main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The 8th EUC Starfighter Draft: (Possible Improvements Being Discussed)

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by Kyptastic, Nov 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Sure he is. But we're not talking about his contemporary Rogues, we're talking about ones during the OT period.

2. Shadow_of_Durron

Shadow_of_Durron Jedi Knight star 6

May 2, 2003
    You mean such incredible pilots as Capt. Cinda Turheel, Capt. Hanc Thorben and Lt. Barlon Hightower? So, since two of those pilots also made the rank of Captain, and also flew right alongside Luke, Wedge, Tycho, Wes and Hobbie, they should be third-rounders?

Oh, wait, that's right. None of those clowns are even on the draft list.

See, here I thought this was Shira Brie vs. Kell Tainer. You know, just them and their skill. Not a pissing contest over who flew with the better assortment of pilots. Silly me, I guess.

3. ThrawnRocks

ThrawnRocks Jedi Master star 6

Apr 10, 2004
    In that case I'm going to vote for Kell. I'm somewhat unsure of who I should pick, and I don't want to be the deciding judge, and I feel that Kell's experience is at least enough to give him a fighting chance here.

4. New_York_Jedi

New_York_Jedi Force Ghost star 6

Mar 16, 2002
    Oh you are vastly blowing THAT out of proportion. "Luke had a glimpse of a construction droid, thought they there were going to plow right into it, and then they were level again and accelerating along the avenue"- Rebel stand 293.

No where does it say that Luke's mind was blown or he was particularly impressed. He may have had a thought they would crash, but nothing indicates he was shocked when they didn't. He didn't even make a comment like "look out!" or "nice move."

5. Kyptastic

Kyptastic VIP star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    I'm going to have to go with Kell as well. I think the fact Shira was shot down by Luke is overplayed, especially because she wasn't expecting it, and she lacks the experience that Kell does.

Grand Final

Game 22 - Club Vandersexxx (1) vs. Sgt Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Team (1)

Match 3

Number 6

Adi Galia vs. Iran Ryad

6. Shadow_of_Durron

May 2, 2003
    Didn't say Luke was flabbergasted, or even that he said, "OMG awesome move lol!". However, he still saw the droid, and quite clearly estimated that Kell was going to crash right into it. Call me crazy, but I would think Luke-freakin'-Skywalker's estimations on such matters are safe estimations. In this case, though, Kell shot that estimation down.

Yeah, it may be just a little thing, but notice how it's an actual feat of piloting skill. Overplayed or not, relatively insignificant or not, it's still says something about Kell's abilities. Not who he happened to fly with, and not a flocking rank. Sweet Jebus, those are the flimsiest things to judge a pilot by. I made an attempt to try to build up Ilo using those same crappy building blocks, and I rightfully got shot down. Funny how Brie gets different treatment (by some), though, isn't it?

And let's not speak of blowing things out of proportion, eh? ;) :p

Kell rules! :D

Anyways, this match = boom. Skill, mucho Force and massive edge in quality of experience goes to Adi.

7. ThrawnRocks

Apr 10, 2004
  8. Kyptastic

Sep 10, 2005
    Agreed

Grand Final

Game 22 - Club Vandersexxx (2) vs. Sgt Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Team (1)

Match 4

Number 4

Kyp Durron vs. Black 2 trumped with Black 3

9. New_York_Jedi

New_York_Jedi Force Ghost star 6

Mar 16, 2002
    crap

good game durron.

10. Shadow_of_Durron

May 2, 2003
    Yeah, absolutely, bro. It's never, ever dull facing you and your squads.

Though, just in case it needs to be said, I suppose I'll say it. Slight edge in overall skill over the Blacks, a big experience edge and some of the absolute best examples out there of how one properly uses the Force to amplify their piloting skill should give this one to the Kypper.

11. Kyptastic

Sep 10, 2005
    Yeah, Kyp wins this.

We'll just wait for the other judges to have their say though...

12. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Can I say that two good Imperial officers are better than a stinkin' Jedi any day of the week? I can? Good.

