main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The "A New Hope rehash" issue

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Deman, Dec 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth__Lobot

Darth__Lobot Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 29, 2015

Whoah... TCW is ok... but one of the greatest animated series of all time? LMFAO, there are Anime series from the 80s that take a dump on TCW.

The Micro-Series is also MUCH better than TCW.

2. Darth__Lobot

Dec 29, 2015

Criminal? Huh? When did I ever say I had a bootleg copy of SW? Huh?

You are seriously one of the worst trolls on this site.

Satipo likes this.
  3. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Let's calm down on the crime spree, here. Discussing illegally obtained or bootleg material is prohibited... PT vs OT rubbish is prohibited... derailing this thread with offtopic posts about the prior 2 issues is prohibited. Crime spree, I tell ya. Pump the brakes or be force-exited.

deathfromabove and Darth__Lobot like this.
  4. Darth__Lobot

Dec 29, 2015

Sorry... I definitely don't want this to happen:

5. MasterDekan

MasterDekan Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jun 14, 2005

That's cool. I didn't see substantially different. I saw interesting characters with internal conflicts that open the door for a substantially different story, and I'm extremely interested in that...I just feel they never walk us through that door in this film.

6. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012
    I just returned from my second viewing then.

The movie does indeed improve with a second viewing because by that stage the nostalgia has worn off. This makes a marked difference because you become more invested in the characters and story rather than squeeing inside your head that you're seeing a brand new Star Wars film. Admittedly, the echoes of ANH aren't as distracting this time around. My theory is this: long term fans of Star Wars, based on their perceptions of TFA, walked into TFA expecting the film to reflect the tone and feel of the first three films. The trouble is, they got precisely what they expected in a thematic, iconographic, structural, and pacing sense.

But, once you've had that viewing, all of the fan "mania" has been absorbed - this is a good thing because you are watching the film on its own merits. That's precisely what I experienced just then. yes, the nods and winks are still present but they do not seem to bog the story down as much because Abrams has given us good characters with a competent script and an amazing production. The best way to view Star Wars is not so much a sequel, or the second coming of sci-fi. See it for what it is - Star Wars.

Mark Hamill said it best - at the end of the day, it's just a movie. But a damn good one at that!

7. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013

Well done on the similarities.

I hadn't thought of the Rathtars connection to the Dianoga before but that is good.

Finn does have a lot of Luke in his story so being dragged by the monster is just another.

Ricardo Funes and griffon2k like this.
  8. DebonaireNerd

Nov 9, 2012
    TFA is a soft reboot. It doesn't undo anything that has happened in the past because of the explicit references to Darth Vader, presence of the classic cast, and the fact that the opening crawl mentions the rise of the First Order. But, the universe is reestablishing itself by having a newly coined name for the villain and rebellion, new heroes, new but familiar settings (Jakku = Tatooine), and an overall similar concept in terms of how one generation ripples the one to follow. So, while nothing is overridden, TFA is establishing itself in a way that is different but the same with settings and characters that strongly echo the ones we've seen before.

9. Green_Destiny_Sword

Green_Destiny_Sword Force Ghost star 5

Jun 20, 2001
    I just had my second viewing yesterday so it's very fresh in my mind. And it was in a theater with 8 people in it. No screaming. No applause whatsoever. The exact opposite of my opening weekend IMAX experience. And I appreciate the movie's quality even more now. I was in a ridiculous adrenaline rush the first viewing. This time as noted above, the nods to the OT were not so glaring at all. What I did notice this time around was how well shot it was. The camera work pulls you into the action. When Rey and Finn run into the Falcon to find the controls, the camera is darting right along with them bringing such a frenetic feel to the scene. On my first viewing I thought Kylo Ren took off his helmet a lot. This time I realize he actually doesn't. He almost does it to disarm his enemy in both situations (Rey and Solo). It just adds to the fact that he is far more interesting and complex villain than ANH Vader.

and I confirmed my initial thought on the film- it is much much more like ESB than ANH. Who would've thought Vader would offer Luke a role at his side? What would happen to Han? How could the rebellion survive? What would Luke do? ESB was all about turning points and cliffhangers. And so is TFA. It's such a phenomenal set up for ep 8. There's so much to debate and speculate about based on what we actually saw on screen and not the endless detail-filling required with the PT. I loved this film on the first viewing but have even greater respect for it seeing it without the frenzied crowd.

It's a SW film that restored the mythos, wonder, SOUL, energy and FUN the franchise lost long ago. after being trounced by the far superior Matrix, Jar Jar'd to no end, and critically ripped, Star Wars has finally returned to its proper position in pop culture. TFA redeemed the franchise and I couldn't be happier.

10. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    I had round 7 the other day. I can see the similarities no doubt, but it boggles my mind that people can't see the myriad differences. I'm not saying people are wrong to feel that way, just that to me, it's very much its own story (and a cracking one to boot). I can't see the issue. I agree with GDS - I couldn't be much happier.

