main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Games The 25th SWC/EUC Starfighter Draft: Old Enough to Have Death Sticks (Congrats ma_petite!)

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by Point Given , Feb 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ma_petite

ma_petite Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 26, 2006
    As evidenced by my team, I will always draft best pilot. Yes, teams are important but ultimately it is a matchup of pilot vs pilot and why would you ever draft a pilot that wasn't the best one on the board?

I could see if, like the Pash vs Phennir situation where there is a solid argument for one over the other at which point people who value team matchups are going to pick either Rebel or Imperial, but for 2 Rebel pilots? Always choose the better one, especially in the first 3 rounds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    I believe that focusing on the feats and traits of each pilot/treating each dogfight as unique is a better way to evaluate the matchup, as opposed to relying heavily on the "who was taken first" argument and/or bringing up how current commishes/judges drafted in previously iterations.

Mikaboshi likes this.
  3. ma_petite

Nov 26, 2006
    Did you talk about Saba's feats? All I saw in your argument was that she was a powerful force user and while force does help a pilot, this is the star fighter draft, not a light saber battle which is what Saba has far more experience in than flying and dogfighting against skilled pilots.

DarkEagle likes this.
  4. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    I provided a link to a respect thread outlining actual skills of my pilot, including force feats and abilities that are relevant in combat, h-2-h or vehicular. Could you do the same? Or provide anything other than "my guy was drafted higher than yours?"

Mikaboshi likes this.
  5. KenKenobi

KenKenobi Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2002
  6. ma_petite

Nov 26, 2006
    My feats argument was a few pages ago in the thread when I successfully argued Pash over Phennir. That's when I actually wrote words as to what cool things Pash has done.

7. Evil Incarnate

Evil Incarnate Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 18, 2003
    Screw the force, I'm voting for Pash. He's just better, and doesn't need a crutch to be a good pilot.

Evil.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  8. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    I see a lot of generic statements and again, leaning on where Pash was taken relative to Turr. Nothing about skill level - just that he was "striving to get better."

If that works, more power to you. This back-and-forth is turning a bit unfriendly, and that's not how I'd like to finish the draft.

Mikaboshi likes this.
  9. ma_petite

Nov 26, 2006
    Sorry I thought this was all in good fun. Didn't realize you were reading differently.

heels1785 likes this.
  10. Wang Chi

Wang Chi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 3, 2013
  11. KenKenobi

KenKenobi Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2002
    While we wait for a decision, figured we could co-opt a tried-and-true convention of sports downtime...the ****post.

1. If the average JC user was given the ability to have a 100% hit rate with their fighter cannons, but retained all of their other ability, could they be draft-worthy?

Pros:
    Excellent trump partner
    Probably has played Rogue Squadron before so at least has starfighter spatial awareness
    A competent squad could surround and guide him through the battlefield in teams, letting him just fire away and sap enemy shields
    If Porkins can do it then what the hell

Cons:
    One-on-one matchups still probably a loss
    Is friendly fire an issue?
    Will get voted against by Evil and Jello who assume the ability comes from the Force and is thus irrelevant
    Porkins was a goddamn hero don't smear his name

2. The Thon Quotient

If you replaced one player on the other team with Thon, could your team win? If not, how many Thons would it take?

We can do this by looking at:

1. The minimum number of Thons needed to make your team favored
    2. The maxiumum number of Thons the other team could take on before your team becomes favored

For example, DarthTunick drafted:

Villian Dance (seriously? He drafted Villian Dance first? What weird Lakers reference was this?)/Octa Ramis/Ace Azzameen/Jake Farrell/Zev Senesca/Yolo Ziff/Valin Horn/Gunn Yage

If he was facing DarkEagle's team (Tycho/Tiin/Ooryl/Adi/Syal/Kell/Varth/Shara Bey), Tunes could probably win if you replaced DE's top 3 with Thons (Thon/Thon/Thon/Adi/Syal/Kell/Varth/Shara Bey).

But if DE picked who he replaced the Thons with, it'd probably swing after Adi (Tycho/Tiin/Ooryl/Thon/Thon/Thon/Thon/Thon not so much favored).

So Tunes would need his opponent here to add 3 to 5 Thons in order to win. That's assuming you could fit Thon into a fighter, which is an entirely different post.

3. Do you think Darth Vader would still be the best pilot in the SFD if he had to fly the Spaceballs bus every match?

?

12. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    This is the best thing ever posted in a draft thread.

I dunno. I think this current match is only close because it's the last match, so we're over thinking it. It's like watching an NBA Playoff game. A call you make in the first quarter vs. a call you make in the final 2 minutes of a close game. Or something like that.

I dunno. 'sey has a terrible argument - no one gives a crap about where a pilot is drafted, tbh. But, Pash is a better pilot. As much as I'd like to see teams, I don't think I can do it in good conscience.

A foul in the first minute of the first quarter should be a foul in the final minute of the fourth quarter. And Pash > Saba, if it decides the match or if it's called early in the match. Pash

13. Darth_Furio

Darth_Furio Chosen One star 8

Apr 17, 2008
    I love you cyber space people. Of course you could all be figments of my imagination and I'm in the matrix, but at least it's been a fun ride. :D

Jedi Knight Fett and Mikaboshi like this.
  14. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    And so the draft is ended. Congrats to ma_petite/s65horsey for her third championship! I'll close this and open the catchall draft thread shortly.

15. ma_petite

Nov 26, 2006
    I don't know how you can say where a pilot is drafted doesn't matter. I mean consistently drafted. Not some random Villian Dance, but it's been 25 drafts over the course of 15 years. That's a variety of different people's opinions on where these pilots stand against each other so logically if a pilot is always drafted before another it means the pilot is better because people should be drafting the better pilots first. If it is a matchup where the pilots tend to be drafted in the same round, then an argument is required and fun to do, like Pash vs Phennir.

Evil Incarnate likes this.
  16. Bardan_Jusik

Bardan_Jusik Former Manager star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2009
    Another successful draft concluded, and another win by Sey. Amazing. =D= Hard to believe that between the EUC and SWC that 25 of these have been hosted already. Many thanks to our commissioner and our judges for taking the time to put this together and run the draft, it is appreciated. Thanks also to the participants of the draft, without you all there would be no teams, no arguments and no game. And of course congratulations ma_petite on your victory, PG will contact you shortly regarding your prize!

SithOverlord101 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.