main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph The 2017 Box Office Bloodsplatter

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Jan 3, 2017.

1. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Well, if it makes 90ish this weekend that's probably at least 200 million North America and I'd guess at least 700 million overseas, they'll be fine.

2. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

The top overseas gross was $550M for BvS; Wonder Woman did 20% less.

3. Guidman

Guidman Skywalker Saga Mod and Trivia Host star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 29, 2016
    It could be between $700-800M worldwide (I don't think it does that much overseas alone), plus the budget and marketing costs are probably close to $500M themselves. WB is most likely going to lose money on this one.

4. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012

Good point but I get the feeling this'll outgross BvS overseas just because it's bigger and flashier but lemmie knock it down to 600 million. I also had a random thought while watching the flick that maybe, in the end, the WB DC superhero franchise will end up being the slightly lower-budget counterpart to the Marvel Insane Amount of Money Spent But Turns A Profit. And it looks like the next few flicks in the DC pipeline, Shazam, Suicide Squad 2, Joker movie, Aquaman, Batgirl, could be made cheaper and probably still make the same amount of bank as BvS/WW/JL/SS. Wonder Woman 2 will probably get a budget increase, though.

5. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

So, let me see if I understand you correctly.

Batman v. Superman made 66% of it's total grosses from foreign BO already. It's also the highest that a DC movie opened both domestically ($166M) and overseas ($542M)

Justice League is opening at an estimated $95M domestically... and you're now suggesting that a) the movie will generate $200M domestically (fair), b) but also generate 75% of its total revenue from overseas whilst outperforming BvS with $600M?

I'd... not take that bet... :p Is it possible? Sure! Is is likely? Probably not, given experience here...

6. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Groot is more bankable at the box office than Superman.

What a time to be alive

7. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012

Now I wouldn't bet the farm on it but I'm okay with that due to stuff like Transformers 5 making 78% overseas or what I'm looking at is something like Pirates 5 which made 622 overseas for 78% and not even cracking 180 million in North America. Like I said, is flashy and bombastic. That seems to translate well. I think it'll pass Wonder Woman's 400 mil overseas easily.

8. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

Right, but you also have to look at history there too... POTC has been trending in that direction since the first film, because Johnny Depp (as you note) is inexplicably a draw overseas.

In order: 47/53, 40/60, 32/68, 23/77. 22/78 -- we've pretty much hit the bottom there (and they're still making at least 1-2 more).

Similarly, Transformers has been squandering the goodwill of the first movie and been doing that too...

In order: 45/55, 48/52, 31/69, 22/78, 22/78

I'd expect to see similar in Tom Cruise films as he is also a massive foreign draw.

However, looking at DC films they tend to follow similar patterns to the MCU films -- roughly 35 - 45 / 65 - 55 in breakdown (depending on which film)...

44/56 (MoS), 38/62 (BvS), 44/56 (SS), 50/50 (WW)

Believe it or not, MCU tends to run a little lower on those numbers, with anything not involving RDJ (by himself) or GOTG usually generating 60 - 67% of grosses in foreign markets... whether it's because there was build-up, or actors, or characters... who knows. But it's unlikely but not impossible that the foreign percentage and grosses rise, vs. simply the percentages (in POTC / Transformers -- it's because they're crap and US audiences are driven away)...

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  9. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    Which makes me wonder that even if Superman was featured in the trailers and other promotional materials would it have made a difference with the opening box office numbers. Perhaps, after the first week of release they might include Superman in TV spots.

Now I'm curious how much Justice League with dip in its second week of release with the Thanksgiving weekend, in that, will it help or hurt it at the box office. Despite like Thor: Ragnarok better than Justice League, I think I would buy another ticket to Justice League.

10. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Box Office: 'Coco' Beats 'Justice League' Over Holiday Weekend

I wanted to see Coco will my family over the Thanksgiving weekend, but was out voted and ended up putting my money on Thor: Ragnarok. I'll be contributing to Justice League's box office run tomorrow night as I'll be seeing for a second time.

11. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    I'm sure "Coco" is good, but the previews have done nothing for me. It reminds me of "Book of Like" which I saw on HBO maybe a year or two ago and I honestly don't remember anything about it. Side note, I know "Kubo" got rave reviews but I didn't care for that either.

12. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    What is Coco about? The previews I've seen have told me nothing.

13. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    It's honestly kind of funny that Justice League, which was supposed to be a really big deal for DC, was knocked out of the number one BO spot after one week by Coco. Again it seems that WB needs to evaluate their approach for the DC EU (and they may also wonder if Wonder Woman was a fluke).

14. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    From what I understand, Coco is about a boy that's passionate about music and wants to pursue it, but his family, for reasons, is dead set against music. However, the family's ancestry is filled with musicians which the boy some how is able to visit the world of the dead and interact with his ancestors. I've heard the film beautifully illustrates the Mexican culture with this film. I heard the Box of Life deals with the Mexican holiday, "Day of Dead."

TiniTinyTony and Diggy like this.
  15. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    They’re both set around the day of the dead.

Sith_Sensei__Prime likes this.
  16. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    You are everything that is wrong in the world.

17. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    Harsh, man. I know you're just kidding, but I didn't like Kubo as a character and I couldn't really relate to any of the other characters either. Also I thought the overall pacing was very slow. The stop motion animation was beautiful, but beauty aside, I wanted a good interesting story and I was just bored. It probably needed a musical number or two.

18. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    I second The2ndQuest.

19. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    Jumanji and Greatest Showman look like the last major 2017 box office blood sacrifices. I'm predicting not the best musical since Hamilton and Kinky Boots. What was Jackman thinking?

20. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
  21. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

I knew nothing about The Greatest Showman until I saw the trailer yesterday and now I want to see it again and again...

It looks very much in the vein as Moulin Rouge and that was a decent success (and cult favorite) so there's a good shot. Also, I'll wager you're wrong on Jumanji as well.

22. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    I like the oddity of the Showman trailer as well, but it strikes me as something without a mainstream audience. Also, a trailer for a musical that refuses to showcase any of the music is a problem. Take it as a given that the music is not going to stand out. I'd take a wager on Jumanji that it does Baywatch business.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  23. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

It's written by the same guys as La La Land... (who also did Dear Evan Hansen and others). I'm confident in the music. :p

Also, original Jumanji was 4x budget (globally)... I'm willing to wager it hits 3x with the increased budget.

24. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    La La Land music is forgettable. I'll do the under on global box office at 3x the production budget for Jumanji. Dinner in NY this summer?

25. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

Yep, sounds good!