main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph The 2017 Box Office Bloodsplatter

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Jan 3, 2017.

1. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    Affleck's behavior was atrocious if true. Short of rape but long on creating a debilitating work environment for several women.

soitscometothis likes this.
  2. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Film scores in general have been on the decline with the trend of having them be more ambient and less big-fanfare-ish or epic. People harp on the Marvel scores for being unmemorable but they tend to be the most memorable in any given year (they're dragging behind the trend, really). Even John Williams scaled things back for TFA. The rest tends to be forgettable, non-Pixar Giacchino-type generic/average in overall sound.

I'm still trying to pinpoint when this trend began, though. Sometimes around 2005 or so. The number of memorable mainstream movie themes since then has dropped off drastically. You can probably count them on one hand (Dark Knight, Avengers, Tron Legacy, maybe a couple others?). Most other films featuring big themes are reusing ones made for their franchise prior to 2005 (Potter, LOTR, POTC, etc). Heck, extend the trend back to the start of the 00's and you probably only need two hands, so the trend might have started even further back.

Though I'm not judging the entirety of recent film music on the "big themes" score card, I think other, more low-key, scores follow the trends set by those bigger examples.

3. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    Wow, I hadn't heard of this. Absolutely appalling. I'm amazed that this kind of thing is still allowed to go on in Hollywood.

4. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    I think Batman Begins itself was one of the trailblazers of more low-key scores. At the time, the nerd-sphere (i.e. people like us) was split on criticising its lack of a heroic fanfare (and also the fact that it didn't use Elfman's theme from the Burton films). I happen to like its score, but by Zimmer's own admission, the music is understated and more of an accompanying piece than something that can work as standalone music, precisely because he felt it fit the character as depicted, and the tone of the movie, better.

While we're mentioning Giacchino; Lost was of the mid-00s and had no intro. Wasn't that kind of unusual for tv shows at the time? It had no musical score at all as far as I can remember. :confused: Just a collection of mood-setting noises, like the one that came with the opening title card. WoooooaaaaaaaaAAAAAAwouuuuuuuu :p

5. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013

;)

Violent Violet Menace likes this.
  6. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    The mid-00's became rather lousy with super-brief title sequences to make room for more commercials. Even Stargate scaled back from their epic intro sequences that set the mood perfectly to really brief title bits. Lost was definitely, if not the originator, a high profile trendsetter of that.

And, yeah, BB's score was more experimental in that regards. At the time they sorta justified it by saying there was no theme because he wasn't Batman yet, but then they never really followed through in the sequels with that implied promise of the fanfare developing into a full theme.

7. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    OK, I might actually go see this at the movies. 21 Jump Street / Brady Movie not take it at all seriously type reboot.

I bet Wilcox and Estrada hate it.

8. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

The problem with this is... Baywatch is doing the same thing, and looks a gazillion times better.

I'll still watch this on a plane though...

9. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Baywatch was high camp to start with. Anyway, I prefer this trend of irreverence toward lowbrow source material (though a couple of friends on my facebook post about this trailer are most put out by it).

Edit: Have now watched Baywatch trailer. Will likely watch on home release. I'm more of a 70s boy than a 90s one.

10. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I was thinking the other day how CHiPS, Baywatch and 21/22 Jump Street are sort of becoming this really fun, R-rated (or near- R-rated) comedy subgenre. They'd certainly play well as a marathon (assuming these two films end up being as entertaining as their trailers suggest).

cerealbox likes this.
  11. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    Another one of those weekends when the combined total RT score of the three movies opening doesn't equal a "fresh" rating.

Rings: 0
    The Space Between Us: 12
    The Comedian: 25

12. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Okay, be honest... who thought Split would be the #1 movie of the year so far? :p

Lord Vivec and Rylo Ken like this.
  13. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Isn't it behind Rogue One? 8-}

14. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    M Night is back, baby! It's the Happening we thought would never happen. But it's happened.

My wife and I saw a trailer for it in front of LA LA Land. We just turned to each other with a "who would want to see that movie?" look. Next thing you know, blam. Number one 2 weekends straight.

15. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Because of that I am tempted to pay money to see it. And I never thought I'd say that again about an Eminem. Night Shalabamabingbong film again after The Village.

Rylo Ken likes this.
  16. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

To be fair, my understanding was that Devil was sort of a return-to-form of his early stuff (good), so if this was as good as that, it makes sense... also, we're still only talking $85mm here... it'll be crushed by things in a few weeks. But 9x budget ain't bad...

17. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    I fell asleep trying to watch Devil and woke up about 4 hours later, so in my book - fantastic movie.

dp4m likes this.
  18. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    Lego Batman: RT 98%
    John Wick Chapter 2: 94%
    Fifty Shades Darker: No Score Yet

I can see where this is heading. Still, it's a weekend of almost perfectly balanced counterprogramming, with all three of those movies likely to have big openings. John Wick distant 3d place finisher.

19. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    8% for Fifty Shades Darker. One for the masochists.

20. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    Fifty Shades Sequel Flogged by Critics
    "I used my safe word, but the movie kept playing."
    etc.

Sarge, PCCViking and The2ndQuest like this.
  21. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    I may have time to only see one movie in the theater this weekend and I'm not sure if it will be Lego Batman or John Wick 2. Right now, I'm leaning towards Lego Batman. Neither one figures to be a disappointment.

I figure Batman throws some shade on 50 darker and is the box office champ this weekend. Now, if the two could be combine Batman with 50 Shades and call it Fifty Shades of Dark Knight. I mean, there are whips, masks and black leather involved in both. There's some source material for something like that:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

22. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    It's Wickrepeatia for me tonight

23. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Ugh, that's nearly as bad as Batman/Batgirl.

I'm seeing LEGO Batman tomorrow evening. The kids all love The LEGO Movie, and they love the trailers for LEGO Batman, so I'm 100% confident we will have a great time.

I'm also 99% it will be the best superhero film I see this year, and I'll probably end up seeing about 8.

24. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    I don't think you'll find this on Wickrepeatia

Yeah, the New52 Catwoman received a lot of flack for those panels. But it's not as out of left field as the Batman/Batgirl thing in The Killing Joke.

Rylo Ken likes this.
  25. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    As expected!