main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph The 2017 Box Office Bloodsplatter

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Jan 3, 2017.

1. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
  2. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Yeah, I have a lot of friends turning on the movie and quoting that article unironically...

HOWEVER

Wocky... has a point? (And Vivec also does) Typically @Lord Vivec and @Jabba-wocky I also point to sequels like X3: The Last Stand and Spider-Man 3 as absolute highest-grossers in a series, which most people discount the second-films in their series are generally considered to be the best (so naturally would be an uptick in the third film), whereas... those films are terrible.

But also generally point out that CinemaScore is a higher-barometer to look at when talking about high-grossing films and actual response vs. fanboy reaction..

But it sometimes gets... weird. In that Spider-Man 3 and X-Men: The Last Stand also rated highly on CinemaScore (B+ and A- respectively), and there may be some issue either measuring giant franchises or how things were measured back 15 - 20 years ago.

Nothing was ever going to beat The Force Awakens, just as nothing was going to ever beat Star Wars -- you can't capture zeitgeist with sequels, even if they're good, in my opinion -- but I suppose the real benchmark will be if The Last Jedi doesn't surpass Rogue One. If that happens, then yes -- we can start discussing negativity and backlash. Also, bear in mind, Rogue One and The Last Jedi didn't have the same advantage that The Force Awakens did -- namely that Christmas DAY was the Friday of the second weekend, so kids were off literally every day the movie was out vs. Sunday for RO and Monday for TLJ. TLJ's drop is roughly comparable with RO's 2nd weekend drop -- and it's Christmas Day (25th; Monday) was almost identical to RO's 26th (Monday; Christmas observed).

Apparently, and hold on here because this is profound news, Christmas Eve (the 24th) is a terrible day for movie profits because the 3% of Jews who go are still only 3% of the population!

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  3. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    TLJ (while eating a bowl of cereal at the kitchen table): Hey dad, I made $151 this weekend.
    Dad (reading a newspaper and not looking up): That's nice.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  4. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    $151 is quite low. That's Justice League numbers.

5. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    I'd argue that B+ isn't actually that good cinemas score wise. You really want to be getting an A- or higher.

6. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    So you're arguing there's some huge breakpoint where an A- can be dismissed as secretly terrible but an A is also a confirmed masterpiece?

Violent Violet Menace likes this.
  7. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Looking at a couple 2017 stragglers, Alien Covenant wasn't saved by Japan (the last major territory it had to open in), as it did much less than Prometheus did there. The fact that it opened after video releases elsewhere in the world hit was probably a big factor there. It ended up with a 2.48x multiplier with $240.7m on a $97m budget. (Promtheus, for comparison, ended with a 3.1x multiplier)

The Mummy, however, pulled out of the gutter with a nearly-3.3x multiplier with its $409.1m gross worldwide, if we believe the stated $125m budget (and hangs a hair under 3x if we go by larger unofficial estimates).

8. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Rylo Ken likes this.
  9. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    Don't worry I won't contest Roy Moore style. I know when I've lost. See you in NY.

10. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Bump for emotional closure, for all the consternation and gnashing of teeth (sometimes in this very thread!) about how box office is down, etc. it turns out at 39.9 Billion 2017 was the Highest Grossing Worldwide Movie Year Ever!

http://deadline.com/2017/12/worldwide-box-office-record-2017-39-92-billion-comscore-1202234008/

According to comScore figures this New Year’s Eve, the worldwide box office has hit a record $39.92B. That’s up 3% over 2016 and makes 2017 the highest-grossing year ever in global box office history.

11. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    While 2017 is the highest grossing year at the box office, it kind of skews the health of movie going industry. Domestic tickets are down for a second straight according to "The Numbers.com" where it lists tickets from 1995-2017, while the average price of a movie ticket has increased $0.25.

2017 1,250,562,084 Tickets sold
    2016 1,296,674,369 Tickets sold
    2015 1,322,551,950 Tickets sold

Collider.com list the Winners and Losers of 2017 as:
    I think Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets is a big loser too considering it grossed $225,874,228 worldwide with a budget of $177 million (does not include cost of promoting and advertising).

12. Boba Nekhbet

Boba Nekhbet Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 30, 2014
    I am shocked Valerian didn't do well. AMC's "free Valerian branded fidget spinner with movie ticket" promotion didn't do the trick?!

soitscometothis likes this.
  13. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    Monster Trucks was such a complete flop that no one remembers anything about it. But it had a reported budget of $125 million and made $64 million worldwide.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  14. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    What I find interesting is just looking at the overall trend for total tickets sold has been over that 22 year period of time- though there was a peak in the early 00's (which I would theorize aligns with the golden age of DVD, which is an interesting effect), ticket sales haven't really changed radically since 1995 despite the emergence of competing media options.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2018
  15. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    @Rylo Ken -- looks like we were both wrong... Jumanji finished at the top of the BO for this weekend and is now nearly 6x cost worldwide...

16. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    That's not how the bet worked, unfortunately for me, but a pretty fantastic achievement to go up against Star Wars with a $90 million movie and make what looks like eventually 8x its budget.

17. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    In an interesting side note, it's one of two films to increase in its second weekend over the holiday period. The Greatest Showman also did it, though at a much lower scale.

18. Jebba

Jebba Jedi Youngling

Jan 6, 2018
    I wish Coco would hurry up and top $200 million, cus it’s getting closer and closer. It’s currently at $192 million, and it’s increasing so slow in gross that Jumanji managed to pass it. Also over the past few weeks, Coco has started to pace more and more behind Moana; it was pacing about $10 million behind Moana weeks ago, but now it’s probably pacing $30 million behind Moana.

Also, I think Last Jedi could have done better had the audiences not given it worse scores than the critics on rotten tomatoes.

19. Boba Nekhbet

Nov 30, 2014
    Coco is handicapped by that albatross of a short ("short") AND the fact that The Book of Life was just a couple years ago. Comparing it to Moana is guaranteed disappointment.

20. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Yah when I saw the 2 hour 10 minute runtime of Coco, I kinda balked, but I was surprised to see the film itself is only 1 hour 40 minutes, it's freakin' Oalf's Frozen Adventure that's adding to the runtime.

21. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Hasn't Disney removed Olaf's Frozen Adventure by now, I thought they were going to?

22. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    yah I think so, I noticed the running time miraculously shrank about 30 minutes or so about 2 weeks ago.

23. Boba Nekhbet

Nov 30, 2014
    I think there are still showings both with and without the short, but I'm not sure the average parent who was put off by it at first is going to know that they've removed it, chase down a showing that doesn't have it, and go anyway. I feel like the damage was done after the first wave of kids and parents had a bad experience.

Juliet316 likes this.
  24. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    Daring move putting a 30 minute short attached to it.

25. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    I had to bail on a Coco screening with my parents, nieces and sister due to the running time / what I had to get up to that day on the opening weekend but I just read it was basically almost 40 minutes from the start time before Coco actually began, I probably could have done that. Freakin' snowmen ruin everything!

Juliet316 likes this.