main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate The 2nd Term of the Obama Administration: Facts, Opinions, and Discussions

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ghost, Dec 6, 2012.

1. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    The lens of history will show that Ms. Chelsea Manning, Mr. Edward Snowden, and Mr. Julian Assange were heroes.

Obama did the right thing by showing some kindness to Chelsea.

2. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    No, Obama should not have pardoned a reckless, self-aggrandising POS like Manning.

3. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Violent Violet Menace likes this.
  4. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
  5. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    Tbf, regardless of the politics here, Chelsea Manning was being severely mistreated by her jailers here. Maybe we could have her serve out the full sentence if our military wasn't filled monsters. They've poisoned the well, and should be blamed by those who wanted her to have served a full sentence.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  6. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    This guy is going to be very missed.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  7. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    There probably was mistreatment; but you have to understand, REFTELs (or cables in vernacular) at the TS level, which Manning leaked, actually do have the potential to compromise peoples lives. You know I don't normally use that sort of rhetoric, so assume that based on my experience with S/TS REFTELs I am being not only serious but accurate. She and Assange both recklessly endangered lives for their own public image. Indefensible; the best option would have been a quick shot in an alley.

8. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012

My understanding is that Pvt Manning only had access to SIPRNET access only, which would have limited his access to Secret or below. I thought that was one of the things distinguishing between Snowden and Manning.

9. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    That's kind of harsh.

Besides, I'm giving you an opportunity to both hold the position that she did something wrong AND hold the position that America sucks and you can't see her punished because of how much our prisons suck. It's a double win for you!

10. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    My understanding was that the practical segregation wasn't enforced?

11. Bazinga'd

Nov 1, 2012

Thats possible or improper classification of the documents to begin with. I doubt the full scope of the damage will ever be publicly disclosed.

12. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Lord Vivec - it's a complicated position and I suspect anyone who has held the clearance/dealt with REFTELs will get it. I don't dispute the necessity of leaking Collateral Murder; but distributing unredacted information, which Manning did to WikiLeaks, and WikiLeaks did in 2011, is irresponsible.

For example, if US intelligence have an asset in place that is providing them HUMINT on say, Islamic State the real identity wouldn't be in cables. What would be included say is the asset's handle/codename confirming information, i.e. <ASSET X> confirmed SIGINT intercept on Y.

That can be redacted. It's irrelevant and cavalier with a human life. And Manning, as an analyst? She had to have known this.

Lord Vivec likes this.
  13. jabberwalkie

jabberwalkie Jedi Master star 4

Dec 2, 2014
    I don't think that was a determining factor, but I'd have to go back and look.
    I assume you mean between the Secret, TS, and TS/SCI. Based on what I know, I think that pertained largely to Snowden but it wouldn't necessarily surprise me if it was also the case for Manning as well.
    Pretty doubtful.

14. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Well from memory Manning was able to pull most of those cables off a group drive, burn them to CD (which she labelled as Lady Gaga right? Am I remembering correctly?), and smuggle them out. Jesus H Christ, America, way to maintain OpSec. If I even tried to save the Protected/Classified daily distribution of REFTELs to my HDD I'd be in trouble. Anyway.

But I also recall she was able to find a DOD copy of collateral murder in someone's private folder, hence how it was leaked. So I mean, again, do you even opsec USA? :p

I couldn't even take my phone into the SATIN terminal room. Murica pls.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  15. Bazinga'd

Nov 1, 2012
    Yeah, Secret level clearances are given out like candy in DoD, many to whom are clearly not mature enough to possess them.

Jedi Ben and Ender Sai like this.
  16. jabberwalkie

Dec 2, 2014
    I was at a Civil Affairs Brigade the other day, couldn't even take my phone into the building. I'm not sure how Manning was allowed to do what he did in the first place since USB usage has been pretty well done away with, and copying media to CD drives is usually handled by someone else.
    You realize that most of those are because of the equipment those individuals are around and not because of the information they handle, right?

17. Bazinga'd

Nov 1, 2012
    Yes.

18. jabberwalkie

Dec 2, 2014
    So then there is a need. We give TS's to HUMINT's and LRP's all the time for the same reason, and a good portion of those guys are under 21 years of age.

19. Bazinga'd

Nov 1, 2012
    Maybe, but we over classify things to begin with.

20. jabberwalkie

Dec 2, 2014
    That's irrelevant. A good bit of this equipment is proprietary for the U.S. even though it may find its way to foreign sales years down the road.

21. Bazinga'd

Nov 1, 2012
    I disagree. To be fair, my experience is probably different than yours.

22. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    It's more you just don't, I think, fundamentally take secrecy as seriously as you should. I've said this before, and I'm still not going to say where, why what etc, but we used to just take some of your state dept people out for dinner, get drinks into them and they'd reveal everything we wanted to know. You could also do similar to the secret squirrels. Our secret squirrels loved it.

But yea I mean, I sort of feel - collateral murder needed to be leaked. The rest of it had no evidence of coverup and just fed the ridiculous affair with transparency for no good reason. People don't have a right to know everything, and I know you two at least will agree with me on that. But all Manning and Snowden mostly did was undermine America's position for petty reasons.

23. jabberwalkie

Dec 2, 2014
    Looking at it from a national security stand point, the level of classification is what is given. Whether it's more than what you, me, or private joe snuffy might believe it should have is irrelevant. To access that, you have to meet the requirements to be allowed to access it. Largely, the authority classifying it understands how it may relate to other more sensitive areas.
    The State Department..... Yeah enough said there.

Anyways, that street does flow both ways.

24. Bazinga'd

Nov 1, 2012

Listen I dont pretend to know more than what the OCA knows or to substitute my judgment for them. But over classification is common place.

25. jabberwalkie

Dec 2, 2014
    Great, then whether it's common place or not is irrelevant. The classification that it's given is what it is.