main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph The 2018 Box Office Blood Ocean

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Dec 31, 2017.

1. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    They halved the capacity available in the Orlando CC main stage, just FYI. Celebration 2017 was I think 55,000 people or so in attendance, maybe 70K? I'd expect around that again.

2. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    The boards have been around a LONG time. August, 1997 to be exact. Created in Texas A&M and has gone through several different looks and styles. The discussion back then was whether TPM would beat Titanic. Yeah, probably before several here were even born yet. Point is-there were a LOT of us discussion box office results long before most people on this thread ever even knew what the box office was.

But that's not the point. The point is that there are other places to complain and whine about how TLJ and Solo have allegedly damaged the SW brand and there is even a IX thread.

3. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    lol "i have been here since the very beginning but i am somehow under the impression that everyone else here is 15 years old"

Diggy and DarthIntegral like this.
  4. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Ive been posting from Home Ec. this entire time.

Diggy and tom like this.
  5. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Really. So you posted on another message board, not here. Why do you think anyone cares about your opinion?

You’re new here, see previous post.

6. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    I for one appreciate a history lesson of the boards by a message board elder like Jedijax. Once I get my driver's license, I'm intending on driving cross country telling everyone about it.

DarthIntegral and Diggy like this.
  7. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    That explains all these browser cookies.

Master_Lok, DarthIntegral and ShaneP like this.
  8. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    In the most unsurprising news of the day, general moviegoers remain unbored by Marvel. Ant Man 2 made more than $11 million in Thursday previews, teeing up the weekend nicely to do $80 million or better.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2018
    Diggy likes this.
  9. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    How does it compare to the previews of TLJ and Solo?

10. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    $14 million for Solo, $45 million for Last Jedi, so the latter is in an entirely different league.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2018
    Diggy likes this.
  11. Bilbo Fett

Bilbo Fett Force Ghost star 5

Apr 19, 2017
    Super heroes in general. Yeah Deadpool is still technically Marvel but there's also The Incredibles. The box office for the first half of the year has been largely dominated by those movies. Jurassic World 2 is really the only other movie to move into the same league as the assorted capes so far. And we've still got what, 3 more to come out between now and December? I wonder what the percentage of the total box office will end up going towards super hero movies this year.

Isn't it about time for another one of those super hero fatigue think pieces to show up?

12. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    $33.8 million Thursday-Friday. Looks like $80 million is a lock.

13. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    $80 million is not a lock you fool! $76 million estimate, including a surprisingly large Friday-Sunday drop. I'm not sure what that means, but Incredibles 2 held up really well, and I suspect a lot of audience traffic on Saturday was eaten up by families at Incredibles 2. If I had gone out to see any movie this weekend, it would have been Incredibles 2 for a second time.

My son and I watched the first Ant Man over the weekend, and it was surprisingly good! I don't know if the sequel is any good, but the first one is not as bad as I expected it to be.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2018
    Diggy likes this.
  14. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    If you liked the first, you'll like the second, possibly more. It's one of those sequels that continues the story.

Rylo Ken likes this.
  15. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    Ant-Man opened at $57 Mil so $76 Mil for it's successor is pretty darn good. I liked Ant-Man and the Wasp, but it was a little on the slow side for me. I'll definitely give it a second watch eventually in the future as well as re-watch Ant-Man soon as I have it recorded on my DVR from a long time ago.

16. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    I would say the original Ant-Man is better film that Ant-Man and the Wasp, probably because of Edgar Wright's fingerprints were all over the original one. The sequel is obviously missing Wright's influences.

Rylo Ken and TiniTinyTony like this.
  17. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    Agreed.

On "Honest Trailer commentaries of Ant-Man", Peyton Reed said Ant-Man was always a heist movie in development and they kept that theme when he inherited directing duties. I think the sequel was definitely missing that extra angle. I did love the characters though so that was the saving grace despite the weak villains, zero threat, and okay plot.

