main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Games The 25th SWC/EUC Starfighter Draft: Old Enough to Have Death Sticks (Congrats ma_petite!)

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by Point Given , Feb 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    You guys got until 11 PM EST tonight.

2. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    I'll try, I've been having a hard time getting things to post or load since the server move though.

DarkEagle likes this.
  3. DarkEagle

DarkEagle Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 10, 2009
    Syal v Lulo + Snap

First, I will freely admit that I haven't followed much of the NuEU, leaving me relying on wookieepedia summaries which may contain inaccuracies.

Second, those summaries don't sell me on the idea of Snap being a particularly outstanding pilot- it seems he's more of a recon and airshow pilot? (Please let me know if I'm misreading that) Lulo, on the other hand, seems quite capable; a long career with some good battles (Endor).

However, I'll question the quality of the opposition they faced. In the NuCanon, the Empire was intended to and helped along into losing most, if not all, of the critical engagements post-Endor. By design. Which casts some doubt on how good/motivated the Imperial pilots they faced off against were- nothing I've seen indicates they faced any sort of elite squadrons or pilots. Again, that's me going off some summaries, so it very well may be wrong.

Syal has been trained to fly Starfighters from a young age- trained by some of the all-time best (Wedge and Tycho).
    Let's not forget the time she hung with and impressed Han Solo (who's not all that easily impressed):
    I think she's more than capable of giving these guys a run for their money.

Ooryl v Saba

Major props to one @s65horsey for her contributions

For Ooryl v Kyp
    Now, I disagree with some aspects of the argument (I have previously conceded Kyp > Ooryl, but I feel Kyp > Ooryl > Saba), but the gist is good: Ooryl has a ton of flight experience (against the forces of Isard, Thrawn, Zsinj, Palpatine Reborn) and has previously shown that he's difficult for Force-sensitive pilots to get a read on, limiting the advantage they have over him. I'll toss in Ooryl's service during the Zsinj hunt where Rogue/Wraith Squadron "executed mission after mission, one after another, sometimes two in a single day" (Solo Command), and included crazy battles at Levian2 (5 NewRep squadrons against 22 Imperial ones) and Selaggis (battles in which pilots like Tycho, Hobbie, Asyr are downed).

Saba has good experience, but maybe not as much. She has most of the YV war (some uncertainty about the early part and some missed due to hunting Sekot) and not much credible experience after that. Against a career pilot like Ooryl who has a ton of experience and shown capable of flying well against Jedi, I'm not sure if she can win.

Darth_Furio likes this.
  4. Point Given

Dec 12, 2006
    True, yeah I'll give another day extension because of the board errors. Been having issues myself.

5. KenKenobi

KenKenobi Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2002
    *Two day extension. I'm gonna get him too drunk watching basketball tomorrow to judge.

6. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    Pash Cracken

One of my favorite things about him is the description that he is a career pilot. I am obsessed with career pilots for drafts like these. Experience is huge and being able to fly these ships and stay alive for multiple Star Wars eras alludes to just how good of a pilot Pash is.

According to the Databank, Pash as a young pilot he earned the title of Wing commander and led an entire wing of 72 starfighters to defect. The leadership and cunning required to do something like that is non-existent anywhere else in the Star Wars universe. We know that Pash is cunning and intelligent because he is the son of Airen Cracken who orchestrated so much of the Rebel Alliance during the early years. While at the Imperial Academy he graduated in the top 1% of his class and was said to have surpassed his instructors according to the book X-wing Wedge's Gamble.

Pash continued to strive to be better. He didn't just stay complacent as the legend his pilots made him out to be, but instead he moved on to join Rogue Squadron and study under one of the best pilots, Wedge Antilles. He is well skilled in fighter pilot tactics as well as large battle tactics (eventually commanding several large ships during the Bacta War and engagements with Grand Admiral Thrawn all the way up through the Vong war.)