11. Strongbow

Strongbow Force Ghost star 5

Nov 6, 2014

Imma disagree a bit. I LOVE the micro-series, but it has some weird moments. And it takes up huge chunks of its screen time with very stylized combat scenes. Those are fun, but for example, none of the clones are ever really characters.

TCW has some weaknesses, but it's a great series too. Though I admit, I like Rebels better.

Artoo-Dion likes this.
  12. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    It's about 'how' you look at the differences, not if you can see them IMO. Homage vs fan film, enough vs. drop in the ocean of recycled bits, etc.

13. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    True but at the same time in it's own way it "ignores" most of the accomplishments of the OT save for Luke saving his father and Anakin destroying the Sith.

From a particular OT view (as opposed to the overall saga) what has happened?

Luke is now the Obi-Wan/Yoda waiting for the right time for the "new hope" to rise after the destruction of the Jedi Order, Leia is back with the "rebellion" and now in Bail Organa's place as the leader hence General Organa, Han is back as a smuggler, the "Empire" is back, the Republic is "dissolved" by Snoke who is the "Emperor" with his henchman "Vader" Kylo Ren along with Hux and the rest using their new "Death Star".

Throughout the movie characters like Rey, Finn, Poe, BB-8 and Han have story and character points from Luke, Leia, Han, R2, 3PO, Vader etc passed around. Finn is a lot of Luke. He wants to escape, "pretends" to be a Stormtrooper, wants to help the beautiful girl.

The odd thing to me is how Rey is that much more TPM Anakin than Luke while Kylo Ren is more the AOTC Anakin (without the goodness and heart).

As I said on other threads this reset makes TFA and the ST just as much a sequel to events of ROTS as it does ANH.

One wonders how deliberate that was? On the one hand you reset the saga to the OT basic start but also have the story be a sequel to the PT at the same time.

I don't see the problem in acknowledging that this is a story that takes wholesale from episodes I-VI and especially IV for it's basic story.

It very much does the same thing that Lucas himself did only not in near as clever a way. It is still quite clever in many ways just not at the level that Lucas took it to. I think that even without the Ring Theory article to inform us of the approach the overt remixing of the elements to this level would be very apparent.

I'm glad you are finally happy. I have been ever so. Of course when it comes to Star Wars movies the audience has never been unhappy but as we know there is a fraction of the audience that was.

What as stated above kind of surprises me though is that TFA in many ways "ignores" the OT and leads and carries on from the PT.

TheOneX_Eleazar likes this.
  14. Darth Nave

Darth Nave Jedi Master star 4

Dec 27, 2015
    That's probably one of the best unintentionally funny film moments of all time.

15. JediKnightWax

JediKnightWax Jedi Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    A New Hope had zero tension character moments that contrasted nicely with the rest of the film. Luke and C3PO, Luke and Obi-wan, Luke and Han. Can't find those in TFA, there was always some kind of danger lurking around the corner.

16. Stoneymonster

Stoneymonster Force Ghost star 4

May 8, 2002
    I'm trying to think of some.... after Luke's introduction it was pretty much constant danger in ANH to me... besides the medal ceremony.

17. deathfromabove

deathfromabove Jedi Master star 2

Feb 18, 2007
    In other words, its a rehash.The filmakers were either too afraid or unwilling to come up with a brand new story.

Riven_JTAC likes this.
  18. MidKnighT

MidKnighT Force Ghost star 4

May 23, 2005

Actually it is not technically a reboot. It is a rebootquel (like Jurassic World and Terminator Genisys). Check this out:

http://boards.theforce.net/threads/...ters-sanctuary.50036931/page-68#post-53159558

http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2015/12/31/the-year-in-rebootquels

deathfromabove likes this.
  19. DebonaireNerd

Nov 9, 2012

As I said in an earlier post, there is a good reason for this. No, it's not the most adventurous thing they could have done but the formulaic return to form, ironically enough, has left the possibilities wide open as to where Rian can take the next two sequels. The release for Episode VIII has now been pushed back to December of 2017 which gives more time for rewrites and shooting. Keeping in mind that Rian's script has been in the works since Abrams commenced writing for VII. Also consider the fact that there is little left to rehash. Think of Episode VII as being the film where they got the crowd pleasing "tribute" out of their system.

20. Bacbacca

Bacbacca Jedi Master star 3

Nov 26, 2011
    I think thats kind of reaching. The Lightsaber in the box it think has more of a connection. And the oscillator on SKB has the same shape as the exhaust port on the DS! That's freaking nuts!

You mean Obi-wan.
    When Luke came in he was cleaning droids and complaining about not wanting to stay at the farm.

21. Stoneymonster

Stoneymonster Force Ghost star 4

May 8, 2002
    No I mean Luke. Once he met Obiwan he'd already been attacked and soon after the ball was rolling.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.