main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Games The 20th EUC Starfigher Draft: Rebels Without a Cause (Champion: s65horsey)

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by Point Given , Oct 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mikaboshi

Mikaboshi Force Ghost star 6

Jul 12, 2005
    I've been in enough drafts to know that where a character is picked has very little to do with anything more often than not.

Basically, I agree with Trim.

2. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
  3. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Sounds good.

Well, except the name Landolanche. :p

4. Point Given

Dec 12, 2006
    Next up is #6!

Boyega Conference

Luke Skywalker, nobody really cares about the rest of the team (2) vs Blackhole Surfers (1)

Kyp Durron vs Garik "Face" Loran TRUMPED with Kell Tainer

Kyp. I like Face a lot, but I don't think Kell is that talented to help the trump overcome Kyp.

Lunchmeat Squadron (2) vs Mighty Wings (1)

Anni Capstan TRUMPED with Falynn Sandskimmer vs Jacen Solo

Jacen. Also I corrected the numbers since the last match should have had a forfeit for Mighty Wings

Ridley Conference

Prison Break (2) vs Han and Lando Proudly Present: Huh? The Musical (1)

Pash Cracken vs Saba Sebatyne

Pash

the last name brigade (1) vs The Anthony Bennett Memorial Asthmatic Fatasses Squad Who Are In No Way Good Asspicks (2)

Tycho Celchu vs Mace Windu

Tycho

GrandAdmiralJello

5. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
  6. Point Given

Dec 12, 2006
    Next up is #2!

Boyega Conference

Luke Skywalker, nobody really cares about the rest of the team (3) vs Blackhole Surfers(1)

Nrin Vakil vs Corran Horn

Corran

Lunchmeat Squadron (2) vs Mighty Wings (2)

Falynn Sandskimmer TRUMPED with Anni Capstan (FORFEIT) vs Anakin Skywalker

Anakin

Ridley Conference

Prison Break (3) vs Han and Lando Proudly Present: Huh? The Musical (1)

Myri Antilles TRUMPED with Voort "Piggy" saBinring (FORFEIT) vs Asajj Ventress TRUMPED with Obi-Wan Kenobi

Non-forfeit Trump

the last name brigade (2) vs The Anthony Bennett Memorial Asthmatic Fatasses Squad Who Are In No Way Good Asspicks (2)

Jhoram Bey TRUMPED with Anj Dahl vs Mara Jade Skywalker

Trump

GrandAdmiralJello

7. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
  8. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    I kind of like MJS there, but otherwise agree

9. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    I'm going with the trump too. I really don't like assumed experience which is what we go with from comics value, but assuming a supposedly talented wingpair is no good is silly too.

10. Point Given

Dec 12, 2006
    Next up is #5!

Boyega Conference

Luke Skywalker, nobody really cares about the rest of the team (3) vs Blackhole Surfers(2)

Bror Jace vs Kell Tainer TRUMPED with Garik "Face" Loran (FORFEIT)

Bror

Lunchmeat Squadron (3) vs Mighty Wings (2)

Aril Nunb vs Myn Donos TRUMPED with Nym (FORFEIT)

Aril

Ridley Conference

Prison Break (3) vs Han and Lando Proudly Present: Huh? The Musical (2)

Syal Antilles vs Han Solo

Han

the last name brigade (3) vs The Anthony Bennett Memorial Asthmatic Fatasses Squad Who Are In No Way Good Asspicks (2)

Derek "Hobbie" Klivian vs Tesar Sebatyne

Hobbie

11. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
  12. CrazyOldHermit

CrazyOldHermit Jedi Master star 4

Aug 22, 2007
    That's the same fight for me and Mighty Wings as last time.

My number 5 should be Sandskimmer trumped with Capstan.

13. Point Given

Dec 12, 2006
  14. Point Given

Dec 12, 2006
    Corrected the last match. It was heels' win since Anakin Skywalker hit a trump

Next up is #4!

Boyega Conference

Luke Skywalker, nobody really cares about the rest of the team (4) vs Blackhole Surfers (2)

Octa Ramis vs Soontir Fel

Baron Fel

Lunchmeat Squadron (3) vs Mighty Wings (3)

Adi Gallia vs Cade Skywalker

Adi

Ridley Conference

Prison Break (3) vs Han and Lando Proudly Present: Huh? The Musical (3)

Jake Farrell vs Rookie One

Jake the Snake

the last name brigade (4) vs The Anthony Bennett Memorial Asthmatic Fatasses Squad Who Are In No Way Good Asspicks (2)

Horton Salm TRUMPED with Edor Crespin (FORFEIT) vs Boba Fett

Fett

GrandAdmiralJello

15. Wang Chi

Wang Chi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 3, 2013
    Whoa, whoa. I'd definitely like to argue this one. Mind holding off just a bit?