He is a proficient flyer in TIEs, X-wings and A-wings. I adore Pash. The X-wing books really went over a lot of pilot and character development which was always so fun to read. Pash was one of the pilots that had character development, but he was always written as being so good in the cockpit from the beginning. That was something different from some of the other Rogues.

In the last 12 drafts Pash was chosen before Turr 9 times. I stopped going back because the conversations were similar in the drafting threads that Jello was insistent that Phennir was better, but everyone always thought Pash was because he got picked first. And it was never like right before, but there were multiple pilots between the two.

Also according to the 100 Greatest Things About Star Wars, Pash > Phennir :p

I wish I had more time like I did back when I was in school, that Ooryl argument is amazing. I need to reread my X-wing books and take notes again like I used to.

Darth_Furio and DarkEagle like this.
  7. Point Given

Dec 12, 2006
    This is also true.

DarthIntegral likes this.
  8. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    Pash Cracken vs Turr Phennir

Turr Phennir is one of the elite Imperial pilots in this draft, and I believe he is pretty much considered the best imperial pilot in the EU at some points. His experience is matched by few, flying with the 181st shortly after the Battle of Yavin (recruited by Soontir Fel no less) and surviving and succeeding well beyond the fall of the Empire and into the battling the New Republic. His accomplishments led to his steady rise in the Empire and being eventually being put in command of the elite 181st, pretty much the most feared fighter group the Imperials had - basically like being in command of Rogue Squadron for the Empire. The 181st tangled with Rogue Squadron on many occasions and Turr always at least held is own against those elite pilots, even against Wedge. I feel like the good guys tend to get favored in this draft but if a non-force using Imperial pilot is going to beat a member of Rogue Squadron Turr is the one to do it, especially since there are better Rogue Pilots than Pash. I also feel like Imperial pilots don't get enough credit for flying TIE Fighters, that while powerful fighters are unshielded and lead to a lot of them being killed. Phennier however survived all that time fighting in these ships, showing that he is not only skilled at taking out other ships but very skilled in flying and maneuvering enough to survive all those battles. Even with that said his TIE Defender is an impressive ship that should help to give him an advantage here as well.

Asajj Ventress vs Nym TRUMPED with Ben Skywaker
    Nym is a more experienced pilot than Asajj was able to become and unconventional as well. Ben gives the duo the Force Sensitivity to counter Ventress and I think the two of them can eventually take her out. Really Ventress' most notable piloting accomplishments are not getting killed. She was able to easily take out lesser pilots but really didn't do anything impressive other than not getting killed when going up against Kenobi and Skywalker (she did get shot down and retreat from them though).

Mikaboshi likes this.
  9. Point Given

Dec 12, 2006
    Making my final calls

The Rae Sloane is Awesome and You're Not Conference

#1 Seed. Mighty Wings! Part Deux! vs #3 Seed. Takes One to Rogue One

#7. Saba Sebatyne vs Ooryl Qyrgg - I think they're evenly matched on skill. Took Ooryl's slight edge on experience into account, but I think Sabs has a good deal of it on her own, and her Force power giving her an edge
    #5. Jaina Solo vs Adi Gallia
    #8. Snap Wexley TRUMPED with L'ulo vs Syal Antilles - Confirming Lean
    #1. Lowbacca TRUMPED with Tesar Sebatyne vs Saesee Tiin - Confirming Lean

The Blue Leader's Moustache Memorial Conference

#1 Seed. Traitors and Double Agents: what team are we playing for? vs #2 Seed. Harry Caray All Stars

#7. Lumiya TRUMPED with Alema Rar vs Darth Vader
    #5. Rookie One vs Imperial Ace TRUMPED with Nial Declann
    #8. Pash Cracken vs Turr Phennir - I've always been Pash > Phennir
    #1. Asajj Ventress vs Nym TRUMPED with Ben Skywaker - This was actually a pretty tough call, but what she did during Muunilist was incredible.

