main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph The 2017 Box Office Bloodsplatter

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Jan 3, 2017.

1. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Wolf Warrior 2 is now the fifth highest grossing film of the year worldwide.

Off a budget of $30.1 it's now at $867.6 million, $858.8 million of that from GYNA. There it opened with $131.8 million, and then made $162.4 in it's second.

2. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    If you're going to be the world's biggest economy, might as well enjoy the world's biggest movie market.

3. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Friend Request was released (and on blu ray / digital) over a year ago as Unfriended. However, I kinda doubt piracy had much of a reason for it bombing. Still, it does have Alycia Debnam-Carey running around and hollering a lot.

4. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Apparently, American Made is performing above expectations so far, which means there's a three-way race for 1st this week between AM, K2 & IT.

5. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    A $50 million movie, maybe a $20 million opening weekend. American Made should be typical recent Tom Cruise box office mediocrity.

Next weekend is going to be crazy. If Blade Runner 2049 is as good as people are saying, then we really can't do it the disservice of paying to see it. It will need to crash and burn at the box office to help cement its reputation as a sci fi masterpiece.

6. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Well, it is opening the same weekend as NYCC, so it is technically at a disadvantage already...

7. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    3 way logjam of 17 million tied at #1 this weekend! Between American Made, It and Kingsman. Probably be more accurate Monday.

8. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    There is so little time left in the year for major bombs. Aside from Blade Runner, the artsy sci fi bomb, we now have GEOSTORM! the dumb-as-a-bag-of-rocks weather control disaster flick rapidly leaving a theater near you to make room for Thor and Justice League.

Still holding out hope for Justice League obviously.

9. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    Phew, rough weekend at the box office. Fassbender's The Snowman was slammed by critics (%9 on RT) and only managed to snag a little over $3 million. Ouch. Fassbender is a great actor, but he's had a rough patch of late. Only the Brave was well received by critics (%90 RT) but audiences all but ignored it, as it barely hit $6 mill. Kinda surprised by this one. Great reviews, big name cast, a nod to real heroes. Thought sure this might do Deep Water Horizon type business. Geostorm is the big ouchie of the week. Troubled production, bloated $120+ mill budget and managed just a shade over $13 mill. It's done some business overseas, taking its total near $50 mill so far, but by any measure it's a massive flop. Even the weekend's winner, Boo 2! A Madea Halloween came in at the bottom of projections. W/holdovers like Happy Death Day, Blade Runner 2049 and The Foreigner scuffling along, it was a bad weekend for Hollywood.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  10. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Factoids re. Fifty Shades franchise. While there was a drop from #1 (571 mil worldwide) to #2 (380 mil worldwide), both installments cleaned up overseas with 70% of their total take.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=intl&id=fiftyshadesofgrey.htm

Grey's highest international territory was the U.K. and then Germany but, here's the interesting part

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=intl&id=fiftyshadesdarker.htm

Darker's international take that was flip flopped, it made more in Germany than in the U.K.

All of this is down to, why is the franchise still going and why does it make so much money? and why overseas where the split is like a blockbuster?

To be fair, the budgets for both were 40 and 50 million and when was the last time people actually put up 50 million for an R-rated sex romp movie?

11. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Thor 3 opened with $121m in the US, $4m more than Homecoming and the 7th highest MCU opening (out of 17 films) overall. In it's second week oversea it took in $151m (including the largest November opening records for China and India), bring the worldwide gross to $427m so far.

2nd place went to Bad Moms Xmas w/$17m/21.5m 3-day/5-day, Jigsaw in 3rd with $6.7m (28.m domestic so far, surpassing Saw VI and will likely do so worldwide eventually), Boo 2 in 4th with 4.6 & Geostorm in 5th with $3m (domestic total at $28.7m, $182m Ww).

BR2 was in 8th w/2.2, now at $239.9m Ww

12. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    I guess the early consensus on Murder on the Orient Express is that it's as star studded as, and no worse than, the 1974 version. The 1974 version is spectacularly, star studdedly mediocre. Hopefully Daisy Ridley's first major movie foray outside Star Wars won't be a complete box office bomb.

13. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    I think Murder on the Orient Express will do decently, it's a left-field old timey concept that we really haven't seen in quite awhile and it's all full of stars.

14. PCCViking

PCCViking 6x Wacky Wednesday Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Jun 12, 2014
    Assuming that Wonder Woman has finished its run in the theaters by now, it looks like Beauty and the Beast will finish as the top grossing movie for its entire theatrical run within the year 2017 itself. The Last Jedi will undoubtedly pull in more money for its entire theatrical run, both domestic and international, but a bulk of that will be in 2018. As of now, it still has the best opening weekend, which will be replaced by The Last Jedi.

15. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    Looks like Thor 3 is well on its way to beating out Spider-Man: Homecoming for the title of fifth highest grossing MCU movie of all time.

16. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    Cool. Ragnarok deserves the box office success as it delivered a brilliant, colorful, fun and entertaining movie. For now, I'm rating Thor Ragnarok higher on my list than Spider-Man: Homecoming.

17. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012

While Last Jedi may not pass the international total of Beauty and the Best (1.2 billion) by January 1st, 2018 (which I think actually may be possible) it only has to gross 504 million in North America by January 1st, which I think it'll do because it's opening on the night of Dec 14th and that's 3 weeks, where the bulk of it will be made. So let's say Last Jedi makes 200 mil opening weekend (really likely, I'm guessing), it only needs to make 300 million over the next 11 days, so I think it'll definitely pass Beast in N.A. by the end of 2017.

Which is insane, only 300 million in 11 days, but we're talkin bout Star Wars movie and a proper episode at that and (fairly recent) a sequel to Force Awakens which made over 900 million just in North America so I think that's possible. TFA made over 600 million by Dec 31st (hell it almost outgrossed Jurassic World by less than a million dollars to be the top 2015 release in 2015). And Last Jedi has a 2 day head start on TFA.

PCCViking likes this.
  18. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    Speaking of bloodsplatter, the lesson of 2017 is that low budget horror does not need to be franchised/sequelized.

[​IMG]

Sequels tend to drive up production costs. The Annabelle sequel did well, but cost twice as much as the first one. Get Out, Split and It were the biggest return on budget winners of the year.

19. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    lol Rylo Ken for Despicable Me 3...

20. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    Did I get the budget wrong?

21. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

No, but it looks like you're including it as "low budget horror" which sounds about right for you and commercialization... :p

22. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    No, of the top 50 highest grossing movies of 2017, that list is movies with the highest returns on budget. Your Name and Wolf Warrior 2 aren't horror either. but 4 of the top 7 are and 4 of the top 7 aren't sequels.

23. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
  24. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Rylo Ken -- Justice League is looking to severely underperform and not break $100M for opening weekend (thus opening less than each of the individual films of MoS, BvS, WW)... however, if it can hold BvS' foreign cume (and not WW's for instance) it may matter less...

25. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    65-70% of its box office outside the US seems likely. $800 million worldwide overall. Not really bad enough to tank the franchise. Too big to fail - posing a systemic risk to my mood.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.