Unfortunately, despite their moral superiority and the fact that they have the honor of serving the Emperor, that filthy Jedi's tricks and magicks would let him win. It's a shame, really, that they weren't able to be wiped out.

:p

Winner: Kyp.

Congrats, Shadow. If you win any more drafts, you're gonna find the Sherman Anti-trust act killing you for monopoly. :p

EDIT: I have decided that any time an Imperial pilot loses, I'm going to commence with a propagandistic excuse like I did this time. It was fun. :p

13. TypoCelchu

TypoCelchu Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 1, 2005
    Congrats Shurron. When's the next one?

14. Shadow_of_Durron

May 2, 2003
  15. PRENNTACULAR

PRENNTACULAR VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2005
    Congrats Shurron.

16. Kyptastic

Sep 10, 2005
    Congratulations Shadow_of_Durron, winner of the 8th EUC Starfighter Draft. Praise him with great Praise

Well done to New_York_Jedi on making the final, only bad numbers saw you go down this time.

I'm looking to start the next draft in a week, but I just want to get a few opinions from regulars on whether we should make some changes to the draft, namely

1) Should Anakin and Vader be considered the same person for the next draft

2) Should we change the format of the premlinaries, having more lead up amtches and giving people more oppourtunity in the draft

3) Would something like Prep be good for this draft

If you have any other queries or want to request changes feel free to post it in this thread and we'll discuss them.

17. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    I. No, I think they're fine as they are. The problem with putting them as one person is that he really, really, really changed. Suddenly, without Anakin, the PT Jedi squads are toast. Without Vader, the Imperial squads are toast. Which one will we pick? Vader, because he lasted longer? Anakin, because he changed at the end? It'd remove a key first rounder and since there are 12 squads, it'll further hamper late picks who already have to deal with crap choices for a leader. There needs to be more first tier pilots.

II. I'd need you to explain what exactly this would entail before giving an answer.

III. Same as II.

18. PRENNTACULAR

PRENNTACULAR VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2005
    Not sure if I can be considred a regular at this point, but I hope to become one.

1. No. But I do think that they need to be two complelty different people. Because, as Jello pointed out, they changed. A lot.

2. Not sure what you mean here.

3. I think so. I think that something like a prep does add a bit to a draft, and it would make the battles more interesting.

19. Shadow_of_Durron

May 2, 2003
    Much as I don't like the idea of Vader and Anakin being seperate, like Jello said, it's an unfortunate necessity in this draft. Pretty much what he said. Without Vader, the two Imp squads we usually have are handicapped and handcuffed earlier than they already are. Take Vader away, and then what? Fel goes, then almost certainly a Stele/Phennir team, and then, what, Brie starts going in the second round now with the Baron?

Similarly, a PT squad without Anakin at the top might as well pack their bags, because, depending on their matchups, the chances of them really getting anywhere past the top six or so squads is jack and ****. And Jack left town.

A regular season/playoff format could work in this draft, though. Don't see why it couldn't.

And much like with the Jedi Draft, IMO, prep time for this game is not a good idea. For this one, I'd assume we'd start taking craft and other things like that into account, and that just leads to a whole heap of mess.

20. Kyptastic

Sep 10, 2005
    One more thing

4) Upping the squads from 6 to 8 members (at last count we have 123 pilots, so numbers aren't a problem if we keep the number of teams at 12)

I was thinking that we would have two conferences of 6, with the top four from each group going through to the playoffs, with a final eight system that works like the AFL final eight. I can explain it later if you want.

On prep, adding crafts is a poor idead. When referring to prep, I was thinking more along the lines that a pilot would just get a simulator package on the opponent, which would give them time to practice and prepar strtegies to use against the opponent. The prepped player wouldn't be able to use different craft, weapons or things like bombs or assasination however.

21. ThrawnRocks

Apr 10, 2004
    I would say don't change anything, except keep adding pilots to the roster.