Mikaboshi and ma_petite like this.
  10. Evil Incarnate

Evil Incarnate Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 18, 2003
    Agreed on all except Pash vs. Turr... Just can't see Pash taking him down in the end. Don't get me wrong, this battle could take hours.

Evil.

Jedi Knight Fett and Mikaboshi like this.
  11. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Pash, because he married David Beckham and because Jello is always wrong

heels1785 and ma_petite like this.
  12. Point Given

Dec 12, 2006
    Numbers are #3, #2, #4, and #6!

#1 Seed. Mighty Wings! Part Deux! (3) vs #3 Seed. Takes One to Rogue One (1)

#3. Corran Horn vs Tycho Celchu - Ouch
    #2. Bror Jace vs Alinn Varth
    #4. L'ulo TRUMPED with Snap Wexley (FORFEIT) vs Shara Bey
    #6. Tesar Sebatyne TRUMPED with L'ulo (FORFEIT) vs Kell Tainer

#1 Seed. Traitors and Double Agents: what team are we playing for? (2) vs #2 Seed. Harry Caray All Stars (2)

#3. Inyri Forge vs Kasan Moor
    #2. Alema Rar TRUMPED with Lumiya (FORFEIT) vs Ben Skywalker TRUMPED with Nym (FORFEIT) - DRAW
    #4. Mara Jade Skywalker vs Jagged Fel
    #6. Soontir Fel vs Nial Declann TRUMPED with Imperial Ace (FORFEIT)

DarthIntegral
    Evil Incarnate

Mikaboshi likes this.
  13. DarkEagle

Jan 10, 2009
    Tycho has been super clutch lately ^:)^

I'll get something up for Varth v Jace

Mikaboshi likes this.
  14. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Save it for a good teams argument. I agree with pointy g.

Mikaboshi likes this.
  15. Point Given

Dec 12, 2006
    Final results/teams!

#1 Seed. Mighty Wings! Part Deux! (4) vs #3 Seed. Takes One to Rogue One (4)

Jaina Solo, Corran Horn, Saba Sebatyne, Tesar Sebatyne, Lowbacca, Bror Jace, Snap Wexley, L'ulo
    vs.
    Tycho Celchu, Saesee Tiin, Ooryl Qrygg, Adi Gallia, Syal Antilles, Kell Tainer, Alinn Varth, Shara Bey

#1 Seed. Traitors and Double Agents: what team are we playing for? (4) vs #2 Seed. Harry Caray All Stars (3) - 1 DRAW

heels1785
    DarkEagle
    DarthIntegral
    Evil Incarnate

BookExogorth and Mikaboshi like this.
  16. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    I'll try to get a bit more up tomorrow, but at first glance, I have a solid advantage in top 3 power and a lot of natural, in many cases, force-enhanced cohesion.

Mikaboshi likes this.
  17. DarkEagle

Jan 10, 2009
    It'll be Wednesday or Thursday for me

Mikaboshi likes this.
  18. Point Given

Dec 12, 2006
    You guys got til Friday.

As an aside I was watching the NBA Finals last night with KenKenobi and we went over this match just before the game. We both agreed it was really hard to call.

Mikaboshi likes this.
  19. KenKenobi

KenKenobi Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2002
    He's lying, I said the Obi-Wan team should win in a landslide.

20. ma_petite

ma_petite Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 26, 2006
    Fixed that for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    I'm going to stick with my straightforward, albeit brief, argument here. Looking down the line, I'd give Adi the edge over Tesar and Kell a good shot against Bror, but I believe I've got the edge at every other slot. Cohesion-wise, it's the same case that I made against Mikaboshi's side - the team was drafted as a cohesive unit, with a subunit at the back of a ST era mentor and student. Although I think they could a majority of one-on-one battles in a team setting, that's unlikely how my team fights.

