main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate The 2nd Term of the Obama Administration: Facts, Opinions, and Discussions

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ghost, Dec 6, 2012.

1. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    mikeximus can you tell us what difference it does make because i honestly cant recall that being explained?

i mean, im hardly a fan of this administration and i cant foresee a scenario in which i would vote for a democrat in 2016 but it seems to me this is a very dubious "scandal"

2. mikeximus

mikeximus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 6, 2012

If one of your loved ones was killed in Benghazi, wouldn't you want to know why? I think it makes a huge difference to those Families.

If they are willing to play stupid when it comes to telling the American People what happened and why, just so they don't have to explain themselves and look bad during an election, then yes it makes a difference.

If they are refusing to give Congress information that they are asking for, then when they are Court Ordered to do so, and that information is heavily redacted, I think it makes a difference. Esepcially when another copy of the information that isn't heavily redacted makes it way out, what didn't they want Congress to see? It makes a difference! To me at least.

3. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    So it makes a difference to eleven people what specific reason the terrorists had in attacking the Benghazi Consulate? Maybe this is news for you, but there are hundreds of reasons that each terrorist wants to kill Westerners for. Ranging from Western Imperialism in the middle east, the US' backing of Israel on stolen Arab land, our tolerance of anti-Islamic speech, the Wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, etc.

What does it matter which specific reason the killers were thinking about in this case?

4. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    It was like two years ago now so I don't remember the details, but I remember thinking the State Department definitely bungled the security. Hardly a vast conspiracy, though. More like a fairly common mistake (I also remember articles citing similar incidents under the Bush Administration).

5. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    mikeximus oh wow it really is about semantics, isnt it? poe's law strikes again, i guess

also why did you capitalize "Court Ordered" and "Families" and "People"?

6. mikeximus

Jan 6, 2012
    Yup those family members don't deserve answers. When the State Dept and the Obama admin for days were trying to tie the event to a Video pissing off Muslims, and the facts were known within hours that it had nothing to do with the Video that it was coordinated attack. I want answers as to why. That's just me though, you are entitled to your opinion, but most Americans agree with me. They think there needs to be more digging done. But again you are entitled to your opinion.

7. mikeximus

Jan 6, 2012

dunno just did... why do you ask?

8. Mr44

Mr44 VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 21, 2002
    To be fair Vivec, that's not what the probe is about.

Here are the 3 points that formed the rationale behind the vote to authorize the probe: (and remember, 7 democrats voted to authorize this probe)

One- was the U.S. adequately prepared for possible trouble abroad on the anniversary of Sept. 11?
    Two- did the government do everything it could to try to rescue the Americans who were under attack for seven and a half hours?
    Three-did the Obama administration tell the straight story about what happened?

Now, One is dubious at best at this stage of the game and should probably be retired. Two is important because it's something that has never been answered, but hinted at in recent emails that the administration lied about this. Three is kind of a catch all for numbers one and two, because Obama is acting in a very Nixon-esque manner with the missing emails and denials.

What isn't mentioned at all is "So it makes a difference to eleven people what specific reason the terrorists had in attacking the Benghazi Consulate?" I don't think Congress cares why terrorists did what they did.

The soundbite saying that was used was that " that in general the Pentagon's cooperation has been a model of how to deal with such an investigation, while the State Department and White House have been models of what not to do."

The military side of the investigation was done mostly by the House Armed Services Committee. The interim report from the committee, found that the military response to Benghazi was severely hampered because significant U.S. military assets were either out of position, or intentionally moved away as to not respond to the incident. No information has come out either way, but that forms the crux of the missing information. You'd think the President, as commander in chief, would know if he ordered the military forces to ignore the Benghazi attack. It only came to light because recently, emails which were provided by the administration emerged that differed and had changes depending on who they were supplied to. This aspect is what is forming this probe. I think if any information comes out that the administration intentionally ordered the military not to respond, basically sacrificing the US personnel there, there will be more serious consequences.

mikeximus likes this.
  9. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    What answers? These aren't answerable questions you're asking.
    Citation
    You have absolutely no idea what "most Americans" want. You are making **** up.

Mr44

I'm not talking about the probe; I'm talking about mikeximus' specific questions.

10. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002

well they're not words that are normally capitalized in the english language. you also capitalized "Video" in that other post, which... i mean, were you raised in germany?