22. TypoCelchu

Feb 1, 2005
    1. No, I don't honestly think that's completely necessary. My major gripe about the Vader/Anakin issue is that they're not being judged completely seperate. Vader has enough talent and experience in his own right to be judge COMPLETELY seperate from Anakin, and I think it should be that way. I just don't see the purpose of seperating an individual and then giving all the benefits of experience and feats to one of them and cutting off that very same benefit from the other. Make them one person, or judge them seperately, is what I say.

2. No, I don't think I'm in favor of changing the tried an true format here. While it might be a nice change of pace, I don't think it's really necessary. I'm one of those "If it isn't broken, don't fix it", type of people.

3. No. Prep time is not really a feature I think would work very well in this particular draft. Sure, the Comic Book Draft uses this well, but here I think it just clutters the arguements and judgements when it really shouldn't even have that much effect. If someone wouldn't be able to beat a pilot before, they'll likely not be able to beat them after a prep in the sense of piloting.

4. I think this could work/not work depending on what you want to do with it. I had thought about this a while back, and I think it COULD work, if you allowed certain things:

A) Even though you draft 8 pilots, you can only use 6 per match, which adds a new level of tactical development, and

B) You should be able to trade off the extra two picks for better pilots, etc. This allows you to trade up for a better pilot, while still keeping your required 6 pilots for matches and allows other teams to have up to 10 pilots to draw from.

But even then, I think this is a risky move. Might be interesting, might be a flop. Even now, the bottom pool of pilots is rather stale... It might mean that the extra two pilots may ever be used.

23. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    It (Typo's #4) sounds dynamic and might even be worth a trial run, but he's right about the bottom of the pool. There's not much to say about a lot of them and not many reasons to ever use them.

24. TypoCelchu

Feb 1, 2005
    One more thing, before I forget: I wasn't a big fan of restricting trading until the third round. I think that it allows for a more dynamic game to allow it, and works fine as long as there is a decent level of policing by the Commish, as had been mentioned the last draft.

25. Kyptastic

Sep 10, 2005
    My main reason for wanting to restructure the tournament format is that I think that a minimum two matches is a bit low, especially for new players who may not be sure about ordering of their pilots or trumping. Giving them the extra matches gives them more chance to learn about these things and turn there fortunes around.

Say we had two divisions of 6 squads. Every team in a division would play the other teams in their division once. After the five rounds the top three from each division go through to the finals. The top teams from each division would play off, with the winner going through to the final, whilst the loser goes through to the semi finals. The second placed team from the one division will play the third placed team from the other division and vice versa. The winners of those two finals face each other for the right to play the loser of the top place playoff in the semi, with the winner of that match going through to the final.

Such a finals system would almost be a replica of the last four rounds of what the tournament is now, but with the added benefit of giving everyone more preliminary matches, as well as providing a better test of each team in regards to the teams around them.

On Typo's idea, it has some merit, but if a drafter only has to use 6 pilots anyway, whats the point of drafting your last two pilots, who you're more than likely not to use in such a scenario. By making 8 pilots compulsory fliers, even if some are below par, it means GM's have to work harder to work out strategies and how to argue these pilots. Something like prep could help for these characters as well. Basically I want to see more pilots used, because there's at least 20 pilots who have never been used on the roster, and under the current situation there is no pressing need for people to draft them.

[hr]

On Vaderkin, it's something we need to have a concrete decision on for the next draft IMO. Something that is agreeable to judges and GM's alike and will be adhered to. I agree that we need to keep both seperate due to the lack of first round options for both Imperial teams and PT teams, but how we judge them needs to be addressed.

[hr]

On adding piltos to the roster, are there piltos people think are missing that they think should be on there? Someone like Lando maybe, even though he's not a fighter pilot by nature...

[hr]

On trading, I agree with Typo. As long as explanations are given, I don't see any reason why trades can't be permitted at the start of drafting. By the third round, its harder to change the style of team that you're looking for. Allowing trading in the first round would allow for complete turnarounds in the way GM's want to go.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.