Mikaboshi and Darth_Furio like this.
  22. DarkEagle

Jan 10, 2009
    Team Battle:
    Takes One to Rogue One vs Mighty Wings Part Deux!

Going to have to strongly disagree on the amount of individual advantages you have (I know the crux of your arg is about how well your squad will function as a team, and I'll get to that)

Tycho = Jaina
    Maybe a little controversial, but, imo, Jaina-Tycho is the closest matchup you can get between first-rounders
    At this point, Tycho and Corran have been squadmates for quite a while, flying numerous missions together, and Corran has been training with the Force. And still can't anticipate him while Tycho still runs him through the wringer.

Tiin > Corran
    Reread my stuff on Tiin from the previous page- there's some good stuff there. Of note:
    Which was written around the end of NJO, so guys like Corran and Kyp have had their piloting skills well established.... and they're not close enough to challenge Tiin. Some of our judges have previously voted Tiin over the likes of Han Solo, Gavin Darklighter, and Jag Fel....

Ooryl < Saba
    Established

Adi > Tesar
    Syal > Lowie
    Kell > Bror (significant experience advantage to Kell)
    Varth > Snap
    Still unimpressed with Snap; on page 22, Snap lost to Garven Dreis.... Previous args for Varth can be reread here
    Shara < Lulo
    Shara's pretty good, but I'll admit Lulo has her beat probably. Still, she's a great pilot. A bunch of missions against the Imps, Endor, and quite distinguished and well regarded by her fellow pilots.

Experience
    Tycho has a ton, Ooryl has a ton, Kell has a ton. Syal and Varth have been flying since childhood. Tiin was "introduced to flying during his youngest years" and trains "diligently" for years to be the best in the OJO. Adi and Tiin both flew in the Stark Hyperspace War (44BBY) and were highly regarded for their flying capabilities, and are still considered two of the best Jedi pilots some 25 years later during the Clone Wars.

Force
    Edge Heels

Cohesion
    The big point Heels has going for his squadron is their cohesion, which I agree is pretty good. However, I'm not sure it'll be enough to save them. The main focus is the Jedi Meld capability, but that can be not as advantageous against other Jedi or top-tier pilots (Caedus demonstrates this in Fury for example).
    Two High Jedi Council members that are long regarded as top-notch and include one of the best Jedi pilots of all time perhaps? Tiin also has his telepathy which he has shown gives him an advantage over other Jedi , and the meld should give him a nice amount of material to work with.

Some of Heel's starfigher cohesion is also based on assumption rather than example; Jaina-Corran-Saba don't have that much on-screen flying together.

My squad's cohesion is also not so bad itself (though not quite as good as Heels'): Tycho and Ooryl have flown together for ages, Kell has good experience with them both (Zsinj hunt), Tycho was Syal's flight instructor for a while. Varth's a Rogue through and through and will follow Tycho. Tiin and Adi have flown and trained together. Tycho and the Rogues have great respect for Jedi and won't have problems with them. Shara is practically Tycho 2.0, so they get a bonus for being pretty much the same person :p

All-in-all, Heel's has a pretty good team with some great cohesion, Force, skill, and experience. But, I think my team edges him out in talent and experience and I don't think his advantages in Force+cohesion are enough to secure his pilots the win.

23. Point Given

Dec 12, 2006
    I'll have a judgement up b the end of the weekend

Mikaboshi likes this.
  24. DarkEagle

Jan 10, 2009
    Opens boards, sees notifications :)
    sees "PointGiven posted in 25th SFD" :eek:

"Yay! He voted!" [face_dancing]
    "Wait. Maybe he voted for Heels" [face_worried]
    "Uh-oh- can I still win if he did vote for Heels?" [face_nail_biting][face_nail_biting]
    "Please have voted for me"[face_praying]
    Opens thread.....[face_plain]

25. Point Given

Dec 12, 2006
    I'm sorry

;)

heels1785 and DarkEagle like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.