Sith_Sensei__Prime likes this.
  18. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    I have yet to see the Honest Trailers with Peyton Reed. I will at some point.

And yeah, the original Ant-Man had that heist flavor to it, which was absent in the sequel. Ant-Man and the Wasp felt like a rescue mission and a survival theme film.

TiniTinyTony likes this.
  19. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Marvel Cinematic Universe Crosses $17 Billion Worldwide
    [​IMG]

Made-in-Oakland ‘Sorry to Bother You’ opens huge in seven cities

And it looks the highlight of the 2018 bloodbaths will take place in December.

Disney's 'Mary Poppins Returns' Just Ruined Hollywood's Christmas
    Most movie pundits think it would be wise of WB/DC to move up Aquaman to around Dec. 7, where there's no competition or perhaps even earlier like October.

20. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013

And looking ahead to 2019

Master_Lok and Juliet316 like this.
  21. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Weekend highlights:

-MI6 had a franchise best opening with $61.5m, second best for Cruise (War of the Worlds w/$64.8). International performance is pacing 19% ahead of Rogue Nation.
    -Mamma Mia 2 & Equalizer 2 both had larger than expected drops.
    -Teen Titans Go! Opened a little softer than expected w/ $10.5m.
    -AM2 passed AM1 & Thor 1 to become 16th in the MCU domestically.
    -I2 will soon become the 36th film to cross the $1b mark worldwide

As Fallout is really the last major blockbuster of the summer (barring a surprise hit), 2018's top 10 domestic going into the final stretch of the summer (and, effectively, the halfway point of the year) is currently:

1) Black Panther - $699.955m
    2) Infinity War - $677.5m
    3) Incredibles 2 - $572.7m
    4) Fallen Kingdom - $397.5m
    5) Deadpool 2 - $317.6m
    6) Solo - $212.7m
    7) A Quiet Place - $187.8m
    8) Ant-Man and the Wasp - $183.1m
    9) Ocean's 8 - $137.2m
    10) Ready Player One - $137m

Worldwide top 10 is currently:
    1) Infinity War - $2.04b
    2) Black Panther - $1.34b
    3) Fallen Kingdom - $1.23b
    4) Incredibles 2 - $996.5m
    5) Deadpool 2 - $731.6m
    6) Ready Player One- $582m
    7) Operation Red Sea - $579.2m
    8) Detective Chinatown 2 - $533.1m
    9) Rampage - $426.2m
    10) Ant-Man and the Wasp - $394.2m
    (11) Solo - $388.5m

Impressive performances by those China releases. I'm surprised Rampage did so well, relatively speaking. I suspect they're going to try keep BP in theaters until it cracks 700 even, domestically, but I don't think it can make it there, given that it's down to around $1k a day. 2/3/4 worldwide should be interesting to watch- will I2's domestic edge continue and push it past JW2? (maybe!) Will JW2 scrape up against BP? (probably not)

Last edited: Jul 29, 2018
  22. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Eh, Aquaman gets my holiday movie $.

23. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I would suspect that Aquaman will perform along the lines Justice League on the low end (mid-600s worldwide) and Suicide Squad on the high end (mid-700s), which should keep it in the top 10 even in a worst case scenario.

24. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    I saw Mission: Impossible and I think for almost everyone it will be exactly what you expect. For me that is adequate and dull. Five minutes after a vehicle chase through the streets of Paris ends, the last thing I want is a vehicle chase through the streets of Paris, but that’s what I got.

One thing though, the CGI work on Cavill’s moustache was outstanding.

heels1785 likes this.
  25. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    1) Infinity War - $2.04b
    6) Ready Player One- $582m
    7) Operation Red Sea - $579.2m
    8) Detective Chinatown 2 - $533.1m
    9) Rampage - $426.2m

I get to watch all of those on my plane going home, in concept. Italicized are the ones I haven't seen yet... probably would cut Operation Red Sea from that list, but pretty excited for DC2...