main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate The 2016 U.S. Presidential Election has begun

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ghost, May 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    Yes, his positions are more liberal than Republican positions usually are. It doesn't matter! None of his positions matter. Because they're totally meaningless. Do you really think he will fight for any of them? He won't. He only fights for fame and personal gain. And that's why he's dangerous.

Juliet316 and heels1785 like this.
  2. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    How is harassing innocent people based on the idea they "fit a criminal profile" based on their skin color, country of origin, etc. NOT oppressive?

Juliet316 and CT-867-5309 like this.
  3. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    He has no positions, because he has no base understanding. He hears things, and then regurgitates. No originality, just blurts stuff out.

Which leads to him saying things like "I prefer heroes who don't get captured," etc, etc.

edit - the internet never forgets. just so we remember who we're dealing with here.

[​IMG]

4. J-Rod

J-Rod Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 28, 2004
    I don't think so. He will never recoup his losses from running for president.
    op·pres·sive
    əˈpresiv/
    adjective

1. unjustly inflicting hardship and constraint, especially on a minority or other subordinate group.It's not. Profiling in and of itself doesn't cause a hardship. Now, if that profiling reveals a terrorist then he'd have a hardship.

5. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    ever been profiled j-rod?

6. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    J-Rod,
    The biggest problem with Trump is he seems unaware of and unwilling to learn more about the government and role of the presidency/chief executive. That is what leads him to make asinine assertions like asking the Russians to find HRC's missing emails.

He also shows a petty vengeance towards opponents and putting him in as Chief Executive would give him power to go after those people.

It's ridiculous and he is ridiculous. But, he is one person away from getting in.

I wouldn't feel entirely safe for my country with him at the helm. HRC is terrible but she would surround herself and listen to counsel. Trump has shown he doesn't listen to anyone but himself.

btw, I'm glad you still drop in and debate J-Rod. I just wish you were able to respond in a more timely manner to keep the debate relevant and cogent.

Any time Jedi Merkurian asks you a question, I immediately assume it might be answered in a few weeks. :p

Juliet316 and Darth Nerdling like this.
  7. Darth Nerdling

Darth Nerdling Force Ghost star 4

Mar 20, 2013
    J-Rod,

The Russian hacks aren't a matter of national security because they might reveal what Clinton did in her yoga classes. It is a national security issue because Russia is trying to change the outcome of a US election.

And it should tell you something that Russia is trying to sway the election towards Trump, a guy who has praised Putin and praised dictators and talks of weakening NATO and strengthening ties with Russia, a nation led by a pseudo-dictator that has invaded parts of the Ukraine and the Republic of Georgia to achieve their political aims.

"When Trump becomes President, I want to be able to tell my children that I did everything to stop him."

Juliet316 and heels1785 like this.
  8. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Harassing innocent people based on skin color, country of origin, etc. IS "unjustly inflicting hardship and constraint."

9. J-Rod

Jul 28, 2004
    Yes. A few times for riding a motorcycle. And once for being a shirtless white guy. (I know. I'm pretty trashy)

But he has learned. He talks about profiling people from troubled nations, not troubled religions. Hell, remember when Carter halted all visas from Iran? I do. It's been done before. And it was right then. It's right now.

Did I miss a Merk question?! Reask, I'll answer it!

Can you explain the hardship? Do they lose income? Housing? Education? Opportunity? What's the hardship of profiling citizens of specific countries?

10. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    J-Rod,
    Okay, I will concede Trump has moved his position on the "all muslims ban" to a "all people from troubled nations will be extremely vetted". However, that should have been his position to begin with not a ban on all people from a specific religion. That is akin to the American nativist party from the nineteenth century. That was bigoted then and even moreso today.

I'm also not confident he won't reverse positions back again if elected.

11. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    J-Rod

You never need worry about being profiled. American citizens with dark skin are constantly at risk of being profiled. Do you not understand that "citizens of specific countries" frequently look a lot like American citizens?

12. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    1) You were asked that question because in order to determine whether someone was a Brit of Iranian descent or an Iranian, you'd be first racially profiling brown skinned people.

2) So you'd racially profile Iranians to sort them into Muslim and non-Muslim and then send non-Muslims on their merry way? It's still racial profiling.

13. J-Rod

Jul 28, 2004
    I can see how you wouldn't trust him to revert after the election. But I think it's important to get control away from the establishment. That's the most important thing of all. And I also think for better or worse, Trump is a transformative candidate. He will change the party's positions. I'm not so fond of that. But you guys will like where it's heading.

Maybe you aren't understanding what I am saying. I'm not saying that Vladimer should be shaken down on Main Street in front of Chillies. I'm saying that ol' Vlad should get an extra looksee before being allowed to get his visa.

14. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    Does massive nuclear fallout register to you as where it could be headed? If not, I would think about changing that.

Juliet316 and Vaderize03 like this.
  15. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    [face_plain]

I'd consider it oppressive if my country, skin color or religion was considered "strike one" against me, and cause for being singled out and suspected of being a terrorist.

I've mentioned how I would find it unjust to be treated a certain way based on something my relatives have done.

Surely you can understand this. Put yourself in their shoes.

Oh. I see that you cannot understand this.

J-Rod, this is one of the most wildly ignorant things I've heard in a while.

Believe me when I say this, and I have posts here that can back this up, I hate it when people toss around "privilege".

But you are incredibly privileged to believe that profiling causes no hardship. Honestly.

People subjected to profiling are by definition singled out for no reason other than their country, skin color or religion. That alone hurts.

They are also often harassed, handcuffed, interrogated rather harshly, and temporarily imprisoned. I imagine it is quite the ordeal.

It is unjust and oppressive for an innocent and genuinely honest and well-intentioned person to be subjected to such treatment.

It's unjust and oppressive for a person who has committed some minor crime long past, or a person who has relatives who have committed crimes, but is otherwise innocent, honest and well-intentioned to not only be subjected to such treatment, but actually be denied and excluded based on those facts and nothing more, when the only reason those facts came to light is because of the color of their skin or their religion, while others are not subject to the same level of scrutiny.

Well, in the case of immigrants, yes they do lose income, housing, education and opportunity.

They lose the opportunity to even enter the country, even when not actually guilty of any crimes (a member of their family has suspected ties to terrorists, and that's been used to deny entry), and with that comes the loss of potential income and housing in the US. This has actually happened many times.

And, I think you should recognize and appreciate the emotional impact that it has, it's not trivial.

Such events, even when it's merely emotional impact and nothing more, has been known to anger people and drive them to extremism and terrorism.

To deny the existence of that emotional impact is to be ignorant of the consequences. It goes back to that thing I mentioned where treating people fairly is actually the more effective option, because treating people unfairly has consequences that backfire on you.

16. J-Rod

Jul 28, 2004
    That's a bit overstated. At least I think so.

17. Darth Nerdling

Darth Nerdling Force Ghost star 4

Mar 20, 2013
    KnightWriter, I agree with your general assessment that Trump does have an advantage in respect to "emotional appeal," though I don't think any election can be reduced to one factor. However, Hillary has 2 strong emotional appeals working for her: fear of Trump and the 1st female Presidency.

I'm glad that she saved the breaking the glass ceiling appeals until this point. This message may have helped her beat Bernie more easily, but it would have lost its resonance by this point, and it would've seemed much more like pandering then. Now it has much more resonance: Trump a bigoted sexist vs Hillary breaking the glass ceiling.

I think a calm reasonable intelligent woman breaking the glass ceiling by defeating a scary bigoted jerk has great emotional appeal.

"When Trump becomes President, I want to be able to tell my children that I did everything to stop him."

Juliet316 likes this.
  18. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Fact Checkers on the first 2 Days of the Democratic Convention... pretty darn good! :D
    https://gma.yahoo.com/democratic-na...-speakers-030606737--abc-news-topstories.html

This Trump/Russia stuff though... that's not the thing to say just as your close ties with Russia are coming under increasing scrutiny. Yikes. So close to crossing the line, if he hasn't yet. At this rate, we may get the 21st century version of Aaron Burr.

19. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    J-Rod

But only a BIT overstated. Okay….[face_worried]

J-Rod likes this.
  20. J-Rod

Jul 28, 2004

Repost: Maybe you aren't understanding what I am saying. I'm not saying that Vladimer should be shaken down on Main Street in front of Chillies. I'm saying that ol' Vlad should get an extra looksee before being allowed to get his visa.

21. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    oh so it's like that one time i got stopped for not wearing a shirt?

22. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Giving Vladimir the "extra looksee" just because his name is Vladimir, when Vladimir has not done anything wrong and there is no indication that he has done anything wrong--especially when that "extra looksee" is invasive and often abusive--is harassment.

Juliet316 and CT-867-5309 like this.
  23. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001

[face_laugh]

Hey! This is serious business! I once was told by a restaurant owner "no shirt, no shoes, no service!". That was serious business.

24. J-Rod

Jul 28, 2004
    I had shaved. It was the only reason they noticed I wasn't wearing a shirt.
    Well it depends on what the profiling in tales. Are you talking about a cavity search? For a Visa?

CT-867-5309 likes this.
  25. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    why

26. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001

Hair shirt?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.