia elected as president.

6. J-Rod

J-Rod Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 28, 2004
    Who knows? I'm not versed in the best methods for uncovering terror plots.
    LOL! Right?!

Well I'm better with whatever he has going in Russia than Hillary selling them our uranium. Depends on what the details are, tho.

darth-calvin likes this.
  7. darth-calvin

darth-calvin Jedi Grand Master star 2

Dec 10, 2002
    You are a martyr for the liberal cause [face_rofl]

J-Rod likes this.
  8. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Profiling every citizen of an entire country or several entire countries is not the way to do it, and it does not take an "expert" to understand that.

And "some countries are bad" is an ethnocentric statement. Some people are bad, but their nationality is not why.

9. Game3525

Game3525 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 25, 2008

That and I suspect what Mark Cuban is saying is right and that Trump is likely not as rich as he claims.

Jedi Merkurian and Juliet316 like this.
  10. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    I very much agree with this, and I should have said something about it. That's my error and omission.

I'll use this to connect to something Wocky said. I think HRC's personality and way of interacting with the world doesn't lend itself to easy understanding, at least the way it does for her husband. She is definitely charismatic-- one need only look at Scott Walker to see someone completely lacking in it. Rather, HRC is what her husband said she is, which is a doer of things, She's down in the details, an organizer and an achiever. I think women in politics who are like this have it a lot harder than men, who can be seen the same way, but in a much more positive light. I think a lot of men react to this with dismay, feeling like HRC is all business, instead of being the way they perceive a woman should be (still, in 2016). There isn't a lot of overt charm in Hillary, which is completely okay. It's just somewhat problematic for her (and others) in politics.

By a great many accounts over the years, she is very well thought of on a personal level from those who have known and worked with her. I think she's more reserved and guarded than many, both because she's naturally that way, and also from harsh experience. I get that the bunker mentality is a problem, and it would be better politically if she opened up some. But, it's hard to discredit the sense that it's needed. I find her resilience to be remarkable, even as countless people have tried to bring her down, over mistakes both real and imagined.

Also, I think her best strengths fly under the radar of most people, particularly a lot of men. People think she's not a very good politician, and they're wrong. She's a great politician, and you have to be to get to the point she's at right now. It's just that her best attributes are not the kind most people associate with politicians.

11. J-Rod

Jul 28, 2004
    Well from what I understand EL AL disagrees with you about profiling. And they have a great track record.

And while every country has good people, you have to know that some countries are bad. Some have earned extra scrutiny.

12. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    I believe that what the Israelis do is psych profile, rather than ethnic profile. Their personnel are trained to look for behavioral cues, rather than ethnic appearance.

13. STARBOB

STARBOB Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 11, 2002
    Yes I wouldn't consider anyone who refuses to travel to Syria, Iraq or Libya a racist and profiler. It's just common sense.

14. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    So...it's OK to stereotype innocent people because of where they are from?

I'm not talking about traveling. I'm talking about profiling innocent Libyan-Americans or Syrian-Americans, assuming that they are or might be terrorists because of where they or their families are from.

Jedi Merkurian and Juliet316 like this.
  15. J-Rod

Jul 28, 2004
    I thought I was clear. I said that profiling of Americans is racist and unconstitutional.

I don't know how they do it, Merk. I've heard interviews with former agents who say they use nationality among other things for profiling. But I don't actually know.

16. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    J-Rod In a hypothetical scenario that the Russian government held a vested interest for Trump in office, why do you think that would be? What would be the benefit?

17. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Then how do you know that it is common sense?

I wouldn't profile people (even foreigners) based on their skin color, country of origin, or religion, for example. Which is what a lot of people are referring to when they suggest profiling foreigners.

I mean, I don't hear about white atheist Europeans getting hassled.

Criminal record and associations might be more reasonable, to an extent, though I don't think a foreigner should be looked on with suspicion because he stole a pack of gum when he was five, and because his brother's sister's cousin's former roommate got mad and blew himself up.

Personally, I'd hate to be profiled just for having criminal relatives, even though I have never been arrested in my life, much less charged with a crime. I'd find that unjust.

I think foreigners should basically be treated with the same respect as Americans. Treat others the way you would want to be treated. Humans are humans, no matter where they're from.

If it's wrong to profile Americans, why is it okay to profile foreigners? Why two sets of standards? Is one group, Americans, more human than other groups? Is an American individual more deserving of fair treatment than foreign individuals?

J-Rod, you are generally a good sport, though. I'll try to treat you as I would want to be treated.

18. J-Rod

Jul 28, 2004
    Outside of business agreements I couldn't imagine what ties Trump would have with Russia. He may have factories there? Who knows.
    As I said, Americans have a common experience, despite our differences. No matter how redneck you are there is a rap song that you would relate to. No matter how urban you are, there is a country song that can touch you. We are all Americans. As different as we are, we are also the same.

And much of the world doesn't like us. They don't like our permissiveness, our tolerance. They don't like our unity. (Despite how far we have to go in this regard we are miles ahead of anyone else.) They don't like our success and they don't like our culture.

And they want to kill us.

Only when they need something from us do they pretend to be allies.

And sometimes I get angry and get banned. LOL. But I love your understanding. :)

19. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Who are "they", exactly?

Rew and anakinfansince1983 like this.
  20. J-Rod

Jul 28, 2004
    Isn't that the whole problem? It's hard to tell.

21. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I don't think entire countries are looking to murder Americans, and the assumption that they do, lumps any innocent people who reside in that country with a vague caricature of Guilty Person Who MIGHT Reside There.

We need a bit more information than country of origin or religion before accusing someone of terrorist activity.

Meanwhile, The Atlantic's report on Trump asking Russia to hack classified American information

CT-867-5309 and Juliet316 like this.
  22. J-Rod

Jul 28, 2004
    Iran wouldn't destroy us if they had a chance? I suspect they would in a heartbeat.

But your The Atlantic article doesn't match it's headline.

"“By the way, if they hacked, they probably have her 33,000 emails,” he said. “I hope they do. They probably have her 33,000 emails that she lost and deleted. Because you’d see some beauties there.” A few minutes later, he returned to the idea, speaking directly to the Kremlin: “I will tell you this: Russia, if you’re listening, I hope you’re able to find the 30,000 emails that are missing.”

23. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    You want every Iranian put under suspicion of being a terrorist? Really?

And it looks like encouraging Russia to hack e-mails to me.

Vaderize03 and Juliet316 like this.
  24. J-Rod

Jul 28, 2004
    I would want any Iranian scrutinized before being allowed entrance into this country.

And it certainly doesn't sound like Trump is encouraging hacking. The server in question is already off line and can't be hacked. And if it was hacked today the emails would still be erased. He was clearly talking about the hack that already happened. To believe anything else is being willfully ignorant. All he was doing was making a joke about information sharing, not asking for them to hack a server that isn't even online and doesn't have the emails he was joking about.

25. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    If that was a joke, it was not funny, not even close. But this is a man who thinks that it's funny to call women bimbos and talk about punching opponents in the face, so if it was another display of his rubbish sense of humor, that would not surprise me.

Would you want any Iranian scrutinized more than anyone from, say, Australia? If so you are open to targeting innocents due to nationality. By all means target anyone for connections to groups that threaten the US but the standard for scrutinizing people needs to be the same across the board.

Juliet316 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.