main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate The 2016 U.S. Presidential Election has begun

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ghost, May 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Yes, I know what it represents, and I addressed that in my post.

I didn't say it was "OK." I said getting in a huff over it distracts from the much larger, actually damaging issues and that's the way the pro-war state and media would have it.

2. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    dp4m: Are you watching tonight's speech? Did you see her section on women's rights, and the historicity of her nomination? It was very nice. I have been hoping all week that someone would say something as direct and purposeful on civil rights issues. As of this writing, I'm mostly still waiting.

EDIT: And now we just got a laundry list of equal pay for women, believing in science, protecting our workers from unfair trade deals, and three or four other items. There was still no mention of civil rights issues, which in this speech include a dependent clause about Supreme Court nominees ("expand voting rights) and one other sentence fragment.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  3. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Well, it's a good thing I'm aware of the larger, damaging issues so I can worry about getting in a huff over it. :)

Ender Sai likes this.
  4. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

Yes, because not folding on that one issue would have led to there never being an America. I mean, it's covered in basically every source -- fictionalized and non-fictionalized -- so sure, we can say "Slavery was the worst!" which it was, but if they hadn't caved right at that very month to try and settle the issue down the line there literally wouldn't have been a revolution and Jello would be happier because we'd still be ruled by Queen Elizabeth.

Other people have said it. If you were looking for her, specifically, then okay. But most of yesterday was focused on it, and half of today was focused on it.

Ender Sai likes this.
  5. appleseed

appleseed Chosen One star 5

Dec 5, 2002
    They should make shirts with the "Trumpbusters" logo, lol.

6. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    You're wrong about the revolution, by the way. There just would have been two countries.

I have said over and over that I want her or her major surrogates to say it. Because you know what? The media and common people alike tabulate Presidential promises. Not "stuff some guy at the 2:15 PM convention speaking slot said" promises. It's a different level of commitment, and if she finishes this speech without some major section addressing civil rights, it will be a huge retreat from how she campaigned in the primary.

7. obi_kenobi_24

obi_kenobi_24 Force Ghost star 4

Aug 17, 2003
    There you go H. Get him

Darth Nerdling likes this.
  8. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    There you go, Wocky. Systemic racism, disposable lives. Criminal justice reform.

9. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    It's not what I would have wanted. But we've known all along that she's not the candidate I want, either.

I'll give credit where it's due.

dp4m likes this.
  10. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    There wouldn't have been independence if the colonies split into two camps, and it would have been trivial for the British to have defeated both camps if the colonies weren't united.

solojones and dp4m like this.
  11. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    That was a great speech. Time to go win.

Ghost, KnightWriter and dp4m like this.
  12. Game3525

Game3525 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 25, 2008
    She isn't Obama, but that was pretty good.

Ghost and Darth Nerdling like this.
  13. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I think that was her second best speech she's ever given, right behind the concession speech to Obama in 2008.

But... did they write this song for her campaign, or is this just something I've never heard?

14. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    I liked it for sure. Going to be a long campaign, and well over a month longer post-convention than in 2012.

Edit: Also dp4m

I think you can safely jettison your recent attire.

15. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    Just going to note that we're soon going to close this thread and open a new General Election thread now that the conventions are over.

KnightWriter likes this.
  16. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Hurrah, I am me again!

KnightWriter likes this.
  17. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Balloons. You can't help but love balloons, and there is the proof. If Hillary mailed out 100 million balloons, she would win by a landslide.

Bill was looking a little too eagerly at the VP's daugheter at the end there. But it's Bill, so what the hell!

18. slidewhistle

slidewhistle Jedi Knight star 3

Jul 24, 2015
    It's only appropriate that the party of the youth should offer techno music alongside its plan to provide tuition-free college. That young lady on stage is certainly enjoying dancing to it. I think she's doing the dubstep!

19. Jedi Dragon D

Jedi Dragon D Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2013
    GREAT speech! Many issues touched for sure!

20. Darth Nerdling

Darth Nerdling Force Ghost star 4

Mar 20, 2013
    Well, the audience reaction was far more enthusiastic in response to Hillary's speech than the one Trump gave.

"When Trump becomes President, I want to be able to tell my children that I did everything to stop him."

21. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    So, we couldn't tell here at home -- were people trying to yell things against Hillary, and that's why the "Hillary! Hillary!" chants started up at the odd times in the speech?

We definitely heard appropriate "Hillary! Hillary!" chants and "Love trumps hate!" chants... but there were a couple I couldn't make out.

22. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001

I think it was probably what you think it was (protestors being drowned out).

23. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    they adopted it as a deliberate tactic tonight.

24. Ava G.

Ava G. Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2016
    Every other article on the internet has to do with the stupid DNC hacking comment. If Trump's goal was to drown out all other news about the DNC, good job.

25. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    Pretty good speech by Clinton.

Only about 100 more days till the election.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.