main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph The 2017 Box Office Bloodsplatter

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Jan 3, 2017.

1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Things really get freaky then.

[​IMG]

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  2. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Can you please use a different term? Blacks and Hispanics have enough problems in the age of Trump without you blaming us for Bayformers, too.

3. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    Anyone who's seen a recent Michael Bay movie will understand why it's sometimes necessary to place limits on freedom of expression, but at least the reviews of the new Transfomers movie help justify the first amendment. My personal favorite: "an exhausting marathon of complete nonsense."

Violent Violet Menace likes this.
  4. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

I think he's blaming the Asians.

Lord Vivec likes this.
  5. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    Yeah, basically said the same thing about the film when I described in a word: nonsense, and the further elaborated that is basically one random action scene after another.

Rylo Ken likes this.
  6. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Estimates:
    -TF5: 45.3 (3-day)/69.1(5-day)
    -(tie) WW & Cars 3: 25.175
    -47 Meters 7.4
    -All Eyez 5.8
    -The Mummy 5.8
    -POTC 5.2
    -Rough 4.7
    -Underpants 4.2
    -GOTG2 3.0

TF franchise low domestically, under performing by around half as much in most territories worldwide compared to AOE, except in China where a franchise-high of 123.4 was obtained. Currently stands at 265.2 worldwide off a 217 budget.

WW has only a 39% drop, outpacing BVS, durpassing MOS and will pass BVS entirely in a few days, ending up 3rd behind TDK & TDKR.

Violent Violet Menace likes this.
  7. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    i'm surprised Cars 3 hasn't made more

8. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    It makes it real money through merch.

9. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    War for the Planet of the Apes is yet another sequel coming in above 90% on RT. $800 million worldwide would be a cakewalk for this movie but for it being sandwiched between the equally well-reviewed Spider-Man, and the tantalizing and heavily marketed Dunkirk.

http://www.slashfilm.com/dunkirk-reviews/

10. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    It'll be interesting to see how much SMH drops against Apes. It is a fairly well liked movie so let's say 60 million 2nd weekend at the very least, so Apes may scrape by it.

Transformers 5 is an interesting case study, it's clearly doing worse everywhere else except China. And "worse" means half of what TF4 made but them China box office loves it. So is China Box office enough to keep a franchise going? That seems to have not worked out for Warcraft or Terminator: Genisys.

I do want to see the Bumblebee movie, though, cuz the guy who is directed it made Kubo and the Two Strings, and Hallie Stienfeld and it's freakin' Bumblebee. so great shot at that. And probably won't cost as much as Bay's movies. After that? who knows.

11. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    War for the Planet of the Apes War for the Box Office.

And the pinnacle of Steve Zahn's career, as he steps out as "Bad Ape".

Rylo Ken likes this.
  12. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    I got my tickets to 70mm IMAX Dunkirk for next Friday. I'm no unconditional Nolan fan: Interstellar and Inception are both godawful wastes of big special effects budgets. But I'm hopeful and optimistic about Dunkirk. As always, those are my watchwords: optimism and hope.

13. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    And you're a big Harry Styles fan. No doubt you'll be viewing the film wearing your "Mr. Styles" shirt.

Rylo Ken likes this.
  14. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    I dream of a Dunkirk/This Is Us double feature. Everything after that would be known as the "post-entertainment" era.

15. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    I saw the seven minute IMax preview of Dunkirk when it played before Rogue One, and it was a spectacular seven minutes as it mostly (IIRC) featured Tom Hardy's character in his fighter plane. The visual airplane sequence reminded me alot of the great dog fighting cinematography in Top Gun. I hope to see Dunkirik on IMax, but during the big budget blockbuster summer season, most films in my neck of the woods usually gets the IMax screen on their opening weekend.

16. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Did Nolan make a movie under 2 hours and 10 minutes yet? (which he hasn't since, what, The Prestige?) Or like all WWII movies is this pushing 2:30 to 3 hours?

17. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Why are you asking a question and answering it? Because you're Big Fail.

18. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Dunkirk is supposedly his shortest film since his first movie.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  19. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    I'll be curious to see how much Spider-Man: Homecoming drops off in its second week and will War for the Planet of the Apes draw enough ticket sales to take the number one spot at the box office. I'm rooting for both movies to do well.

20. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    I was pretty pleased with War, but I want it to do badly, so they don't make any more of them. Not horribly, just not "guaranteed cash cow, let's milk this!" level. On the other hand, that might give producers the idea that all expensive movies have to be light schlock to be successful. Between a rock and a hard place here... I suppose it's all riding on Dunkirk to do well, then.

21. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Dunkirk is an hour and 46 minutes! Holy hannah, you rock Nolan!

22. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    War wins the weekend by about 11 million.

61% drop off in second weekend for Spiderman - in comparison with recent superhero flicks, GOTG 2 had about a 55% drop, and Wonder Woman had about a 43% drop.

23. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    It seems likely that War and Homecoming hurt each other pretty significantly this weekend and should not have opened back to back.

Dunkirk review embargo lifts tomorrow.

24. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, I think there was a lot of cannibalizing there. It's worth noting, however, that War opened a little bit above Rise. Valerian is going to get eaten alive by the 2nd and 3rd weeks of those films against the backdrop of a Nolan film. I can't see it breaking $30m opening weekend. $20m might even be pushing it, save for the sheer number of screens its being released on.

25. Guidman

Guidman Skywalker Saga Mod and Trivia Host star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 29, 2016
    I'd actually be surprised if Valerian opens over $20M, my guess is between 15-17M.

26. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Wonder Woman has now surpassed Guardians 2 domestically, now is the #2 grossing film of 2017 in the States.

Impressive accomplishment.