main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph The 2018 Box Office Blood Ocean

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Dec 31, 2017.

1. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    Disney placing Infinity War on May 4th is all the evidence you need in their faith in the Han Solo film.

Violent Violet Menace likes this.
  2. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    Disney's problem is that it has so many superhero movies and "live action remakes" plus Pixar and Disney's animation pipeline that it's hard for them to space major movies more than three weeks apart, particularly May-July. Incredibles 2 is 3 weeks after Solo. Ant-Man sequel is three weeks after that. I detect a pattern!

Deadpool 2 opens a week after Solo, and that's a problem. Jurassic World 2 opens a week after Incredibles 2, and that's a problem.

But Disney has decided that May-July 4 are so much more lucrative, and July and August so packed that they are opening all their big guns of the summer between May 4 and July 6.

Another question. Does Infinity War break The Force Awakens' opening weekend record?

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
  3. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Ordinarily I'd say no, but let's revisit this in February after Black Panther.

4. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    After Blaxpansploitation? No, that doesn't work. After Black Pander? Better?

You know, after seeing the latest trailer ahead of Star Wars, I'm sure it will make fantastic bank, but let us agree never to mention the words "cultural appropriation" ever again.

SuperWatto likes this.
  5. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    I think I'm going to see that actually.

6. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    the latest trailer is very exciting. I would not bet the under on 3x budget this time.

7. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    It would be the first MCU film I'd be seeing since Iron Man. I assume I haven't missed a whole lot.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  8. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    If every film mainly featuring a non-white cast is exploitation and therefore should not be made, there would be none. At least the key creative spots in this are going to African Americans.

I really have no idea where the line is. Ken has already decided it’s this years Wonder Woman, but I am not so bold.

Rylo Ken likes this.
  9. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    You can pick up anywhere, as every movie will be a more expensive recapitulation of the previous one.

sucker groin kick of the week award right there. "You make me sad."

10. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    Your sarcasm backfired. I would see this movie. In fact, if you made sure this movie was made, I would consider myself in life debt to you.

Diggy likes this.
  11. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    Solo gun b gud. 1 bill eze, maybe 1 fiddy

12. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Other way around. Marvel slotted IW for that date a little under a year before Disney announced a date for Solo.

Not to mention Marvel has effectively owned that weekend for the previous 17 years, so it was unlikely they would move (and unrealistic to expect them to).

13. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    1. Disney is taking a colorblind approach I guess, in that regardless of ethnicity or sex, everyone is going to have the same stupid, fourth walk breaking jokes, thinly sketched villains, and quippy heroes.

2. Blaming everything on Chewbacca and positing him as evil or shiftless does fit with common stereotypes about slaves, thereby continuing the OT’s major themes.

CT-867-5309 and DarthCricketer like this.
  14. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    1) which Disney film in the MCU has fourth wall breaking?

2) Huh?

15. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    1. Most MCU humor depends on the characters not taking the situations they are in seriously.

2. Chewbacca is Han Solo’s slave. In the first three films. Their “friendship” consists of him doing tasks Solo doesn’t want to, and never having a role in decision-making despite his life and limb being put at risk.

16. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    1) what does that have to do with breaking the fourth wall?

2) my plot explicitly states the Wookiee, who you assume is Chewbacca, is not a slave. Furthermore, Chewbacca is demonstrably not a slave in the OT.

17. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    Marvel superheroes are essentially gods, unable to die. How would they be able to take anything seriously if nothing they do matters and every movie they do is the same.

18. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    To avoid total blood ocean, maybe one of those Blockbusters should move to late August the 24th or August 31st. IMDB has exactly one movie each weekend there. I don't see how a flick can't make a ton of cash if it comes out August 24th.

In fact, the only big August openings are The Predator / Equilizer 2 and Meg. And those are in the first 2 weeks! Why doesn't anyone remember how awful August was in 2017 at the box office? People were writing treatises on the death of the theatrical experience. Move SOMETHING to August, please!

19. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Boba Nekhbet and SuperWatto like this.
  20. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    I was.

Boba Nekhbet, SuperWatto and Diggy like this.
  21. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Many states are back in school by then- and many colleges begin the following week so people are back in school or preparing for school. Thus, it’s usually a very poor weekend to open a film on (especially in competition to second or third week hold overs).

22. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    Infinity War will most likely be the box office champ of 2018 and it would be well deserved it that ends up being the case as it's been in the works for about 10 years.

I hope Black Panther finishes in the Top 10. It will be interesting to see how China receives the film.

As for Solo, I hope it doesn't suck because I'll be playing good money to see and I don't want my money to go to waste. But, should it be successful, I don't want Disney to mine characters of the original trilogy and spin out more anthology films of said characters. I'd rather see the Star Wars universe expand. I'm so looking forward to the first trailer to get a taste of what to expect.

Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom will definitely be a contender. I think it will hit the $1 billion mark at the worldwide box office.

I think Ant-Man and the Wasp will make more money at the worldwide box office than Justice League, as JL as yet to pass an obscure character like Doctor Strange.

I'm concerned about Deadpool 2 because it seems like it's going to fall in the same foils as most sequels; bigger budget, more characters and more of a spectacle than good story telling. I mean, that Deadpool 2 tease in front of Logan wasn't great, but the teaser trailer was exciting.

Incredibles 2 is an animated family film that should hit around $800 million at the worldwide box office.

Disney will probably have the first big box office hit of the year with A Wrinkle in Time, as they done pretty well in early spring in the pass few of years with Alice in Wonderland, Cinderella, Jungle Book and Beauty and the Beast. I don't think it will make as much money as Jungle Book, but probably around Cinderella and Maleficent numbers.

Disney will most likely be the studio champ of 2018.

23. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    I actually think Wreck It Ralph will top Incredibles.

24. Boba Nekhbet

Boba Nekhbet Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 30, 2014
    If working on something for way, way too long meant it deserved high box office takes, Terrence Malick would be a lot richer than he is now.

BigAl6ft6, tom and Rylo Ken like this.
  25. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    I was figuratively speaking in part of course and simplifying the road to Infinity War. The seeds of Infinity War were planted about 10 years ago with the production of Marvel Studio's first and self funded film Iron Man (which technically can be described as an "Indie film") and cultivated in subsequent films. And as demonstrated by WB's Justice League film, you just can't put super heroes in front of a camera and punch things and think you're going to make a $1 billion movie. Marvel crafted their characters and their shared universe into a reliable and bankable brand name as audience have become emotionally invested in their characters and universe much like Star Wars. So, when I say Infinity War was been into the works for about 10 years, I'm not just referring to the film itself but rather to the producers, directors, writers, actors and whatnot that took an Indie film like Iron Man (a C List comic book character at the time as Marvel sold off its A List and B List characters to other studios) and made it into a multi-billion dollar franchise which every other major studio is trying to emulate.

Sarge and dp4m like this.