main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate The 2016 U.S. Presidential Election has begun

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ghost, May 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Hawks and doves/isolationists/pacifists are the two extremes. I don't think simply supporting the FSA more (like we did in Libya) would have been the extreme, hawkish option. That would have been invading and occupying Syria, and making it our responsibility to end all the violence and form a new government.

2. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    It can get better, it's not for nothing. And sometimes you just have to do the right thing, not the easy thing (that will end up coming back to hurt us).

How do you define "better"? Anyone (particularly with money and power) can say it will get better. Vietnam was getting better for years, until of course it finally became apparent that it wasn't. Iraq was getting better for years, until the same end result came along. It doesn't work, Ghost. No amount of money or involvement can change that. Our generation has the benefit of looking at both Vietnam and Iraq-- we all should absolutely know better than to believe such nonsense.

The "right" thing? Please let me know when your first (or next) Sunday morning show appearance is. Not that there's really any difference between most of the people on there, but then again, that's sort of the point.

Lando Swarm and Arawn_Fenn like this.
  3. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Well, here's the strange thing about it: people keep trying to fix mistakes with more mistakes.

-- Going into Iraq was a bad idea in the first place
    -- It would've been salvageable if we did it right, but we didn't
    -- Then we left, trusting that the guy we knew was corrupt and incompetent wouldn't continue doing so
    -- Now we're considering going back in??

At each stage, we keep compounding mistakes. And now there's a drumroll to compound it even more. Arguably, Obama badly mishandled the withdrawal. But there's no reset button, no control + Z, no reloading the save game. It's done -- and this sort of hindsight idea that military intervention now will cure that mistake is foolish. All it will do is focus the attention of jihadists against us, people who resent our intervention in the first place. It'll also further enable a feckless prime minister who didn't listen to us, who marginalized minorities and accrued power to himself, and then comes running to us again after it all falls apart.

Yeah, no. It is an absolute tragedy that ISIS is imposing a medieval tyranny on Mesopotamia. And I steadfastly reject isolationism -- we should care, and it's the responsibility of the civilized world to try and stop humanitarian disasters....

But that doesn't mean humanitarian intervention. Not in this instance, where it's unclear that it would do anything but escalate the situation, cost lives, and be a terrible use of resources. ISIS needs to be stopped, yes, but it needs to be stopped by Iraqis -- and if not by them, then by a regional coalition.

The U.S. can lend its good offices and moral authority (to the extent we still have any) towards that end. That's not isolationism. But it's not irresponsible interventionism, either.

KnightWriter likes this.
  4. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
  5. wall of sick

wall of sick Jedi Padawan star 3

Sep 9, 2014
    jesus. lindsay ******* graham.

6. wall of sick

wall of sick Jedi Padawan star 3

Sep 9, 2014
    that's it, everybody. i'm running.

Ghost and Coruscant like this.
  7. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
  8. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    If Mitt ran again at the very least it would negate the age factor for Hillary. Women live longer then men on average although mormons may live longer than everyone.

9. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    LINDIBLE GRABIBBLE!!!

10. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    I held out hope for a good while that Lindsey Graham might be a voice of reason and moderation in the GOP, only to be disappointed again and again. Like John McCain, he simply descended into partisan sniping and hackery. Not giving him another chance.

Rogue1-and-a-half likes this.
  11. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    He might be the very definition of partisan at this point.

I feel somewhat sorry for Jeb. He missed his chance, would have been a better POTUS than his brother (low bar I know) and now he should be judged on his own terms but will not escape all the baggae that comes with that name.

spaulagain likes this.
  12. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    The potential candidates, as of December 2014...

DEMOCRATS
    • Jim Webb (has formed exploratory committee)
    Have expressed interest...
    • Joe Biden
    • Hillary Clinton
    • Howard Dean
    • Luis Gutierrez
    • Joe Manchin
    • Martin O'Malley
    • Ed Rendell
    • Bernie Sanders
    • Brian Schweitzer
    Also might run...
    Tammy Baldwin, Steve Bullock, George Clooney, Andrew Cuomo, Russ Feingold, Al Gore, Maggie Hassan, Amy Klobuchar, William McRaven, Janet Napolitano, Jay Nixon, Antonio Villaraigosa, Mark Warner

REPUBLICANS
    • Jeb Bush (has formed exploratory committee)
    Have expressed interest...
    • Rick Santorum
    • Michele Bachmann
    • John Bolton
    • Ben Carson
    • Chris Christie
    • Bob Corker
    • Ted Cruz
    • Bob Ehrlich
    • Carly Fiorina
    • Jim Gilmore
    • Lindsey Graham
    • Mike Huckabee
    • Bobby Jindal
    • Peter King
    • George Pataki
    • Rand Paul
    • Mike Pence
    • Rick Perry
    • Marco Rubio
    • Paul Ryan
    • Donald Trump
    • Scott Walker
    Also might run...
    Herman Cain, Mitch Daniels, John Kasich, Susana Martinez, Sarah Palin, Rick Snyder, John Thune, Allen West

13. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Might as well toss Warren into the "might run" side of the ledger...

14. beezel26

beezel26 Jedi Master star 7

May 11, 2003
  15. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Looking forward to Clooney/Gore v. Trump/West.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  16. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001

since when?

17. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

Have you seen that list up there?

18. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    *Obligatory Bernie Sanders is not actually a Democrat post*

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  19. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    Warren has said over and over that she's not running, and she's been decisive about it. It's getting late in the invisible primary, and she would have to do a hard turn at this point. Not impossible, but not likely.

20. Armenian_Jedi

Armenian_Jedi Force Ghost star 7

Mar 14, 2003
    I'm thinking of voting for Joe Arpaio regardless of whether he runs or not.

21. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    I figured as much-- you've expressed a lot of support for his views over the years.

Armenian_Jedi likes this.
  22. Armenian_Jedi

Armenian_Jedi Force Ghost star 7

Mar 14, 2003
    Dammit, Josh, don't pay attention to me right now.

23. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    I know I'm about 17 conversations ago, but after the Grand Ayatollah's intervention, things have actually improved. To date, Prime Minister Abadi has been more even-handed than Maliki was. If the country is leaning heavily on Iranian coordination logistics to make their counter-offensive work, at least they've picked someone reliable, and fairly functional. Outside the non-Kurdish Sunni areas, there's been some success in pushing back ISIS. Granted, not as much as we'd like, but let's not discredit the hard-won gains to date.

24. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Huckabee now looks like he's about to run, leaving FOX news.

25. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    Not that there was much chance of it to begin with, but that should ensure that Santorum does not run again.

Walker is the only Republican candidate that concerns me, mostly because he is a deeply sleazy man with the ability to look nice while helping the rich do well at the expense of the poor. Apparently, the Wisconsin legislature, which has a Republican majority, is set to make life difficult for him by going after a number of conservative priorities early on in his second term. He'd rather bypass all that and look moderate for national audiences.

Vaderize03 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.