16. Point Given

Dec 12, 2006
  17. Wang Chi

Mar 3, 2013
    Sorry for the slight delay. Tomorrow afternoon sometime.

18. Wang Chi

Mar 3, 2013
    Ugh, sorry again for holding the game hostage, but the bulk of the argument is going to have to wait until I get home from work tonight. I can get a little preliminary stuff out of the way now, though.

For starters, a lot of the first Rebel Assault game can be ignored, IMO. Even if the only specific mission to be declared non-canon is the trench run at the end. There's some decent stuff for R1 here and there, but the only truly impressive feat is him and two other pilots disabling (but not destroying) the Devastator in what amounts to R1's first actual combat mission. Then there's escaping the system through an asteroid field while being pursued by TIEs. Not bad at all, but it's not exactly blowing my skirt up. Then comes the Hoth stuff, and... yeah, even though it somehow has been declared canon, I can't even begin to wrap my head around how that works. It just flies right in the face of established movie events. I personally just ignore that whole section of the game.

Then Yavin. So the official explanation is that Blue squadron, which both R1 and Farrell were in, was actually off attacking the superlaser, where the game shows R1 in Luke's role destroying the Death Star from the trench. So one of Jake's biggest claims to fame is that he survived Yavin. Yep, he sure did. So did R1, though. So they're equal in that respect. But we really have no concrete details in what their squadron was up against, so it's sorta not all that amazing of a feat. For either of them, really. A feather in both their hats, sure, but in the end, we have no real details.

It's Rebel Assault 2, though. That's the game that really makes R1 a true badass, and catapults him well past the likes of Farrell, IMO. I'll get into detail when I get home later.

19. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    Farrell is the only other pilot besides Wedge to survive both Death Star runs, entering the second Death Star directly behind Wedge. This, combined with years of starfighter experience (Imperial and Rebel), being considered one of the best A-wing pilots and the skill required to complete the tough missions he was in.

It also seems like quite a bit of Rookie One's experience is actually outside of a starfighter, with infiltration of the SSD.

20. Wang Chi

Mar 3, 2013
    Crikey, I really have to stop stating specific times when it comes to stuff like this. I know it makes me seem really flaky. Too wiped last night, no time today, and Friday is the earliest I would maybe have to dedicate some time to doing this right. If we need to move on, you can go ahead and move us on.

21. Point Given

Dec 12, 2006
  22. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    I think we've swung too far in downplaying video game characters, to be honest. Yes, some uberness needs taken with a grain of salt, but even accounting for that R1 has shown deft skill with evasion, accuracy, maneuvering, and some longevity. I'll cast my vote his way.

23. Point Given

Dec 12, 2006
  24. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Oh, so PG was bugging me this whole time to avoid making a decision, eh?

I vote Farrell, then. Hah! Ball's in your court. :p

(no but seriously I do think it's pretty close -- if R1 is getting credit for flying through the Intimidator and shooting up shiz, then Farrell gets credit for the Endor run and helping knock out Executor. I don't think that one is clearly better than the other, and Farrell's length of service adds to the roughly equal amount of talent showed to put him over the edge for me).

25. Point Given

Dec 12, 2006
    Sticking with Jake

We finish up with #8

Boyega Conference

Luke Skywalker, nobody really cares about the rest of the team (4) vs Blackhole Surfers(3)

Keyan Farlander vs Jagged Fel TRUMPED with Shawnkyr Nuruodo (FORFEIT)

Farlander

Lunchmeat Squadron (4) vs Mighty Wings (3)

Gavin Darklighter vs Saesee Tiin

Arguments? I'd prefer to get this turn over quickly, given we practically spent a week on this last match, if you can get arguments up by Sunday night heels1785 CrazyOldHermit

Ridley Conference

Prison Break (4) vs Han and Lando Proudly Present: Huh? The Musical (3)

Wes Janson vs Obi-Wan Kenobi TRUMPED with Asajj Ventress (FORFEIT)

Wes

the last name brigade (4) vs The Anthony Bennett Memorial Asthmatic Fatasses Squad Who Are In No Way Good Asspicks (3)

Jhoram Bey TRUMPED with Anj Dahl (FORFEIT) vs Zekk

Zekk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.