main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The 3D Revolution: Scorsese's "Hugo" Wins Golden Globe for Best Director

Discussion in 'Archive: The Amphitheatre' started by Jabbadabbado, Mar 12, 2010.

1. JohnWesleyDowney

JohnWesleyDowney Jedi Master star 5

Jan 27, 2004
  2. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    So to those who have seen them: are Tintin and Hugo movies that really should be seen in 3D? I don't much enjoy going to the theater, and most 3D films are either converted in post or are movies I don't really care about anyway, but I'm pretty curious about these two. Will I be missing much if I wait to see them in 2D?

3. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Tin Tin you mostly wont miss out on too much, though the two showcase action sequences were probably enhanced by the 3D.

4. duende

duende Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 28, 2006
    i thought it was pretty well integrated into hugo, pulling you into the world of the movie rather than being obvious and gimmicky ("oh look, there's a sword in my face.") still, i don't think there's any particular reason to recommend against the 2d version.

5. JohnWesleyDowney

Jan 27, 2004

I thought 3 D was used more effectively in Hugo than in any other movie I've seen so far.

Scorcese used it brilliantly.

6. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

The_Four_Dot_Elipsis Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 3, 2005
    It's a necessity with Hugo.

Not so much with Tintin.

7. madman007

madman007 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 22, 2007
  8. JohnWesleyDowney

Jan 27, 2004
  9. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

The_Four_Dot_Elipsis Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 3, 2005
    Well, isn't Marty involved with the HFPA in film restoration? I'm not saying he doesn't deserve it (he certainly deserves it more than any of the other candidates although I can't speak for Hazanavicius's effort yet), but that's a pretty crooked organization right there, and the award itself is more of a joke than the Oscar.

I'd dig seeing Marty win a second Oscar though. For a massive financial bomb, no less. Certainly more deserving than Payne, who looks like he might be in with a shot although he really shouldn't be for subpar work like The Descendants.

10. JohnWesleyDowney

Jan 27, 2004

I'm happy for him. It's a superb film.