main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph The 2018 Box Office Blood Ocean

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Dec 31, 2017.

1. Bilbo Fett

Bilbo Fett Force Ghost star 5

Apr 19, 2017
    Seems like China voted no to that sequel this past weekend with PRU dropping almost 85% there. $450M looks to be well out of the picture now.

2. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Read today that Black Panther accounted for 23% of all ticket sales in the US for the first quarter the year, the second highest percentage ever for a three-month time period. Only "Titanic" did better, at 25%. Dollar figures can be somewhat misleading when we talk about records not just because of inflation, but because of IMAX, 3-D, etc. And pre-order numbers are silly to talk about as a benchmark because of how recent they are. But a number like that? Damn.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2018
  3. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Amblin productions no longer seem locked to one distributor anymore. Alternatively, it could simply be a coproduction due to rights, etc.

4. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    Black Panther had its 47th consecutive $1 million plus day on Tuesday.

Titanic: 101 days
    The Phantom Menace: 61 days
    Marvel Avengers 52 days
    Black Panther: 52 days?
    The Force Awakens: 45 days
    Jurassic World: 45 days
    The Dark Knight: 40 days

5. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    The Phantom Menace had 61 days of a $1 million? Learn something new everyday.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2018
  6. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    Make sense though since it was 1999 when the average ticket price were five dollars therefore in order to have a domestic run of over $400 million, it needs to be a long burn.

7. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Hollywood famously gave TPM a wide berth in terms of competition as well, which made it easier despite the summer release date.

8. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    Wild Wild West gave an assist by being an even worse movie.

9. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    A Quiet Place is competing gamely for the "Get Out" and "Split" money of 2018. It cost only $17 million to make, has fantastic reviews, an original narrative hook, an appealing director/leading actor couple headlining it, and an exciting set of trailers. It could reach as high as $40 million opening weekend and may eventually reach more than 10x its budget worldwide. You can't go wrong with well-written and executed low budget horror.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2018
  10. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    It's apparently getting gangbusters word of mouth...

Luke02 and Rylo Ken like this.
  11. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    I like this, and it gives me cause to @anakinfansince1983 for the second time today.

"Like Aliens retooled as a militant librarian's fantasy, John Krasinski's relentless shocker thrives on a nifty premise."

12. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    Whenever I think of Wild Wild West the first thing I think of is Kevin Smith and his story about writing Superman Lives. The giant spider that Jon Peters insisted on having wound up in Wild Wild West. I know I am in the minority but I really enjoy the slate of movies that came out in 1999.

13. nilzo antonio

nilzo antonio Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 31, 2015
  14. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    I have been looking forward to A Quiet Place for quite some time now, but won't have an opportunity to see it until maybe next weekend. Sounds like it will still be in a big theatre then

Rylo Ken, dp4m and nilzo antonio like this.
  15. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    3D revenues dropping in North America, lowest in 8 years

http://variety.com/2018/film/news/3d-box-office-1202743603/

I haven't seen a lot of 3D movies lately that have knocked my socks off with 3D but recent ones like Jungle Book and Ready Player One really worked well with the format. But I end up seeing most movies in 3D anyway cuz if something has an opening weekend, and only 1 screen, they're almost always in 3D.

Anyway, I'm sure Cameron with his Avatars will probably spruce up the format again.

16. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Part of the problem is theaters have been cutting back on 3D showtimes too- used to be you didn't have much of a choice during prime showtime hours (opening weekend evenings/nights) and now people just want to pay less for their ticket.

My most local theater has mostly stopped doing 3D showings during prime hours, which sucks, since that usually means i have to go to one of the AMCs in the area if I want to hit the 3D. Funny thing is, that theater still jacked up prices to pay for recent renovations (Atmos, recliners, etc- thankfully they didn't go with any dine-in crap).

Also, IMAX didn't screen Black Panther in 3D in a lot of markets, despite showing the trailers in 3D (and, in my experience, the 3D effect was actually very extreme in those cases), in order to pack in as many showings as they could. When one of the 3 biggest movies of the year isn't getting the 3D boost it normally would, it's going to offset 3D numbers. Thankfully, most of those locations are still doing Infinity War & Star Wars, etc in 3D.

(still, since i managed to see every MCU film in 3D that has been released in 3D [basically, Thor 1 onwards], it was irritating to break the chain)

But I think you're right that the Avatar sequels will probably give the format a bit of a boost- but the death of 3DTV is going to continue to hamper things (Thor Ragnarok, as far as I can tell, for example, didn't get a 3D BD release in any of the combo pack options that they usually do).

17. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I hope they move more towards the IMAX 2D, like Black Panther.

Adam of Nuchtern and PCCViking like this.
  18. Bilbo Fett

Bilbo Fett Force Ghost star 5

Apr 19, 2017
    Ragnarok didn't get a 3D blu-ray release in the US but it did for the international market.

19. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    $51 million estimate for Quiet Place - 3x its budget opening weekend in North America alone.

20. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    Well deserved, it's a great movie.

21. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    It could take the next two weeks, depending on how awful Rampage is.

22. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I don't- IMAX 3D is the best quality 3D of the different formats (followed by Real D and then Dolby) and I prefer to get that unique theatrical experience since I'll always be able to see it in 2D later. I mean, if the film wasn't shot in 3D or given a proper 3D conversion, I'm all for regular 2D IMAX.

One upside to 3D becoming more of a mainstay option rather than a must-have fad is that we're at least no longer getting films rush-converted to 3D just for the sake of it being in 3D for a cash grab. I recall Wrath of the Titans's 3D conversion being almost as bad as the movie itself.

That sucks- but that likely indicates a lack of interest in continuing to support the 3D format.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2018
  23. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    3D is a pointless technology that the vast majority of films aren't designed for. The ones that are are gimmicks and will never be seen that way again once on home video.

It's dying because average consumers have learned it's not worth paying the extra money for something often inferior or just distracting.

And the only IMAX worth anything is real-sized IMAX in 65mm. Pretty much only done by Nolan these days. The rest is a scam to get people to pay extra for the biggest normal theatre in their multiplex

24. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    And as a theater employee, I hate washing those 3D glasses, especially after multiple sell-out shows (cough, cough, Avatar, cough, cough). :p

25. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Beyond AQP's impressive debut, RPO also only fell 40% with $25m this weekend (and that's a 4-day weekend vs 3-day weekend drop, which is more impressive), exceeding most projections.

I think that's the catch- the films that use 3D best are the ones that don't use it for gimmicks but audiences only ever really remark on it if it is a gimmick. The films that utilize it for environmental immersion or controlling the viewer's focus usually never get the credit they deserve.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2018