main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph The 2017 Box Office Bloodsplatter

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Jan 3, 2017.

1. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Dunkirk did well, but unspectacular... there's every possibility this won't be profitable...

2. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Really saturated market, at the moment. Also, and this is rather embarrassing, not a historical event that Americans are largely familiar with.

So that really just leaves the Nolan appeal - first movie in 3 years. Not terribly surprising.

3. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

My concern is more international -- it opened almost identically to Interstellar domestically -- but that made almost $500,000,000 internationally... this opened 40% down internationally, and I doubt it reaches that total mark...

4. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Ah - I haven't even seen those numbers. I can just remember that the buzz for Interstellar was nearly at Avatar levels - not sure Dunkirk got to that point. Perhaps had a wider appeal than a war film. I dunno.

5. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    Dunkirk doesn't open in China or Japan until September, but who knows whether it will find any kind of a market in those countries. The A- Cinemascore is good but not "Girls Trip" good. Will it be enough to make $450 - $500 million worldwide? 4 to 5 times its global opening weekend? Tough road ahead for the movie. It will need spectacular holds.

6. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    The French are quite understandably upset that (as I understand it, not seen it yet) their role in the story has been either ignored or underplayed. I can't say I blame them; we British always complain when American movies make it look like the USA fought and won WWII alone, and this is just the same. And this is why I'm not keen on movies that deal with real events.

7. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    I don't know if it's all that understandable. The first scene of the movie gives the impression that the French are doing the heavy lifting holding the lines while the British flee. That sets the stage for all the later scenes about how begrudging the British are about helping any French escape Dunkirk.

DarthCricketer and Sarge like this.
  8. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    That doesn't sound too bad. As I said, I've yet to see it, but my sister told me the French were up in arms about the film ignoring them. Perhaps she heard wrong, or perhaps the French are concerned that Dunkirk might impact Valerian's box office?

9. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    We all know what's impacting Valerian's box office.

10. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Wait, the Americans didn't single-handedly win World War 2?

Ender Sai -- can you confirm/deny? :p

11. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Confirmed: Very hard to fight a war when you're sitting on your hands.

dp4m likes this.
  12. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Debating if on Monday I should go see Valarian just for the hell of it (okay, the hell of it and to look at Cara Delavigne) and say I actually saw it in theatres.

13. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001

Unspectacular what?

14. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

Bless you.

15. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    [​IMG]

DarthIntegral and Ender Sai like this.
  16. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001

"I done think'd Cara Delavine be purrrrrrdy"

17. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Next Friday Al Gore's "An Inconvenient Sequel" goes into wide release. And apparently predicts the end of the world. It may not do much in terms of dollars, but if the end of the world stuff is true, it's going to be a tent pole for Rylo Ken and may be a ****buster.

18. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    I love me a good doomsday movie,but it would be great if Gore could do better at the box office than "Geostorm"

Sith_Sensei__Prime and Diggy like this.
  19. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Well critical received franchise entries such as Spider-Man: Homecoming and especially War for the Planet of the Apes haven't exactly passed their predecessors globally. Heck, War for the Planet of the Apes has been outgrossed by the Burton flick internationally and domestically! War is about 20 mil short of 300 mil and way down from Rise which made 700 mil worldwide

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/franchises/chart/?id=planetoftheapes.htm

Homecoming has passed both ASM flicks in the US but is still underneath both ASM flicks internationally. I may pass ASM2 internationally but doesn't look like it'll pass the original ASM

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/franchises/chart/?id=spiderman.htm

Violent Violet Menace likes this.
  20. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    Interesting numbers, and slightly surprising.

21. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    You swap out Emma Stone for Zendya, you make 100 million less, dammit! Bring back Stone as Spider-Gwen! (It's an alternate universe, it'll be fine)

As for War, that is a pretty steep drop. Maybe didn't have as much wow factor as the first 2 installments from the ads?

22. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    Maybe audiences are bored with the franchises.

23. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    The second apes film honestly wasn't as good as its predecessor so we're likely seeing the delayed effect of that disappointment.

Audiences have always known Tobey Maguire is the only good Spider-Man. I wonder how long before movie studios finally admit it.

24. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    What an idea that would be: once an actor perfects a role, retire the franchise when s/he retires. No more Iron Man movies ever once RDJ exits. Blessed repose in perpetuity.

25. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    I loved Tobey McGuire as Peter Parker/Spider-Man, but I think Tom Holland put his stamp on the character and has the potential to be better than Tobey. Tobey had the luxury and advantage of doing an origin story, which gave him the opportunity of a full character arc and demonstrate an endearing transformation. When Holland's Spider-Man/Peter Parker hits the screen, he's already adjusted to his new powers and responsibilities so he doesn't have that same character transformation and growth that Tobey had. We didn't see Holland's Parker learn that "with great power comes great responsibility." The best we got was Tony Stark taking the role of Uncle Ben and telling Peter he's more than just the tech suit.

War of the Planet of the Apes was swallowed up in the wake of Spider-Man: Homecoming and was probably a disappointment to those that thought the film would be a final epic showdown between a human army and an ape army.