main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph The 2018 Box Office Blood Ocean

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Dec 31, 2017.

1. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Am I the only fan here who wants Solo to be a good movie?

Outsourced likes this.
  2. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    No, I want it to be one -- but we've seen nothing (not even really the main character in costume) five months out and it had a troubled production and is five months after a loud minority of fans made people think fans hate Star Wars... so we're getting a "Hollywood process story" like every week for the next five months except the week Black Panther comes out.

3. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    But I'm calling it now. Solo: A Star Wars Story will cap out at 700 or maybe 800 million worldwide.

Which, to be fair, is freakin' fantastic just not TFA / R1 / TLJ levels. But I don't see it cracking a billion. The May release date where it lands in Blockbuster ville will ensure probably a shorter run than TFA / R1 and TLJ did. And, y'know, no Harrison Ford as Han Solo I think is a really hard sell. But, on the flipside, I can't foresee a world in the next 3 years where a Star War doesn't make at least 700 mil. But not a billion dollar grosser, that's for darn sure.

I did see a poster for Solo: A Star Wars Story outside the opening night of Last Jedi, that was really cool. And then it disappeared it seemed a few days later. :/ That counts as promotion!

Oh, okay, I'm calling Superbowl trailer too. That'll be the opening salvo. Yes, I've called Superbowl trailers for TFA / R1 and TLJ but THIS TIME I means it!

Last edited: Jan 1, 2018
  4. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    Here's what LFL should do. They should go over to Harrison Ford's house on their hands and knees and ask him to record a voice-over for the Han Solo movie. Preferrably also shoot an introduction scene and an end scene. In the Mos Eisley Cantina for all I care.

BigAl6ft6 and Rylo Ken like this.
  5. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    What Lucas called "The Young Indiana Jones maneuver..."

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  6. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    Part of me is hoping that Solo flops, because it might convince LFL to stop focusing on established character/concepts and instead go with something we haven't seen before.

7. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Well, don't you also hate Emilia Clarke's acting, and want her to go away too? :p

8. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    You must be confusing me with someone else.

9. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Very possibly!

I mean, I'm not a huge fan of her acting either, but I think there was someone else this year in one of the threads who mentioned hating her...

10. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    What story is there to tell about Han Solo? Unless it is a space version of Maria Full of Grace where Han Solo is one of the exploitative, muderous drug dealers that force impoverished women into stints as mules, this is going to be both dumb and dishonest.

Darth Punk likes this.
  11. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Jabba-wocky in 1974: "What story is there to tell about Vito Corleone?"

12. Darth_Hydra

Darth_Hydra Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 14, 2001
    I really think people are severely underestimating Solo. RO had a cast of nobodies and was still the #1 movie of 2016. I'm sure the idea of a Star Wars movie featuring a young Han Solo will be enough to draw in a large audience. The only movies I see being able to beat it are Jurassic World 2, Deadpool 2 and Avengers: Infinity War, but I still see it in the top 5 at least.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  13. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    Solo is a wildcard, IMHO. If it works, it could do great business. We just have nothing to go on at the moment to make that call.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  14. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    I think Solo will pull similar numbers to R1.

If it's a dollar less, though, the anti-Disney crowd will certainly feel emboldened. And we'll have a summer of misery around here.

15. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I will say, I would be more confident if they just say "You know what, we thought we could get this done by May -- but because we want to be sure we're putting out the best quality film we can, we're moving back to the new normal December release date."

EDIT:
    It also had like the top-grossing Asian star of all time (Donnie Yen), an Academy Award winning actress in the lead, and a multi-cultural "war / men on a mission" theme -- which people tend to respond to.

Solo: A Star Wars Story has... Donald Glover. (and Woody, but his drawing power is not that of Donnie Yen :p)...

Last edited: Jan 1, 2018
  16. Darth_Hydra

Darth_Hydra Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 14, 2001
    You forgot Emilia Clarke but we don't know the size or importance of her role just yet.

17. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I... did not. :p

Violent Violet Menace likes this.
  18. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    Watching important or profound transformations has always been an interesting dramatic point for stories. Whether it was the rise of the Empire/Fall of the Jedi (Lucas), the rise of the Corleone crime family (Coppola), or the transformation of a German businessman into a humanitarian, people have always liked to see how things come to be, or how people of interest change. Watching a petty criminal be a petty criminal. . .isn't that.

19. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    ...where it can be crushed by Peter Jackson’s Mortal Engines.

20. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    PJ's crushing days ended with Bilbo's Big Adventure.

21. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    You underestimate the power of the Tween/YA crowd. Even I fear their strength.

22. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    [​IMG]

Why not just say that you think it'd be crushed by Aquaman?

Rylo Ken likes this.
  23. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    Because nothing will be crushed by Aquaman but the families of a few film industry people who needed the story to be halfway decent if they hoped to have continued employment as costumers, set designers, and gaffers.

24. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    That’s pretty much what they’re doing after this batch of movies with Rian’s trilogy.

25. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    What a wonderful idea, Jabba! At the start of the film, Han Solo is an angel, an honourable, floor sleeping young man, who's compassion for others is only outstripped by his own humility. Pious? He practically invented the word. He leads a good and noble life.

One day he comes across a cruel man who has a wookiee-slave. Han decides to do the right thing and buys the wookiee, intending to give him his freedom. The man laughs as he accepts. The wookiee insists he owes Han a life debt. While Han could never accept such a thing, he understands the wookiee has his own honour system, and Han reluctantly allows it. Thus begins Han's decent. They are in a cantina in the outer rim. Han is approaching patrons collecting donations for a local orphanage. While he does so, the wookiee is playing a game of chance. Han notices a commotion at the game and quickly approaches. In a ridiculous act of petulance, the wookiee has ripped off his opponents arms (fortunately, they could replace the poor nuns arms with prosthetics). Shocked and dismayed, Han immediately requests medical aid and law enforcement, both provided by the rightful government, aka The Empire. The wookiee laughs, knocks Han unconscious and goes back to their ship.

Now a fugitive from the law, Han cannot continue his good work. Through a series of events caused by this terrible wookiee, who tricked Han into thinking he was honourable, we eventually end up with the wretched person we see in ANH.