11. mikeximus

Jan 6, 2012
    That's all you got for me? Capitalization/Grammar Nazi? How bout you actually Post something Constructive?

12. mikeximus

Jan 6, 2012
  13. mikeximus

Jan 6, 2012
  14. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002

throwing around nazi comparisons. presumably not german, then

15. mikeximus

Jan 6, 2012

Fact Check does a nice run down, The Obama Admin knew the night of the attack that a terroist group took credit for the attack, however, they sent out Rice to as many media outlets as they could trying to tie the attack to a protest that got out of hand...

http://www.factcheck.org/2012/10/benghazi-timeline/

16. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
  17. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    From the article you linked

"We cannot say whether the administration was intentionally misleading the public. "

18. mikeximus

Jan 6, 2012

Really? You're going to pick out one sentence that fits your opinion... I can do that too! From the same article but I will give you a paragraph:

But, at this point, we do know that Obama and others in the administration were quick to cite the anti-Muslim video as the underlying cause for the attack in Benghazi that killed four U.S. diplomats, including U.S. Ambassador to Libya Chris Stevens. And they were slow to acknowledge it was a premeditated terrorist attack, and they downplayed reports that it might have been.

19. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    why does it matter again? im still confused

20. mikeximus

Jan 6, 2012

Listen, it's not important to you and that's fine. It's your opinion. You're right to have that opinion.

However, you are just wrong in thinking that this isn't an important issue to most Americans. I want answers as to what happened, why it happened, why nothing was done to stop it, why did the Obama Admin try to push this as a Protest run amok when they knew that night it wasn't. They knew that there wasn't even a protest there at that Embassy. I don't care if it's a Dem or Rep, I am independent. I have values and beliefs that lean right and left. I am not simply going to take what information they give me just because I agree with a political philosophy.

21. mikeximus

Jan 6, 2012

It matters to me because if Obama was willing to lie, or hold information back from the American People because he was worried it might make him look bad during his election run, then that is a credibility issue and I want to know about it. If it doesn't matter to you, than that is fine. I am not going to tell you it should matter to you. But, it does matter to me!

22. Mr44

Mr44 VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 21, 2002
    @Mr44

I'm not talking about the probe; I'm talking about mikeximus' specific questions.

Ah. Nevermind then. Carry on.

23. mikeximus

Jan 6, 2012
    From USAToday;

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2014/05/01/benghazi-testimony-africom-general/8554559/

WASHINGTON — U.S. military personnel knew early on that the Benghazi attack was a "hostile action" and not a protest gone awry, according to a retired general who served at U.S. Africa Command's headquarters in Germany during the attack.
    While the exact nature of the attack was not clear from the start, "what we did know early on was that this was a hostile action," retired Air Force brigadier general Robert Lovell said in his prepared statement Thursday morning to members of the House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform. "This was no demonstration gone terribly awry."
    Lovell's testimony contradicts the story that the Obama administration gave in the early days following the Sept. 11, 2012, attacks on the U.S. Consulate that left four Americans dead, including U.S. Ambassador Christopher Stevens.
    Back then the administration insisted that the best intelligence it had from CIA and other officials indicated that the attack was a protest against an anti-Islam video that turned violent.

24. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Why are you discussing this? We have the original draft of the CIA's summary. They did think it was a spontaneous protest. That AFRICOM thought differently is immaterial. The White House claimed to developed its talking points based off the CIA assessment of what happened. The first CIA assessment said that there was a protest stemming from the "Innocence of Muslims" video. There is nothing untrue or unreasonable about the explanation the White House gave.

25. mikeximus

Jan 6, 2012

Because even after information started coming forward that it was not a protest gone awry, they still pushed their talking points that it was. They made changes to the CIA Assessment, tried to tell everyone that it was only one word they changed, when in fact they omitted sections and were caught in that lie:

http://www.factcheck.org/2013/05/benghazi-attack-revisited/

Then just in the last few weeks Judicial Watch (a conservative group) unearthed an email (dated 9/14) through a FOI Request that shows that the Admin was more worried about pushing the attack as a result of the Video rather than a policy failure. Again even as information was coming to light that it wasn't as the result of the Video:

http://www.judicialwatch.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/1919_production-4-17-14.pdf#page=14